Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Europa League Draw last 32 and last 16

2»

Comments

carlop wrote: »

Just off the top of my head I remember Villa fielding a fairly weak team in the knockout stages a couple of years ago, but in general I get the impression teams don't prioritise it.

I don't think that went down well with Villa fans. A big mistake by O Neill at the time iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Actually, kind of related to this, does anyone think the winners of the UEFA cup should qualify for the Champions League? It would give teams an added incentive to take it seriously.

Yea, I think it should really. But what league loses a spot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bolton did likewise when they were actually quite well placed to proceed, Spurs and Everton have thrown the towel in as well in recent years. As LFC have little real chance of finishing top 4 or gettings relegated I think we should give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Its a nothing cup. If UEFA had any sense they would reward the winner with an automaitc place in next years CL, that would at least make it more attractive to the likes of Liverpool, Spurs, City, Everton, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Yea, I think it should really. But what league loses a spot?

This is the problem, I guess the team with 4 places that has the worst co-efficient or something along those lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Well it would only be one team joining next year's competition, as opposed to 8 teams joining a competition half way through a season.

Just off the top of my head I remember Villa fielding a fairly weak team in the knockout stages a couple of years ago, but in general I get the impression teams don't prioritise it.

You are right Villa didnt take the 1/4 final seriously against Moscow. This totally back-fired on Villa and was stupid by MON. They were going for a Top 4 spot at the time so he dropped most of the team for the 1/4. This despite him playing practically a full-strength team leading up to the 1/4 final. Chance of actually winning something blown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

THFC wrote: »
    Its a nothing cup. If UEFA had any sense they would reward the winner with an automaitc place in next years CL, that would at least make it more attractive to the likes of Liverpool, Spurs, City, Everton, etc.

If you think the Europa League is a nothing Cup, then I take it you think every domestic cup competition like the FA Cup etc. is also a nothing cup. It may not be the CL but it is the second biggest cup competition in Europe, much more credible than any domestic cup which have become run-outs for fringe players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

yes Lech are not bad...watch out.

That would be a nice tie but 3e...3e...sigh... I never thought a channel could make me not want to watch football but alas one such channel exists...3e...3e... :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement