Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aquariums and advertising

Options
  • 17-12-2010 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭

Its come up a few times in this forum to date, just wondering what people think of it...

Many aquariums are advertised pictured with fish in them, (example) and are clearly overstocked. There is an ad I have seen for a work desktop nano tank which is similar.

Now for amateurs this is misleading as it leads them to believe they can safely have this many fish in a tank, clearly you cannot without stressing the fish due to lack of space and excessive toxins in the water.

But is there anything that can be done?

I don't see animal welfare organisations having to much interest in fish to be perfectly honest.
    It could fall under trading standards, as the product cannot cope with the advertised number of fish safely, but I think that would be a very hard case to win if you tried it.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

if you read the small print it probably says for illustrative purposes only

Advertisement