Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thorntons bin collections Lucan

• 16-12-2010 11:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭

Got a flyer in today - seems like great value - they dont seem to have their collection schedule on their website updated to include Lucan. I'm just wondering does anyone know if they collect each of the bins (black, green and brown) every week.

Currently our black bin is collected every 2nd week with the brown bin collected in the week in between. Also the green bin is collected every second week - I missed it one week and then 2 wks later they didnt collect cos of the snow so I have a mountain of cardboard that needs to be collected.. The brown bin is never full anyway every second week.

So, anyone know what Thorntons service is like?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,771 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Would you not consider citybin? I've been with them since they started in Lucan a few years ago and they haven't missed a single collection. Their service is faultless

Just a few simple examples: I've seen them open the bin and check if the lorry had completely emptied it. They place the bin back exactly where I left it (instead of in the middle of the road like the council)

Payment is by direct debit, all invoicing and statements is via email. You get a free text message the night before any collection to inform you which bin will be collected in the morning.

It's cheaper than the council too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭Radiotower

Thanks Unkel - had a look at their website and it doesnt look like they collect in my estate but seems similar to what Thorntons are offering.

Anyone know where I can drop the waste off myself because there is a big pile gathering - as I said the green bin hasn't been emptied in a month and there is still another week to go till they come and it's looking more and more like snow and more disruptions so I dont know when it'll get emptied.. The black bin is full since last weekend cos we had a party in the house and will prob be full again once its emptied on Monday - then God knows what the collections will be like over xmas and new year with bank holidays and all that so if I could bring a few bags of stuff somewhere it would relieve the situation a bit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,561 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I was with Citybin but moved to Thorntons recently - the main reason being that Citybin increased their charges by 33% as soon as the Corpo increased theirs.

Thorntons collect the black bin on Monday and then the green and brown the following Monday.
    Also, they don't charge a surcharge for each kilo over a certain weight. It's a flat charge per bin ... another reason I left Citybin.

Thorntons have not missed a collection, despite the snow.
    Citybin did but at least they rescheduled it for later that week.

As for the Corpo ..... amazing how their lorries can't operate in the snow yet all the others can. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Radiotower, change over to one of the private contractors and you'll then have two black bins. They should deliver your new bin within a day or two. Then use it as a reserve and send back your Corpo bin once you get through the backlog.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

you can bring stuff to Ballymount recycling centre

IIRC they can take domestic waste but you have to pay for it, recyclable stuff is free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

There are very few people who use council bin collection now.
    Usually on council bin day there would be about 5 bins out for approx 60 houses in my small world outside my front door.
    I noticed a few weeks back that City Bin did not do a collection and that most people used the council as back up. About 50 council bins left out.

So back of envelope maths -
    €10.50 per bin
    5 regular users = regular revenue of €52.50
    60 houses = potential revenue of €630
    A loss of revenue of €577.50
    Multipled that by the entire catchment area.

How can SDCC sustain these losses and provide services?
    They sure shot themselves in the foot when they increased bin charges!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,771 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Heroditas wrote: »
    I was with Citybin but moved to Thorntons recently - the main reason being that Citybin increased their charges by 33% as soon as the Corpo increased theirs.

Thorntons collect the black bin on Monday and then the green and brown the following Monday.
    Also, they don't charge a surcharge for each kilo over a certain weight. It's a flat charge per bin ... another reason I left Citybin.

Thorntons have not missed a collection, despite the snow.
    Citybin did but at least they rescheduled it for later that week.

Eh? We talking about the same citybin?

I'm paying the exact same as when I started with them several years ago, NO increases. They do not and have not charged me per kilo or per bin, I've only ever paid a fixed €20 per month fee including all bins. Citybin have not missed any collection for me, not even in the cold spell / snow / ice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,561 ✭✭✭Heroditas

unkel wrote: »
    Eh? We talking about the same citybin?

I'm paying the exact same as when I started with them several years ago, NO increases. They do not and have not charged me per kilo or per bin, I've only ever paid a fixed €20 per month fee including all bins. Citybin have not missed any collection for me, not even in the cold spell / snow / ice.

You're on a different payment option to me.
    I only had the black and green bins with them and paid per lift.
    I had the argument with them several times regarding the weight surcharge. Found them distinctly unhelpful and unfriendly on the phone and the website very vague regarding charges.

Anyway, the charges went up for me in October so I switched.

Advertisement