Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

whats the weather like in your area?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

Kealkil hit pretty bad too, some locations isolated last evening , river there rises upto 5 feet in normal downpours,
    dry and mild here now.
    cattle i brought in, slept outside on slats not straw bedded cublicles

Dry here in Clonakilty. Bandon town centre is closed off. Passed through at 7.30 but floods were coming up through drains. Fire brigade out. Passing through on my return at 10.00 a good share of the main street under water. Road from Bandon to Innishannon closed. Probably going to get worse. The town never fully recovered from the 09 flooding.
    ya well thats what folk have to put up with over inability to disturb river beds prone to flooding, An Tasice will consider that flooding of no consequence to humans, 40 years ago all such river beds would be cleared
    what i should also add is that time, i.m.o. they didnt have the pile driving and other technology and equipment so readily available to build on floodplains such as the location of River View Shopping centre in Bandon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Road just off the main Longford road on the way to our place

JpKVPiVl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Kovu wrote: »
    Road just off the main Longford road on the way to our place

JpKVPiVl.jpg

Did you drive through it ?

Bullocks wrote: »
    Did you drive through it ?

Was closed off yesterday but able to go through it today- that's it today, was waaaaay bigger yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Bullocks wrote: »
    I know its bad weather but did anyone see Teresa Mannion on the 6 o clock news ? Jaysuscit was some piece of drama :eek:
    Total fcuking drama :rolleyes: Anyone notice the man that strolled causally behind her without a bother on him? She telling people to stay indoors after she travelled the breadth of the country to report a little wind :mad: The news is news now with her youtube sensation.

weather seems returned to normal around here anyhow, but surplus water on reads plus some giant potholes, burst suspensions let alone tyres

anyone seen the Teresa Mannion send up, think its on Peter Pan . com ..its hilarious

I'm a big fan of the remix ;)

I'm a big fan of the remix ;)

When did she get the false accent? I remember her from years ago and she didn't talk like that. Kovu, please tell me you don't have a false accent :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

the dumb americans will snap her up to do some fox news reporting on their "storms".

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Kovu, please tell me you don't have a false accent :)

Ah Sam, when I speak it's like the voices of ten thousand angels have descended from the heavens to sing lullabies in your dreams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Ah Sam, when I speak it's like the voices of ten thousand angels have descended from the heavens to sing lullabies in your dreams.

Would that be the screams as they fall????? :D

Reggie. wrote: »
    Would that be the screams as they fall????? :D

Sure isn't Lucifer an angel that was banished from heaven :D

Weatherwise I heard a few miles from here that a lads slatted shed was completely flooded out, all the bales in the yard covered in water. Never happened before. Somebody must have cleaned out the river further up or something and it flowed down faster than the lower part could take, that caused flooding with neighbours land here, we cleaned the river this summer. Whoopsie :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Rain creeping back in here now in Cavan, like we haven't had enough :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 822 ✭✭✭ABlur

Great drying! Will be worried about drought if we don't get some rain!!😅

• Advertisement

Wow, that's poetry in motion :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

It's the voices of ten thousand angels being squeezed more like it.
    Pissing rain here the last hour very dark aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Very heavy this past 3 hrs with hail mixed in

mixed pattern around here, heavy showers than dry periods with black skies and then clearing , very cold as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,859 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

very dull and dark all day, very little rain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

Most farmland in area flooded. Most of the blanket bogs in the area have been heavily cut over last 20 years. If intact they would have held the water and released it slowly.

Most farmland in area flooded. Most of the blanket bogs in the area have been heavily cut over last 20 years. If intact they would have held the water and released it slowly.

The flooding would have come from the water table and rivers. Bogs wouldn't make much of a difference there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Suckler

The flooding would have come from the water table and rivers. Bogs wouldn't make much of a difference there

Bogs hold the water thus preventing it from going straight to rivers etc. They make a big difference.

Suckler wrote: »
    Bogs hold the water thus preventing it from going straight to rivers etc. They make a big difference.

Can't agree with that around here as the drains from our bogs are like waterfalls at the minute. Lough ennell is up around 4ft

Can't agree with that around here as the drains from our bogs are like waterfalls at the minute. Lough ennell is up around 4ft
    The drains are draining the bog and increasing flow from them!

The drains are draining the bog and increasing flow from them!

Whatever ya think lads

Whatever ya think lads

Have to agree with Capercaillie here, if the drains weren't in place the bogs act like a sponge and soak everything up. The forced cuts cause the higher area of bog to release water into the drain and lead to floods.

Have to agree with Capercaillie here, if the drains weren't in place the bogs act like a sponge and soak everything up. The forced cuts cause the higher area of bog to release water into the drain and lead to floods.

the water is over big level near here,bog wont make a difference until it drops to bog level imo
    wintery bitterly cold showers today, further rain to come and roads will flood instantly

So if it rains over say a 20 mile radius or 20 miles away and the river overflows at your area due to your area being it's weak spot. You think the bog will save you from flooding?

No river flows into a bog.

Flood water isn't from your area usually. It always travels from somewhere else and pools in the plains. A bog won't be the saviour of an area. It's madness to think that if a bog was left untouched that it would save an area from flooding

So if it rains over say a 20 mile radius or 20 miles away and the river overflows at your area due to your area being it's weak spot. You think the bog will save you from flooding?

Flood water isn't from your area usually. It always travels from somewhere else and pools in the plains. A bog won't be the saviour of an area. It's madness to think that if a bog was left untouched that it would save an area from flooding

95% of the midland raised bogs have been destroyed. Bogs can hold huge amount of extra water. Excess water from heavy rain is slowly released and eventually enters river systems. On well drained lowland farmland, the water holding capacity is low. Following heavy rainfall water enters the river system quickly. You have a huge amount of water and resultant flooding.

• Advertisement

95% of the midland raised bogs have been destroyed. Bogs can hold huge amount of extra water. Excess water from heavy rain is slowly released and eventually enters river systems. On well drained lowland farmland, the water holding capacity is low. Following heavy rainfall water enters the river system quickly. You have a huge amount of water and resultant flooding.
    All our bogs in westmeath are on high ground here.all lakes and rivers are well below thier elevation

Hense the name raised bogs

All our bogs in westmeath are on high ground here.all lakes and rivers are well below thier elevation

Hense the name raised bogs

If the raised bog is destroyed, what happens the water after severe heavy rain?

If the raised bog is destroyed, what happens the water after severe heavy rain?

No raise bog destroyed here.

In order for the bog to take any serious amount of water into it around here the area around it has to flood first

No it won't save every place from flooding, there are different peat types same as soil types. The mossy type would slowly release the water over a period of time. If such a bog is drained it loses the ability to soak up the water as the moss and other natural vegetation are killed off. The water will then run off into the drainage areas and exit the area faster causing flash flooding.
    Drainage to a small area of bog can have impact further down a riverline if it's draining into a river or stream that it wasn't before. I'm not saying that it causes the flooding but it certainly has some impact.

In order for the bog to take any serious amount of water into it around here the area around it has to flood first

95% of raised bogs have been destroyed in this Country. The 5% that are left are in the SAC/NHA network, but most of them are been actively drained/cut/destroyed. A degraded bog/destroyed bog is one which the ability of the sphagnum mosses to grow and actively produce peat has been compromised. The drains in your bog, dry out the bog and inhibit peat formation.

http://www.npws.ie/sites/default/files/protected-sites/synopsis/SY001725.pdf

Second paragraph.

Can't see how that's got to do with this flooding. Sure it may at one time been a larger area but as long as I can remember 30+ years the bog is nearly the same size throughout my life. so any reclaiming for agriculture is well before my time and it's not something that's happened in the last few years that could cause catastrophic flooding. Never had major flooding here ever thankfully.

So as far as I'm concerned in my area this so called massive destruction of bog land that we are doing by cutting our own little bit of turf isn't causing all these floods.

Now capercaillie from your past history I know your a campaigner to have all bogs closed but you'll have to get a better stick than that nonsense. Enough said.

Can't see how that's got to do with this flooding. Sure it may at one time been a larger area but as long as I can remember 30+ years the bog is nearly the same size throughout my life. so any reclaiming for agriculture is well before my time and it's not something that's happened in the last few years that could cause catastrophic flooding. Never had major flooding here ever thankfully.

So as far as I'm concerned in my area this so called massive destruction of bog land that we are doing by cutting our own little bit of turf isn't causing all these floods.

Now cap from your past history I know your a campaigner to have all bogs closed but you'll have to get a better stick than that nonsense. Enough said.

That link would suggest the your bog is in a poor condition. Extensive drainage is drying out the bog!

That link would suggest the your bog is in a poor condition. Extensive drainage is drying out the bog!

All drainage leads back into an used part of the bog. No water drains out. Very little of that bog is cut for turf. A very large area is unused

Don't be making assumptions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

You're calling the bogs a sponge.
    If the sponge is full of water and not allowed dry out then water will just run off anyway. In England they're blocking drains and the sponge is constantly full of water so any rain that falls just runs off or creates a landslide.
    I think our sponges were already full of water before this rain came.

What needs to happen is any land flooded now should be mapped and then don't allow any new buildings on this land or if they want to build, raise the height of the buildings above the flood level and add on a bit higher to be sure.

If you have half an hour this- http://eprints.whiterose.ac.uk/485/1/holdenj7.pdf is a good analysis of drainage on bog/wetlands.
    A brief summary is that the peat type and drainage technique used were important determinants of outcome.
    Decreases in flood and annual runoff may come about
    following drainage because of a reduction in hydraulic conductivity, loss of surface runoff by storage in the upper peat layers, flow loss by storage on soil slopes and depressions caused by subsidence, increased evaporation related to changes in vegetation and use of sluices or canals which store water and increase evaporation.
    Flow increases may have been caused by increased direct precipitation in drainage channels, temporary flow increases by straightening, deepening and clearance of vegetation from streams and ditches, decreased evapotranspiration from drained but uncultivated land, an increase in surface and groundwater slopes, an increase in exposure of previously confined aquifers and artesian waters and increased drainage of previously closed marshy systems.

So, I agree to disagree but both sides appear to be correct. :D

When that was highlighted as blatantly wrong....
    Can't see how that's got to do with this flooding
    It's spelled out how it's related to flooding.
    So as far as I'm concerned in my area
    As you said yourself, the problem with flooding doesn't come directly from "your area" but 20+ miles away and then affects other areas.
    this so called massive destruction of bog land that we are doing by cutting our own little bit of turf isn't causing all these floods.
    Everybody "cutting a little bit of turf" on already endangered boglands is the problem.
    Now cap from your past history
    What? :confused:
    I know your a campaigner to have all bogs closed
    :confused: I'm not but If your going to have to resort to getting personal, at least get the facts right.
    but you'll have to get a better stick than that nonsense.
    "Nonsense" - well documented facts you just don't want to agree with.
    Enough said.
    Well then, with logic like that whats left to discuss
    pedigree 6 wrote: »
    You're calling the bogs a sponge.
    If the sponge is full of water and not allowed dry out then water will just run off anyway.
    True but if the overall size of the sponge is decreased and the drainage off it is increased too much then it's capacity to hold water and let it off in a controlled manner is drastically affected. We've had it here locally when lads go in to "improve" the bog. drains everywhere that pushes the problem a mile down the road and the road crossing drains to the river can't handle the sudden deluge.
    In England they're blocking drains and the sponge is constantly full of water so any rain that falls just runs off or creates a landslide.
    As above; the drains they're blocking were a lot like the "improvement drains" dug around here and they are now trying to undo the work. Then there are the "drains" in places like Sussex across southern England, the drains the are blocking are lower than river levels so are being closed to stop water draining out of the rivers back up inland.
    I think our sponges were already full of water before this rain came.
    True as well, the bogs aren't a magic source to fully alleviate the amount of water that fell and is still coming down.
    What needs to happen is any land flooded now should be mapped and then don't allow any new buildings on this land or if they want to build, raise the height of the buildings above the flood level and add on a bit higher to be sure.
    Thats the ideal situation. A few bob in the paw of the local elected official will skirt that problem.

Suckler half that post wasn't aimed at you if you read it again.You cant multi post on a phone so we have to do the best we can ;)

If you read my post above you would see that our bog is self containing all water remains in it and nothing floods somewhere else from its waters as all drains lead back into an used section of it. Nothing comes out of it. Maybe a small amount over time like you say into the lough that a section borders but that's it.

Can't speak for all bogs but can speak for our own which I'm doing. To say all bogs being cut for turf are resulting in flooding is madness. Maybe some are and im not going to argue that. Bord no mona bogs most def I'd say but don't be beating us all with the same stick is what I'm getting at.

You keep going on about nure bog is 95% destroyed. That was from agriculture and not turf cutting this would have been done possibly a hundred years ago. Most of it is still there under the grass as nothing but sheep are grazed on that area.

I'm not disagreeing that the area of nure is only 5% of what it once was as it more than likely is but we don't flood because we are cutting on it.

I don't like arguing with people but I don't like when people make broad statements about things. God knows why I'm even talking about this as it half ruined my childhood :D but it was very important to the way of life here to the auld folk so I feel a little annoyed when I see posters trying to tarish them with the likes of bord na mona when they spent thier lifes keeping the banks clean and rubbish free as bogs always attract fly tippers for some reason.

Bord na mona Now there's an organisation that had ravaged the landscape you only need to look at the bog in rhode. Disgraceful.

Anyways lads we are getting way off topic here so let's say we agree to disagree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,859 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

windy but dry here today:rolleyes:

whelan2 wrote: »
    windy but dry here today:rolleyes:

Your telling me. Up a hill gathering cattle. Bloody cold

• Advertisement

Anyways lads we are getting way off topic here so let's say we agree to disagree

I agree:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Very Windy and dull
    Carbon copy of Monday with rain by evening

Poor Leitrim Village and Carrick on Shannon :(
    Last time I seen flooding like this I had to go interview the SuperValu manager for a college project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,542 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Some flood falling again here now :(

Some flood falling again here now :(

Nice drop falling here too

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement