Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Serious speed drop since NGB upgrade

Options
  • 17-12-2010 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi,

I am really looking for help at the moment from somebody in Eircom,

I am on Dunshaughlin exchange, that got upgraded a couple of months ago now.

Before the upgrade I used to get 2300/2800 down and 372 up and was more than happy with it.

After the upgrade, my line was brought back to 1024/128 and I am currently getting 880/100 on speedtest, pings are a lot worse too.

Line stats on the router haven't changed, 56/31

I rang support many times, usual answer is: sorry Sir, your line can only handle 1meg, nothing I can do for you. "computer says no"

The only guy in support who believed the speeds I was getting before and who was actually interested in the matter advised me to start by reporting a fault on the line.

So I did, couple of days after, technician called to the house, tested the line, line is good. I think he felt sorry for me and kindly passed the query to one of his colleagues who tested the line the next day for maximum speed.
    I got a call from his colleague that day who told me that the line could deliver 2400 max. But that's all he could do for me, he told me to request a change of profile from support, but so far nobody is willing to do it for me.

I work from home and the bulk of my calls are to the rest of Europe so I need to use VOIP and it is nearly impossible now. Work server is in France and email/data sync is now painfully slow, video calls gone, complete nightmare.

I am about to give up Eircom and switch to Ripplecom business service,

Maybe somebody in Eircom here could let me know if there is any hope of changing my profile before I switch?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

I work for an alternative provider and when cold calling eircom customers, this is the most frequent complaint. So it's not just you, Eircom f****d something up and now they're refusing to fix it, they're just telling every1 that their lines cant take any higher speed!!

Hope you get it sorted though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

marcel353 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am really looking for help at the moment from somebody in Eircom,

I am on Dunshaughlin exchange, that got upgraded a couple of months ago now.

Before the upgrade I used to get 2300/2800 down and 372 up and was more than happy with it.

After the upgrade, my line was brought back to 1024/128 and I am currently getting 880/100 on speedtest, pings are a lot worse too.

Line stats on the router haven't changed, 56/31

I rang support many times, usual answer is: sorry Sir, your line can only handle 1meg, nothing I can do for you. "computer says no"

The only guy in support who believed the speeds I was getting before and who was actually interested in the matter advised me to start by reporting a fault on the line.

So I did, couple of days after, technician called to the house, tested the line, line is good. I think he felt sorry for me and kindly passed the query to one of his colleagues who tested the line the next day for maximum speed.
    I got a call from his colleague that day who told me that the line could deliver 2400 max. But that's all he could do for me, he told me to request a change of profile from support, but so far nobody is willing to do it for me.

I work from home and the bulk of my calls are to the rest of Europe so I need to use VOIP and it is nearly impossible now. Work server is in France and email/data sync is now painfully slow, video calls gone, complete nightmare.

I am about to give up Eircom and switch to Ripplecom business service,

Maybe somebody in Eircom here could let me know if there is any hope of changing my profile before I switch?

Thanks

Hi marcel353

If you PM me your line details I will certainly do my best to clarify this issue. The agents you spoke to will have taken a test on what the line can deliver at that time. Given that you post that you did receive higher speeds and one agent did think there may be an issue I will escalate this with the tech support team.
    PM me and will chase this for you.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭marcel353

PM sent, thanks

Hi marcel353
    Have received PM, thanks.
    First investigation appears to bear out the technician's info, that your line won't carry more than 1mb, speed has been set to this level to assure continous connection. To set speed higher would mean connection may not be stable.
    I have returned this to tech support for further investigaion..and should have feedback later today or tomorrow.
    Tony

Any update on this Tony?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭eircom: Eleanor

marcel353 wrote: »
    Any update on this Tony?

I will refer your query to Tony and ask him to come back to you before 4pm this afternoon

Thank You

Eleanor

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've had this problem too.. got told the line wouldn't support more than 3mb where it previously ran perfectly at 7, but basically had to insist they switch the profile anyway and, unsurprisingly, it works fine at the higher speeds.

Eircom reps: you really need to escalate this to management as this is more a procedural change than a technical issue. The irony of course is that its costing Eircom money too by refusing to let customers have what their lines will actually support (and thus pay more for)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭eircom: Eleanor

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I've had this problem too.. got told the line wouldn't support more than 3mb where it previously ran perfectly at 7, but basically had to insist they switch the profile anyway and, unsurprisingly, it works fine at the higher speeds.

Eircom reps: you really need to escalate this to management as this is more a procedural change than a technical issue. The irony of course is that its costing Eircom money too by refusing to let customers have what their lines will actually support (and thus pay more for)

I'll refer this query to Operations
    Thank You for your post
    Eleanor

Hi marcel353
    my apologies for delay, I had to have line and location in exchange tested. I am afraid that I have been given the same information and unfortunately your line will only accept the current 1Mb speed. I have asked about re setting your profile and have been advised this would not help increase speeds. I have requested that we try this course of action and should have an answer today or tomorrow at the latest.
    Tony

Tony,

How can the speed drop overnight from 2.4meg to 0.88meg?
    And by overnight I mean overnight...
    And why would the technician I had on the phone bothered telling me that the line could handle 2.4?

• Advertisement

Hi marcel353
    as you point out a permanent drop like that is odd. You did mention that you had spoken to a few techs including myself and all but one thought that your line could not take more than 1Mb. I honestly cannot say why that technician advised you your line could handle 2.4 MB. I am chasing this through all channels to see if there is another course of action available. I should have an answer later today or tomorrow.
    Tony

Advertisement