Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Race the Ras 2011

• 17-12-2010 1:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭

For anyone who read this thread & thought riding the RAS was beyond them, you might be interested in this one.

Race The RAS. It's a charity cycle covering each stage of the 2011 RAS, with participants setting off on the day of each stage about 3 hours before the competitors themselves. It's the brainchild of Eamon O'Muircheartaigh (of the Leinster Clinic in Maynooth) who has already signed up a few GAA stars to do some of the individual stages. In aid of cancer research & Goal.

Not a huge amount of info up there yet. As far as I know there's a limit on the numbers doing the full event, but I think a lot of people would be interested in doing individual stages. It'd be interesting to see what route they use this year. I'd be interested in doing a stage or two at least, especially if it heads anywhere near home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭garminguy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

garminguy wrote: »
    <mega snip>
    Is that an entire thread copy and pasted?!!
    How about just the link?

sory about that, technology is not my strongest point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

sory about that, technology is not my strongest point!

Is that why my 705 keeps crashing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Lumen wrote: »
    Is that why my 705 keeps crashing?

No, that's because technology is not your strongpoint:)

@garminguy - whatever about your tecno-talents, your sense of irony seems well honed:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭emtroche

Looks like a great idea.

Only thing i'm thinking is if they get a large amount of people doing it, it could lead to problems. Extra traffic hold ups, accommodation, etc.

Hope it works though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

sounds good but is there a limerick stage in 2011 cant find a tour map

Can someone please fix the first reply by me.Its starting to annoy me now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

Can someone please fix the first reply by me.Its starting to annoy me now!
    Edit your post, delete all the text and put this link in its place: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055844406

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

Is this still alive? Was thinking it would make a great goal for 2011.

I was in touch with the organisers when first announced and mailed them a few weeks back but no answer.

They were talking about people having to prove their fitness to take part - very strange - but if free V02 max testing is on the table.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I heard about it on the radio last night.

Raam wrote: »
    I heard about it on the radio last night.

Cool, what were they saying? Was it on a talk show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

It was on some talk show on Radio 1.
    I was only half listening as I was about to get on the turbo but they were promoting it in some manner. I'm not really helping am I? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

they launched the event in Croke Park yesterday......

http://www.facebook.com/#!/AnPostCycling

50 GAA "legends" participating apparently.

I had this (lightly) pencilled in for this year and I was waiting to see what the requirement was - €1000 for 8 days of supported riding sounds great value - I wonder if the €1000 fund raising requirement has to be supplmented by the riders to pay for accommodation, food etc.

Not much by way of updates on the site - http://racetheras.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Mail from the club about this ,just there, just a press release attached though mainly linking to teh website. Seems to be very little proper detail about it

Jawgap wrote: »
    they launched the event in Croke Park yesterday......

http://www.facebook.com/#!/AnPostCycling

50 GAA "legends" participating apparently.

I had this (lightly) pencilled in for this year and I was waiting to see what the requirement was - €1000 for 8 days of supported riding sounds great value - I wonder if the €1000 fund raising requirement has to be supplmented by the riders to pay for accommodation, food etc.

Not much by way of updates on the site - http://racetheras.com/

Thanks. Yeah lightly pencilled in myself - I only want to do it if there is going to be a strong peloton to have a proper stab at it and get a feel for how hard the Ras could be (a test to see if I could aspire to the real thing in a few years).

GAA legends or not - I know from cycling with some very strong GAA players that being big, strong and fast on the pitch doesn't translate directly to cycling without the right training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

I wonder if the 'official Ras' has sanctioned the idea. I could see it leading to lots of logistical problems - traffic, the Ras trying to pass groups of riders, groups of Ras rider and 'Race the Ras' riders arriving at the finish together, etc. It could end up chaotic. Can you imagine the Etape de Tour starting three hours ahead of a Tour de France stage. Difference in scale of course ....
    Still, a very attractive idea and good promotion for cycling if managed properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

I wonder if the 'official Ras' has sanctioned the idea. I could see it leading to lots of logistical problems - traffic, the Ras trying to pass groups of riders, groups of Ras rider and 'Race the Ras' riders arriving at the finish together, etc. It could end up chaotic. Can you imagine the Etape de Tour starting three hours ahead of a Tour de France stage. Difference in scale of course ....
    Still, a very attractive idea and good promotion for cycling if managed properly.

As the Race Stage Finish Organiser for Stage 2 the only info I have had from the Race the Ras organisers is the Press Release yesterday and an email forwarded from the Ras team itself, which stated their position -

"While this assistance would be very much appreciated by the race organisation it is entirely up to local stage finish organizers/committee to the extent of the assistance, if any at all."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

Hmmm....
    Stage finish committees will probably be under pressure to cooperate in order to bring business to towns etc, but it dosen't seem to show any level of coordination and not very well planned overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Just signed up for this - going to take on the longest stage, 175km from Kilrush to Castleisland! Not sure I've the fitness for it just yet but going to give it a bash for charity.

I've a mycharity.ie page and any support given for this possibly slightly over ambitious venture would be greatly appreciated!

Here's the link to my mycharity.ie page!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

CheGuedara wrote: »
    Just signed up for this - going to take on the longest stage, 175km from Kilrush to Castleisland! Not sure I've the fitness for it just yet but going to give it a bash for charity.

I've a mycharity.ie page and any support given for this possibly slightly over ambitious venture would be greatly appreciated!

Here's the link to my mycharity.ie page!

Congratulation Che on picking the best town to start from:D

I will have to give you a donation now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

Met Eamonn at the slieve Bloom Sportive yesterday , waering the race the ras jersey.

would love to d0 a stage alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

michael196 wrote: »
    Met Eamonn at the slieve Bloom Sportive yesterday , waering the race the ras jersey.

would love to d0 a stage alright.

Drop him a line at the event email address (on the website) i'm sure they'd take another rider in (seeing as it's all for charity). When I was talking to him last he was still looking for stage 4 riders, could still be lookin for some for other stages but st.4 was def available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

thanks cheguedara will contact eamonn

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

Hope this works as I think it is a great idea on a number of counts. I'm based in Portumna (finish of first stage) and helping out on Sunday. Having all these GAA players arriving ahead of the Rás is a great way to get crowds to turn out.

Advertisement