Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you fail a module in sem 1 arts

Options
  • 17-12-2010 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

And take on an extra module in semester 2 (I'm aware that it would have to be paid for) does that balance things out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Yes...i think so. It's essentially swapping your failed course for a new one which is allowed. As long as the course you failed isn't core, that is.

If you pass everything you would finish the year with 60 credit.

Maybe check with other people here, and at the student desk, to be sure but I think thats ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

Yeah those were my thoughts too, thanks. The module I want to substitute is just an elective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 zoool

It depends on the module you're taking, some of them only offer a resit as opposed to a substitution.
    You should contact your programme office to make sure before you register to anything.

zoool wrote: »
    It depends on the module you're taking, some of them only offer a resit as opposed to a substitution.
    You should contact your programme office to make sure before you register to anything.

Even if a resit or repeat is offered, if it is an elective it can be substituted for another module.
    Can I substitute an elective module that I failed in semester 2 2009/10?

Yes, you are permitted to do this. If you have an E or F grade in your elective, you will have been automatically registered to a resit/repeat (if offered). You may wish to drop that elective module resit/repeat online and replace it with a different elective module this academic year (2010/11). You drop the semester 1 elective module resit/repeat in the Repeats/Subs/Transf Tab. You may then go to the Electives Tab and register to a new elective module. Please ensure to assign a stage to this elective module - the same stage as the elective module that you have dropped.

This link is a year old, can't find a more up to date one, but its the same idea.

http://www.ucd.ie/students/resits_repeats/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 zoool

Substitutions as far as I'm aware will also cost the amount of a module. Not the €230 repeat/resit fee. So just be aware of the expense of it before you change anything.

• Advertisement

344 euro for an Arts one...ouch that is high.

While I'm here - when do the results come out?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

We get provisional results in January about a week before we go back. The official ones are released a month or so later.

Do we get the provisional ones through ucd mail? And what's the difference between them?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

No, you log onto SIS web and click on exam results. The provisional ones are subject to change, though they rarely do. Also, if you have an issue with them, that is the time to email you lecturer or tutor to explain why you feel it's wrong.

Ah I see. Thanks fluorescence. :)

Exact dates are here :)
    Provisional results (incl provisional Semester and Stage GPA) no later than 5.00pm Wednesday, 19 January 2011
    Final results (incl Semester, Stage and Degree GPA) no later than 5.00pm Thursday, 10 February 2011.

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/assessment/info_stu.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

If you fail a semester 1 exam in your first year of an arts degree, then you're automatically seen as being a member of the 'Wasters Class'. Unless of you have a very good reason for failing or the subject you took as exceptionally hard, like maths. Look forward to spending the need 10 years trying to complete your BA or at the very most getting a 'just about' pass degree after 4 years (yes, 4 years - you will repeat a year).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

If you fail a semester 1 exam in your first year of an arts degree, then you're automatically seen as being a member of the 'Wasters Class'. Unless of you have a very good reason for failing or the subject you took as exceptionally hard, like maths. Look forward to spending the need 10 years trying to complete your BA or at the very most getting a 'just about' pass degree after 4 years (yes, 4 years - you will repeat a year).

Did you fail English? :pac:

Did you fail English? :pac:

Did you fail comprehension?

Did you fail comprehension?

I think you did as I was making a not-so sly reference to your typos and/or poor grammar. Which made your post somewhat ironic.

Where did you get that nonsense from? Two good friends of mine took the piss in first year, one failed 1 module and the other failed 3. They went on to get a 1st and a 2.1 respectively.

I'm not condoning their behaviour but what you've said is just plain wrong. Failing an exam in first year and doing well are not mutually exclusive.

Well said WeeBushy.

Killer Pigeon, the thread was asking a specific question - not asking for a bull****ty opinion. Thanks though. :)

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Where did you get that nonsense from? Two good friends of mine took the piss in first year, one failed 1 module and the other failed 3. They went on to get a 1st and a 2.1 respectively.

I'm not condoning their behaviour but what you've said is just plain wrong. Failing an exam in first year and doing well are not mutually exclusive.

Your ... friends ... were just a statistical anomaly.

• Advertisement

Zephyr91 wrote: »
    Well said WeeBushy.

Killer Pigeon, the thread was asking a specific question - not asking for a bull****ty opinion. Thanks though. :)

You'll deny reality now ...

Your ... friends ... were just a statistical anomaly.

That's right, insinuate I'm making up friends. Great argument.

For you to be correct they must look at past results when marking your assignments and exams. They don't. Everything is marked in isolation, and anonymity (exams anyway, not sure about essays - do you put names on them?).

Pray tell, what are you basing your argument on?

I'll make a more stellar contribution than my last post. Whilst it is obvious that some students that fail subjects in first year will continue to struggle throughout college, it is just wrong to suggest that the majority of students who fail will continue in that vein (or that they will need at least 4 years etc).

KP is not taking into account several possibilities. One is that it is their first ever semester in college, it is not beyond the realms of possibilities that grades can suffer in these months. Students can be pre-occupied with living on their own for the first time, overwhelmed by college, struggling with a new learning style etc. Or they could have picked an elective that does not suit their ability. Or they could have arsed around for a few months and are now about to get the kick up the backside that will make them work harder in future.

There will always be those who continue to fail, but it is wrong to suggest a majority will fail continuously. There is a very good reason why First year results are not taken into account in a final GPA for a degree. Basically first year can be an unusual or difficult time for students. By second year, this should not be the case. Saying anything else (especially as flame worthy as the arts student reference) is just plain wrong.

That's right, insinuate I'm making up friends. Great argument.

That wasn't my argument. There will inevitably exist statistical anomalies.
    For you to be correct they must look at past results when marking your assignments and exams. They don't. Everything is marked in isolation, and anonymity (exams anyway, not sure about essays - do you put names on them?).

Pray tell, what are you basing your argument on?
    It's simple really, a majority of people (notice here how I'm not saying all people) who fail a large portion of exams would be most likely to be in the lower end of the class. It'd be very unlikely, for instance, for there to be a greater number of people who get all A's in 1st year to suddenly drop to a 2:2 than it would be for a lesser number of people to suddenly jump up from a 2:2 to a 1:1 ... if you get what I'm saying. A majority of people who get low marks are probably the people who are the laziest or the least able in a class. Just common sense really.

I'll make a more stellar contribution that my last post.

Little grammatical error 'round 'bout there.
    Whilst it is obvious that some students that fail subjects in first year will continue to struggle throughout college, it is just wrong to suggest that the majority of students who fail will continue in that vein (or that they will need at least 4 years etc).

KP is not taking into account several possibilities. One is that it is their first ever semester in college, it is not beyond the realms of possibilities that grades can suffer in these months. Students can be pre-occupied with living on their own for the first time, overwhelmed by college, struggling with a new learning style etc. Or they could have picked an elective that does not suit their ability. Or they could have arsed around for a few months and are now about to get the kick up the backside that will make them work harder in future.

There will always be those who continue to fail, but it is wrong to suggest a majority will fail continuously. There is a very good reason why First year results are not taken into account in a final GPA for a degree. Basically first year can be an unusual or difficult time for students. By second year, this should not be the case. Saying anything else (especially as flame worthy as the arts student reference) is just plain wrong.

Who are the students least likely to have moral and drive to finish their degree or strive for high marks?

Also arts students have more time on their hand. So there's no excuse why they can't put in extra hours of study or complete assignments to a higher standard than those with less spare hours.

Little grammatical error 'round 'bout there.

I had already edited my post, one stray letter is not the same as a poorly written post.

Who are the students least likely to have moral and drive to finish their degree or strive for high marks?

What?

Also arts students have more time on their hand. So there's no excuse why they can't put in extra hours of study or complete assignments to a higher standard than those with less spare hours.

An arts degree is completely different in pedagogical terms. Comparing it to another degree is like comparing horses and sheep. They are two different things with different learning and assessment methods. It is not as simple as saying "oh they have loads of free time". The mistake a lot of students make is to think that they have free time, when in fact they have time to spend reading. I would agree that many Arts students make that mistake.

It's simple really, a majority of people (notice here how I'm not saying all people) who fail a large portion of exams would be most likely to be in the lower end of the class. It'd be very unlikely, for instance, for there to be a greater number of people who get all A's in 1st year to suddenly drop to a 2:2 than it would be for a lesser number of people to suddenly jump up from a 2:2 to a 1:1 ... if you get what I'm saying. A majority of people who get low marks are probably the people who are the laziest or the least able in a class. Just common sense really.

You said an exam in first year in your first post, not a large portion. Completely different argument.

What?

It should be clear ... obviously it's the people who keep on failing exams who have little drive to complete their academic work to high standards.

• Advertisement

You said an exam in first year in your first post, not a large portion. Completely different argument.

Well you're more likely be in the bottom 3rd of the class or at most the bottom 40% if you failed one exam.

Advertisement