Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you fail a module in sem 1 arts

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

It should be clear ... obviously it's the people who keep on failing exams who have little drive to complete their academic work to high standards.

Well obviously. But we are not talking about continuous failure and your question was not exactly clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Well you're more likely be in the bottom 3rd of the class or at most the bottom 40% if you failed one exam.

Bottom % in that module or overall on the year? And what are you basing that figure on? Don't claim common sense because parker kent gives very good reasons why anyone is capable of a one off failed module (post #24).

If you fail 6 modules, yes you probably will struggle. If you fail one in first year, absolutely no indication of future success in the degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Well obviously. But we are not talking about continuous failure and your question was not exactly clear.

The people who fail 1st year exams are the people most likely to fail exams continuously. Obviously it doesn't mean they are but it means that they are more likely than most other students in the class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Bottom % in that module or overall on the year? And what are you basing that figure on? Don't claim common sense because parker kent gives very good reasons why anyone is capable of a one off failed module (post #24).

If you fail 6 modules, yes you probably will struggle. If you fail one in first year, absolutely no indication of future success in the degree.

I'm sure there's some normalised distributing curve available somewhere that can prove me right but for now, I retire. Good night!

The people who fail 1st year exams are the people most likely to fail exams continuously. Obviously it doesn't mean they are but it means that they are more likely than most other students in the class.

If you fail a semester 1 exam in your first year of an arts degree, then you're automatically seen as being a member of the 'Wasters Class'. Unless of you have a very good reason for failing or the subject you took as exceptionally hard, like maths. Look forward to spending the need 10 years trying to complete your BA or at the very most getting a 'just about' pass degree after 4 years (yes, 4 years - you will repeat a year).

You position has changed quite a bit since your first post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

If you fail a semester 1 exam in your first year of an arts degree, then you're automatically seen as being a member of the 'Wasters Class'. Unless of you have a very good reason for failing or the subject you took as exceptionally hard, like maths. Look forward to spending the need 10 years trying to complete your BA or at the very most getting a 'just about' pass degree after 4 years (yes, 4 years - you will repeat a year).

You're tune has changed alot since this post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I'm sure there's some normalised distributing curve available somewhere that can prove me right but for now, I retire. Good night!

You are arguing a different point now though! You originally said anybody who fails an exam becomes a member of the wasters club. That is very, very different to people who fail several exams.

But this is not exactly the most important thing in the world and a sign that it is a snowy Saturday night :pac:

You're right the snow is bringing out the worst in us.

There is no need for banal arguments, exams are almost over and leinster won this evening :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Your ... friends ... were just a statistical anomaly.

Pfft. First year doesn't count towards your degree. It's only your 2nd and 3rd year results that count for a BA. Take your bs somewhere else, ta.

344 is quite a lot but then again it's only 114 more than the summer repeat. If I end up failing quantative economics I'm going to seriously consider dropping it for something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,247 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    344 is quite a lot but then again it's only 114 more than the summer repeat. If I end up failing quantative economics I'm going to seriously consider dropping it for something else.
    I'll probably be joining you tbh, my own fault tbh, I would have scraped a pass with a bit more study and actually going to lectures (I amaze even myself with my laziness sometimes:rolleyes:)

though I heard about some sort of compensation thing from a 2nd year, can anyone explain this?

Liam O wrote: »
    though I heard about some sort of compensation thing from a 2nd year, can anyone explain this?

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/assessment/student_info/modulargradesexplained.pdf

Page 4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Now for a variation on the OP's original question, trying to bring this back on topic!

If you fail an optional module, can you substitute another option in and remove the grade cap that would be enforced if you repeated?

Can you do an extra elective in 3rd year and assign it to Stage 2 to take the place of a 2nd year elective that you did poorly in, using it instead of the original elective to give a new Stage 2 GPA which would be counted towards a degree, or is it that once you have enough credits for a year, that stages GPA is finalised and cannot be altered?

Advertisement