Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Climate Change" aka Global Warming in the media

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭mgmt

I love when people say a sentence like 'global warming... I'm freezing here' and then claim that therefore climate change must be made up, that always cracks me up

aren't you a clever person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

mgmt wrote: »
    Fock, they even have a goddam 'Climate Change' Minister in the UK. Turn on any kids news show and its all about global warming disaster stories.

Isn't Ciaran Cuffe a minister of state for Climate Change or some other similar title?

The whole Global warming stance started off with the right idea, stopping greenhouse and other gases, but it didn't stop there and it wont stop at Co2 and fossil fuels. Everything produced by man affects the local environment and everything can be attributed in some way to climate change.
    Unless we go back to the stone age, people will rabbit on about some gas produced by man affecting Climate change.

I support the initial reasons (pollution) but man has little or no affect on climate compared to the sun.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

mgmt wrote: »
    aren't you a clever person

Heck, I don't normally like to think so, but when it comes to Climate Dynamics the level of understanding of the general public seems to be pretty low. I remember that a letter with that argument got published in a national newspaper last winter along with one questioning how co2 can be trapping heat when it allows the sun's energy in in the first place.

Personally I blame the scientists themselves for not making more of an effort to explain the basic concepts behind climate. How many people have actually tried to learn the physics instead of just reading other people's idea's on the web?

If salt levels change in the Carribbean , the gulf of Mexico will stop and affect the Entire Global climate resulting in another Ice Age.

Thanks for that bit of information. Is it related to the thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

So no one remembers those chunks of ice the size of countries breaking off from the antartic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Thanks for that bit of information. Is it related to the thread?

Did you even read the thread title?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Just because someone is a "scientist" doesn't mean their work is necessarily valid or useful.

“We can have a proper result, but only by including a load of garbage!”

http://www.anenglishmanscastle.com/HARRY_READ_ME.txt

And then Google "Climategate".

The entire field of climate prediction apparently rests upon computer models. I have personally observed that many scientists are sh!t at writing software, peer review or not. Also, GIGO.

Therefore, I am dubious of strong conclusions heaped on weak predictions.

More importantly, I think that efforts to curb climate change are pointless and distract us from more substantial issues like poverty and the limited availability of fossil fuels.

Change hurts poor people, but people lack the will to tackle poverty.

There is far too much technophobia and conflicting politics in the eco lobby, e.g. wr.t. nuclear power. The hairshirt lefty brigade will not be happy until we are back sitting shivering in the dark.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

oh how i love these threads, many lol. sinks posts were good

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Always Find it interesting that People harp on about the 'Science' behind 'Climate Fluctuations' as if it were above reproach, as someone already pointed out its Conjecture based on Skewed models which were biased to produce the 'Correct' Results

then we have people trying to Equate Climateoligists to Neuroscientist and Physicists, thats Bollox, the closest thing Climatology comes to in the Sciences is Scientology, or that other 'Science' Economics, and We all saw how well those worked out.

Just because theres this Magical Consensus it does not automatically make something which is Utter Bollox true, if that were the Case then there would be a GOD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

TBH I am rapidly losing faith that this thread is going to facilitate a debate on climate change that is in anyway helpful or interesting to anyone.
    Ice core samples going a back hundreds of thousands years, have clearly demonstrated the cycles of Global warming and cooling the planet goes through. CO2 levels rise and CO2 levels fall, the Atlantic conveyor speeds up and slows down. I believe in energy efficiency, I believe in environmental protection. Humanity can indeed have a negative impact on the environment, but I think the carbon tax lobby flatter us with how great the effect is.

Who was paying the Carbon taxes before the Last ice age started? That’s right nobody; the Earth will go through its cycle regardless of our presence here or not. But no we can’t say that now, sure how can we. We won’t be able to generate new and imaginative tax revenue now will we. It’s all about the big picture and the Earth has left a long legacy of evidence. I won’t even start a how some in the climate camp, discount the important role the Sun plays in all of this. No it’s all our fault, more taxes, blah, blah, blah. There’s climate change occurring alright it’s happened before we arrive and it will occur long after we’re gone.

Well said , id be more inclined to believe this way of thinking tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭twinytwo

If salt levels change in the Carribbean , the gulf of Mexico will stop and affect the Entire Global climate resulting in another Ice Age.

EM.... the earth has am ice age every 10,000 years or so... considering the last one was over 10,000 years ago we are actually due one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The global war on carbon is a war that can never be won because it really doesn't exist, it's all smoke and mirrors.

If you can control carbon you can control the world. People fell into the trap, now everyone will pay the carbon tax forever... for no reason!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Ironically enough it's large industries that will be hit hardest by the carbon tax and they seem to be the ones sponsoring the "Top Scientists" who say there is no climate change.

Is there a connection? Tune into the Conspiracy Theories Forum and find out.

Thanks Bobblepuzzle. Best shill I ever paid out for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

humanji wrote: »
    Ironically enough it's large industries that will be hit hardest by the carbon tax and they seem to be the ones sponsoring the "Top Scientists" who say there is no climate change.

Is there a connection? Tune into the Conspiracy Theories Forum and find out.

Thanks Bobblepuzzle. Best shill I ever paid out for.
    And Al Gore is is on the road to make billions with his company that buys and sells carbon credits. Save the planet my ass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

He doesn't make money from that. He makes his money from appearing in Futurama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Lumen wrote: »
    The entire field of climate prediction apparently rests upon computer models. I have personally observed that many scientists are sh!t at writing software, peer review or not. Also, GIGO.

Therefore, I am dubious of strong conclusions heaped on weak predictions.
    +1000

I've had first hand professional experience of this kind of stuff. Page after page of comment-less monolithic code (often FORTRAN) written many moons ago by some unnamed, unknown individual, modified endlessly by generations of people (also without any supporting documentation or comments regarding changes made) until quite frankly nobody knows what the code does with any degree of certainty.

I once saw a truly mind boggling section of FORTRAN in a simulation model (for a scientific space probe's attitude and orbit control system, if you must know) that had but one comment in it ... "If you think you know what the last 50 lines of code do you're kidding yourself."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

1) The Gulf of mexico is a geographical fature, It cannot disappear.

2) We are due another iceage any millenia now.

3) The Gulf Stream is already moving further south and west and has been since forever.

Advertisement