Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

So that's what is going next to Chawkes

• 17-12-2010 11:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭

I was wondering what was going on here for the last week or so. Hopefully it will create a couple of Jobs.

http://www.limerickpost.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2598:gaa-invest-in-castletroy-site-&catid=37:local-news&Itemid=60
    GAA invest in Castletroy site

Other major developments in pipeline
    CASTLETROY is to become the focal point of GAA administration across the province with a new 10,000 sq.ft facility for Munster Council.
    The building is to stand alongside the proposed developments of a new library for the area, and the progressive Gaeilscoil Chaladh an Treoigh, currently situated on the Monaleen Road.

Kenny & Co Builders Ltd have confirmed that they are in the process of completing groundwork at a site at Newcastle, Castletroy, adjacent to Chawkes forecourt.
    Deputy CEO of the Munster branch Enda McGuire, is excited about their new headquarters, which should be completed within 18 months.
    “We have gone through the planning and design stages and we now envisage that the construction phase will contribute strongly to employment in the area”.
    The building is part of Munster Council’s continued investment in the region.
    Their current headquarters at Rhebogue is considered inadequate for their needs.
    “Our staff will now be accommodated in one location and we will be able to conduct provincial council and other meetings there. This is a major investment on our part.
    “The building will house all administrative offices, including hurling, football, ladies football, camogie and handball, which are currently fragmented.
    “It is also close to the University, where we have a big involvement.
    “This year, we have invested over €22 million on construction and physical development across the region”.
    Local Fine Gael councillor Michael Sheehan, gave his support to the Munster Branch development.
    “As a community activist, councillor and GAA man, I wish them well.
    “It will bring more activity to the area and open up access for other developments.
    “Everything seems to be knitting in well, from the magnificent Castletroy Park to Castletroy College”.
    He confirmed that Gaeilscoil Chaladh an Treoigh are in discussions with the Department of Education about relocating to the Dublin Road site.
    Limerick County Council were unavailable this Wednesday to address the status of the Castletroy Library project.
    Councillor Mary Jackman is hopeful that the development will begin sooner rather than later.
    “We’d love a library here... it would add another dimension to the community”.
    She continues to press for a garda station in the rapidly expanding Castletroy/Annacotty district.
    “The site in question may not be suitable, but I have enquired about the possibility of using the former AIB building, which would be an ideal central location”.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Thank god for that. I thought it was going to be "something else".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭phog

Wasnt this announced before?

While it may be welcome I'd question why they'd need to buy more property they must surely have enough space around one of the stadia around Munster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

phog wrote: »
    Wasnt this announced before?

While it may be welcome I'd question why they'd need to buy more property they must surely have enough space around one of the stadia around Munster.

Makes sense to me, Limerick is the central city in Munster. Plus, more jobs in the offices.

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Makes sense to me, Limerick is the central city in Munster. Plus, more jobs in the offices.

No argument with any of that but the GAA have just spent millions??? on their grounds on the Ennis Rd and I'd suspect they should have enough of a footprint there to build whatever offices would be required to run a Munster council.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

No argument with any of that but the GAA have just spent millions??? on their grounds on the Ennis Rd and I'd suspect they should have enough of a footprint there to build whatever offices would be required to run a Munster council.

There isn't any real available space at the Gaelic Grounds, but at any rate, Central Admin offices for the Munster region on one of the busiest commuter roots close to the centre of town? Wouldn't see that working all that well. The Castletroy site is near the end of the bypass, for anyone coming up from the Kerry, Cork directions it's handier.

Plus, it's a good thing for Limerick, some jobs in construction, temporarily at least.

• Advertisement

CiaranMT wrote: »
    There isn't any real available space at the Gaelic Grounds, but at any rate, Central Admin offices for the Munster region on one of the busiest commuter roots close to the centre of town? Wouldn't see that working all that well. The Castletroy site is near the end of the bypass, for anyone coming up from the Kerry, Cork directions it's handier.

Plus, it's a good thing for Limerick, some jobs in construction, temporarily at least.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

BTW, the bypass head towards Clare with an exit for Caherdavin.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

It was limerick GAA that spent millions On the gaelic grounds. Its the munster council which is building On the dublin road. Plus anyone who has been In the gaelic grounds knows there is no office space there and no room to build any more as they are our as far as the road with the current stadium!!

tommy249 wrote: »
    It was limerick GAA that spent millions On the gaelic grounds. Its the munster council which is building On the dublin road. Plus anyone who has been In the gaelic grounds knows there is no office space there and no room to build any more as they are our as far as the road with the current stadium!!

The GAA is the GAA and the money eventually come from the fans or Government grants. I've no idea on how much space is being used in the stadium itself but look at what Munster rugby have achieved with space under the stands in Thomond Park. Even if all the spaces is used to maximum usage there's loads of space on the Caherdavin side of the stadium, off Corrib drive off Parkview drive where they could have built offices over the car parks.

Advertisement