Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nocturnal Video Games

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

no rts fans? :eek:

Red Alert 2 for the win.

*sends all her engineers into johnboysligo's construction yard.*
    The engineers are a distraction because I was ACTUALLY sending all my spies into all your buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

reallyrose wrote: »
    Red Alert 2 for the win.

*sends all her engineers into johnboysligo's construction yard.*

Mind-control a civilian bus, fill it with engineers and Ivans (or Chrono-Ivans), drive it into enemy base, beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

I was always a massive RTS fan, but I don't really like the modern ones. Thought AOE 3 was cack, thought C&C 3 was rather iffy too. Last RTS I actually enjoyed was Dawn of War. Still... must get Star Craft 2, I have still have faith in its brilliance.
    reallyrose wrote: »
    Red Alert 2 for the win.

*sends all her engineers into johnboysligo's construction yard.*se I was ACTUALLY sending all my spies into all your buildings.

I used to love building an army of attack dogs... sure they always got killed, but how terrifying when they actually strike!
    Rhyme wrote: »
    Mind-control a civilian bus, fill it with engineers and Ivans (or Chrono-Ivans), drive it into enemy base, beautiful.
    Wow, that's genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Dead rising 2

What's not to love? Zombies and a shopping mall full of make shift weapons.

Dead rising 2

What's not to love? Zombies and a shopping mall full of make shift weapons.

Is that good? I loved the idea of the first game, but I tried to play it again recently and it's just not that enjoyable. Sure hitting zombies is a bit of fun, but the controls are manky and it's just a bit awkward.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Make rocketeers one by one, stick them over the middle of a lake. Once you have a large green cloud of them (I'd always play as green), send them as a rain of death on all enemies. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Total Annihilation and SW:Empire at War...the only two i've ever loved. TA is the best RTS i've ever played. thank god it works on windows 7, or else i'd probably cry :o

whiteman19 wrote: »
    Total Annihilation and SW:Empire at War...the only two i've ever loved. TA is the best RTS i've ever played. thank god it works on windows 7, or else i'd probably cry :o

Must look into those two games. Also Supreme Commander? Is that a game? Is that an awesome game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

All the way through I just kept saying "I hope this is an RTS, I hope this is an RTS... it better not be WoW, it better not be WoW!"

EDIT: Sorry, I thought that said Warcraft. Ah cool, now I still hope it's an RTS... Dawn of War for those scared of space! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

yes it was an RTW

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Omen
    Warhammer: Dark Omen is a real-time tactical wargame and the sequel to Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat. It is a seminal exemplar of a game of the real-time tactics genre.

Rendered entirely in a freely rotatable- and zoomable isometric 3D overhead perspective, the game features terrain, terrain features and buildings, and support for the first-generation Voodoo 3dfx 3D accelerator card effects. The 3D terrain and features are combined with 2D sprites ("billboarding") to render the hundreds of individual units simultaneously on-screen on the limited hardware of 1998. Dark Omen is based on the Warhammer Fantasy Battle miniature tabletop wargame rules and situated in the Old World in the Warhammer Fantasy world and makes use of the vast background, creating a storyline that develops over the course of the game through illustrations and voice-acted conversations.

Fewcifur wrote: »
    Must look into those two games. Also Supreme Commander? Is that a game? Is that an awesome game?
    thought i replied to this earlier. stupid internet cutting out :mad:

supreme commander is the spiritual successor to Total annihilation. i haven't played it much myself, cos it was so laggy on my laptop, though i tried it out anyway to see how it'd work on an integrated graphics card :D
    don't bother getting it for xbox as it's supposed to be slow as hell and RTS does not belong on a console. it can only be played with keyboard & mouse. it's blasphemy to try it with a 360 :D

...RTS does not belong on a console. it can only be played with keyboard & mouse. it's blasphemy to try it with a 360 :D

Dear Santa Claus,

I would like an RTS game on the Wii with full Wiimote functionality re: point, click, drag and hotkeys. Thank you.

Yours sincerely,

Samuel B. Rhyme esq.

-_-

no controller has enough buttons for RTS games :P they really dumb it down to make it work. keyboard and mouse is the only way.

Stick a few toggle on/off pop-up menus and you only need 6 or 7 buttons tops (I really thought this through when I got my Wii first :) )

but then there's no point for shortcuts/hotkeys like on a keyboard. it takes longer to say select all your units than pressing Ctrl + A

I just don't see why the consoles don't have the ability to plug in a mouse and keyboard. it'd open up their market a lot for people who want to play recent games but don't the great PC to play it like me. it'd be much better control. i prefer the mouse anyday over the thumbsticks of a 360 controller

I dunno, the aul Wii-mote might work. Maybe. Don't think the Wii could handle the graphics on most of these fancy modern RTS though.

Must try find some RTS legends for my Mac. I refuse to run boot camp just for games... I imagine it'd make my baby awfully ick to put windows on it.

Removing the necessity of the keyboard opens up the Wii market though which is, essentially, a casual one. The reason why the Wii Zapper and other attachments work is because they augment the gaming experience, not alter it and keep the casual market in their comfort zone.

Ugh market theory pushing back into my brain. Back to Okami, pretty pretty colours. Burble.

i'm not saying make the keyboard & mouse necessary to play games, but have it as an alternative contoller, and not just for the Wii, but for all consoles.

i like the 360 controller and all, but it's not as precise as moving a mouse to locate a target.

Removing the necessity of the keyboard opens up the Wii market though which is, essentially, a casual one. The reason why the Wii Zapper and other attachments work is because they augment the gaming experience, not alter it and keep the casual market in their comfort zone.

Ugh market theory pushing back into my brain. Back to Okami, pretty pretty colours. Burble.

Okami is great! I wish he was MY wolf god! Weeeeee!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

GOD CTHULHU DAMN......

moYsu.jpg

It's the Steam XMas Sale again......

if only i had a credit card to waste on steam

What is steam?

Online game distrubution site - http://store.steampowered.com/
    it's run by valve (people who made half life), and even though most of their stuff is really dear, their sales are meant to be great.

downloaded Might and Magic, i'll install it later when i've got more space on my hard drive. running low atm. need to dump my tv shows onto the external drive

Online game distrubution site - http://store.steampowered.com/
    it's run by valve (people who made half life), and even though most of their stuff is really dear, their sales are meant to be great.

downloaded Might and Magic, i'll install it later when i've got more space on my hard drive. running low atm. need to dump my tv shows onto the external drive

Ah yes, I do love Valve, even though it's been a long time since I've played one of their games.

Cool, must check it out.

big threads on it in Games forum and Bargain Alerts, you might want to check them out :)

big threads on it in Games forum and Bargain Alerts, you might want to check them out :)

And leave the Noc? Hmm...

*wipes drool*

Finished Okami... need something just as involved and wacky as it. No More Heroes or Metal Gear Solid 3 :/

*wipes drool*

Finished Okami... need something just as involved and wacky as it. No More Heroes or Metal Gear Solid 3 :/

Hmmmmmmmm... would a Zelda on the wii do the trick? If not, well, what's wrong with one of the new Mario games? Always inventive and enjoyable :D

• Advertisement

Fewcifur wrote: »
    Hmmmmmmmm... would a Zelda on the wii do the trick? If not, well, what's wrong with one of the new Mario games? Always inventive and enjoyable :D

Zelda on the Wii and I have a love/hate thing going on, it has a few nice bits here and there and two or three genuinely satisfying parts but overall it's very easy and (sorry to put it so bluntly) boring. I have fonder memories of older Zelda titles (WW, LttP and MM stand out immediately) and having played Mario Galaxy to death a short while ago (100% with Mario and Luigi :( ) I'm still a little jaded on the little Italian guy.

I'll dig around when all the pre-Santa cleaning is done.

Advertisement