Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wake on LAN

Options
  • 17-12-2010 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 83,393 ✭✭✭✭

Im contemplating a rather geeky christmas card this year that will wake my dad's PC an then play an e-greeting with Logmein or similar.

The problem is I don't know much of anything about Wake on LAN and I need to know if its even doable or what to do.

I have access to the router and the PC right now, he's plugged in via Ethernet, it's cable on a dynamic IP (but probably wouldnt change inside of lets say 3 days?) And I will have to signal it remotely when I'm out of state, using my laptop.

I know what it is, how to enable it in the bios, but not how to send the magic packet, or if sending it would just be blocked by firewalls or be allowed to pass from outside of the LAN/Home network.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

This software sends the magic packet:
    http://www.wakecomputer.com/WOL/index.aspx

I can do this on the Young fella's pc (Asus P5K deluxe), it wakes up fine everytime, but it fails to work on mine (Asus P5Q pro) even though the motherboards are nearly identical, just newer chipset, nearly identical bios settings. You'll need to forward the specific port on the router to the static ip on his pc. I don't use this above software as dd-wrt on my Linksys has wake on lan built in.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,393 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I suppose I could just put dd-wrt into my WRT54GL then :P

Advertisement