Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

euro to sterling

Options
  • 16-12-2010 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭

im going north soon and will be changing over money. anyone know what the cost is to change? does it depend on the amount? would i be better going up with euro and getting it changed in the shops?

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

How far up North are you going? If it's Newry and the like some of the shops up there actually take Euro, and you can get some decent deals. The amount it costs to change it in a bank here depends on how much you change. I know with BOI the minimum is €1.25 and the max is €6.35. I assume other banks are similar. You can change it commission free if you have a student account with them or if you have a Golden years account.

AFAIK the some post offices do commission free FX, but the only drawback is that they'll only sell you the sterling, so if you've got any left over when you come back, they won't buy it back from you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭IRISHROVER98

banbridge and newry. the current rate is 0.84 but is there any chance of getting 85 or dare i say 86 anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,570 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Unless you are doing a few k just get it from an atm, not worth inter county driving to save £5.

it is cash that i will have, its not in my account

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

0.84 is the mid rate, you're not going to get that in a bank.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

It's hovering just under 82p at the bank at the moment. Some shops in Banbridge and Newry will give you a better rate than that, some won't (the days of 1 euro to 1 pound are pretty much gone).

The difference in whether you go to an ATM in the North or get it at a bank first in ROI is only going to be a few euro, and possibly not worth the hassle.

so just change it in the bank and cut my losses?

It'd probably be the handiest. Some banks have a buyback deal where you can bring back a certain amount and if you keep your receipt they'll change it back to Euro at the same rate, so you might make up some of the loss there.

Advertisement