Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nocturnal Video Games

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

whiteman19 wrote: »
    I played Morrowind but the combat system is absolute shít. it's no good at all, and i gave up on it for that. it's too hard to attack with a sword or axe.

haven't played Half Life 1 or the expansions but got the Orange Box and loved it...the power of the Gravity Gun is just epic :D
    have Max Payne but haven't played it. i buy games with good intentions and then just forget about them. i've about 15 games on the Xbox i still have to play. don't even get me started on my PC collection :o

Well there's your problem :pac::p

Seriously though, it's a chance thing. The higher your skill level with x weapon, the better chance of hitting. Did you play for 5 minutes, try attacking a guard and then quit when he kicked your ass? :P

Also, morrowind (as with all games) belongs on a PC.
    Fewcifur wrote: »
    All great! Is the new AvP any use? I only played the original and it seemed way ahead of its time.

AvP1 was such a pants-****tingly amazing game. 2 and 3 just dont seem to capture the magic somehow. It's not as dark, or scary, or immersive. I didn't like the feel of
    the third one, it just didn't feel right. Not responsive, not instinctive, which was a great aspect of the original.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Well there's your problem :pac::p

Seriously though, it's a chance thing. The higher your skill level with x weapon, the better chance of hitting. Did you play for 5 minutes, try attacking a guard and then quit when he kicked your ass? :P

Also, morrowind (as with all games) belongs on a PC.
    I was playing it on a PC :P i put in a good amount of time in it, but when i compare the combat system with Oblivion, it just blows it away completely. though there's some things with Oblivion that i just don't like.

i played a good few weeks of it, got to yer man's house in Balmoral for the main quest, then started going off doing my own thing :D i always used magicka for combating but i'd like to use swords and such, but it's too hard.

ah i've got an xbox and it's just easier to buy games for it rather than upgrade my desktop. i don't have the money to keep it updated. i'm a poor student :pac: though i will only play strategy games on PC. on consoles it's just blasphemy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

This is true, strategy games on consoles are just a moot concept :pac:

Ahkay, now, i never went down the magic route! And i've heard that does change **** a *lot*. I always went stealth/combat route and absolutely adored that game. Bah, opinion i guess.

Oblivion seemed too damny consoley!!! They took out the all the complicated parts, and lost the immersion in the process :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Oblivion seemed too damny consoley!!! They took out the all the complicated parts, and lost the immersion in the process :D

The first-person view in Oblivion and Morrowind kinda turned me away from getting involved in them a little since I was so wrapped up in Icewind Dale and Baldurs Gate (and Diablo 2, but that's a different matter). Very, very different games I know but back then I liked my action one way and my strategy/micro another way.

Oblivion became an exercise in screwing around and being an explorer (kinda how Fallout 3 went for me too now that I think about it)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

I really enjoyed Oblivion... though I went through this annoying phase of trying to never ever level because the bad guys leveled too. That was probably silly of me, though many peeps recommended it. Then there was the whole exercise in getting the maximum upgrade points for each leveling up. Ugh, that stuff was a pain, but playing the actual game was great fun!

I loved when guys would attack me and I'd just create this massive monster, a monster so big I'd yet to actually fight him in the game. Good times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Took back up fallout New Vegas, I dropped it a while back because I was just finding it pure ****e! Its going better now.
    Got dead rising 2 but I rage quitted earlier after I kept dying on that first boss guy, running all the way back each time from the safe house was just irritating.
    Bought ODDworld: Abes odyssey and crazy taxi off PS store.
    I often play some GTA gay toni and Black ops online with friends.
    Thats the ps3 side of things anyway. I also play my ps1 whenever I feel like it :)

For the pc I like playing CSS and TF2, Sims 2 occasionally too.
    I used too and miss playing WoW, the leaving cert is getting in the way of it so I had to take a break :(
    I'm thinking of buying minecraft soon because everyone is saying its great.

My... god... you can play GTA Gay Toni online?! That's what I should do... RIGHT NOW!

My... god... you can play GTA Gay Toni online?! That's what I should do... RIGHT NOW!

Yes and its 1000 times more funner than normal GTA IV online.

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Yes and its 1000 times more funner than normal GTA IV online.

And can you also play The Damned online?

And can you also play The Damned online?

Never tried, I think I remember a friend saying you can though. I haven't even played the storyline for that one yet.

• Advertisement

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Never tried, I think I remember a friend saying you can though. I haven't even played the storyline for that one yet.

I'm the opposite, I went straight for the damned! :) It's cool, there's some crossover between the three storylines. But the Damned is all about the bikes baybeeee, so yeah, fun times :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Rhyme wrote: »
    The first-person view in Oblivion and Morrowind kinda turned me away from getting involved in them a little since I was so wrapped up in Icewind Dale and Baldurs Gate (and Diablo 2, but that's a different matter). Very, very different games I know but back then I liked my action one way and my strategy/micro another way.

Oblivion became an exercise in screwing around and being an explorer (kinda how Fallout 3 went for me too now that I think about it)
    Morrowind was amazing I thought.

BG2 was the best RPG of ye olden times though. By a mile.
    I really enjoyed Oblivion... though I went through this annoying phase of trying to never ever level because the bad guys leveled too. That was probably silly of me, though many peeps recommended it. Then there was the whole exercise in getting the maximum upgrade points for each leveling up. Ugh, that stuff was a pain, but playing the actual game was great fun!

I loved when guys would attack me and I'd just create this massive monster, a monster so big I'd yet to actually fight him in the game. Good times.

I hated Oblivion if I'm honest.

Fallout looks fairly shíte too, and doesn't play very well.

Not holding out too much hope for Skyrim either.

Did just pre-order the Signature Edition of DA:2 yesterday though. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

I find myself going back and playing older games compared to newly released ones like Might & Magic, X-com, Half Life, System Shock, Thief and DOOM. Or running emulators and playing some older classics, seem to get more playability out of them.

Although I bought Mount & Blade Pack in the steam sale to see what the fuss was about, the game is a hidden gem! Lots of scope and depth in the game of what you can do.

The X-Com games were class! I saw a modern one advertised and it just wasn't the same. I'm all about the turn based tactics :)

If you like the Thief games then you should check out Splinter Cell - Double Agent. Really good. Also I imagine most of the Hitman games are up your alley too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

The X-Com games were class! I saw a modern one advertised and it just wasn't the same. I'm all about the turn based tactics :)

If you like the Thief games then you should check out Splinter Cell - Double Agent. Really good. Also I imagine most of the Hitman games are up your alley too.

Aye I agree, won't capture the essence of the original games. The games are about Squad based tactics and not a FPS!

Got a few games to play at the moment, little by little I am going through Amnesia: The Dark Descent, possibly the most Nocturnal game of them all :D (it's really scary....too scary :()

Aye I agree, won't capture the essence of the original games. The games are about Squad based tactics and not a FPS!

Got a few games to play at the moment, little by little I am going through Amnesia: The Dark Descent, possibly the most Nocturnal game of them all :D (it's really scary....too scary :()

Speaking of Nocturnal... has anyone played The Darkness?

It was a bit of an odd FPS with some "go talk to people" action included. But the idea of using the darkness.... great! Plus Mike Patton doing the voice of the Darkness = great! Plus as part of the game you have to devour the hearts of fallen victims. Actually kinda want to play it when I get home! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Playing through Tomb Raider Anniversary at the moment. must say it's a really nice remake of the original game. kinda the same but different enough for the old players not to breeze through it. puzzles are different since there's new controls like swinging on bars, and such.
    really surprised at it, and long enough game unlike some other recent SP games

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Hey guys...just thought id throw it in here that we are organising a mini lan before the next beers. More than likely around 4 on the 5th of Feb. More than likely RTS games. Check out the beers thread for details....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

FPS Doug says NO to your RTS!

We can do both really. Ill kick your ass either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Pter wrote: »
    We can do both really. Ill kick your ass either way.

Challenge accepted!

I am quite a good PC FPS player I will have you know, and by good I mean wasted my teenage and college years due to my addiction to counter strike.

Have at thee!

Ah, it'll be good to taste the fresh blood of Pter on my blade

Maguined wrote: »
    Challenge accepted!

I am quite a good PC FPS player I will have you know, and by good I mean wasted my teenage and college years due to my addiction to counter strike.

Have at thee!
    Ah, it'll be good to taste the fresh blood of Pter on my blade

Ha im actually ****. But im a schemer so ill have things....arranged...as i need them to be.

Pter wrote: »
    Ha im actually ****. But im a schemer so ill have things....arranged...as i need them to be.

I'm also ****e but a schemer! Ooooh, we should scheme together! ;)

Deal. No backsies

Advertisement