Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

whats the weather like in your area?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

With the rain this evening and torrential rain forecast for the south and midlands this weekend, it looks like this flooding will be worse or already is worse than 2009. I heard Mairead Lavery on newstalk today telling any farmers if they were going into the floods what with limited daylight to wear hi vis clothing and to carry their phones and tell people where they were going.
    It looks like its getting beyond serious now. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

cold here all day, starting to rain heavily now, cold and miserable

for the life of me i cannot understand why ,River Shannon and other dams could not have been lowered by ESB and other authorities, even one week in lead up to Storm Desmond or as soon as forecast, one official said on News some dam on Shannon was 10cm below some level that they regarded as safe or manageable , that's 1/3 of a foot 4". now they release it when its danger time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

the lads that were on the news a fortnight ago complaining about plans for water to be pumped from the shannon to the east of the country will have a job get anyone on their side after this past week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭barnaman

number one thing I would do is demolish Ardnacrusha dam. It raised the water level of the Shannon considerably. Also alot of OPW drainage work is couterproductive, seen them do it on relatives farm and all seem to do is destroy river, make it deeper and faster and instead of letting water flood a little over alot of farmland it all is getting dumped in huge volumes further down stream but hey keeps the lads working for the council doing the work for the OPW busy.

the lads that were on the news a fortnight ago complaining about plans for water to be pumped from the shannon to the east of the country will have a job get anyone on their side after this past week.

Ah that was just stupid. It was the fishery crowd and the hotels that they were staying in were objecting to this. You'd think listening to them that they were going to drain the Shannon. These are the same crowds that object to dredging and cleaning out drains.

On a good note I see that flood protection barriers worked on estates in Ballinasloe that were flooded in 09.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

barnaman wrote: »
    number one thing I would do is demolish Ardnacrusha dam. It raised the water level of the Shannon considerably. Also alot of OPW drainage work is couterproductive, seen them do it on relatives farm and all seem to do is destroy river, make it deeper and faster and instead of letting water flood a little over alot of farmland it all is getting dumped in huge volumes further down stream but hey keeps the lads working for the council doing the work for the OPW busy.
    Lad from OPW today on radio said dredging Shannon is basically pointlesss. The catchment area of the Shannon is huge and volumes of water equally massive.

Lad from OPW today on radio said dredging Shannon is basically pointlesss. The catchment area of the Shannon is huge and volumes of water equally massive.

Call in the Chinese.:D
    Better still the Dutch are not too far away.

I think barnaman hit the nail on the head. If you drain land you start at the lowest point first and work up from that. Start at the sea first and work back.

think most ordinary folk backed by a survey group who specialize in that sort of work regard the meeting point of the Shannon and Mulclair river as a congested area needing cleaning, mostly the Shannon part.
    some heavy downpours here today and bitterly cold,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Rain falling here again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

it's when it starts rising you need to watch out!

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    it's when it starts rising you need to watch out!

Trust me when I say if we start to flood your all in bother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

for those ppl that were giving out about the red weather warning last weekend, do they still think it wasn't justified

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

grand and sunny here.... hope it last till dusk, I never mind rain in the dark for some reason, but it ruins the day because you can see it more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,859 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

ganmo wrote: »
    for those ppl that were giving out about the red weather warning last weekend, do they still think it wasn't justified
    Isnt there another warning in place for this weekend? Lovely day here today, was cold this morning

ganmo wrote: »

Better be prepared for the worst and the worst doesn't happen than the worst does happen and not be prepared for it.

Grand and sunny here so far. Great chance to catch up on some work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

whelan2 wrote: »
    Isnt there another warning in place for this weekend? Lovely day here today, was cold this morning

yellow for most of the country with orange in cork kerry and clare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Heavy snow fell last night the place is pure white. Back to bed for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Driving rain accompanied by a steady 50kmh wind. Staggering to look at after a couple of weeks of non stop sun, gusting winds and tiny showers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭kay 9

Plenty of the white stuff around West Galway too. I better go feedin'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

About two inches snow all overt here. No traffic on road so I'm thinking it's impassible for next few hours.

Kids will be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

_Brian wrote: »
    About two inches snow all overt here. No traffic on road so I'm thinking it's impassible for next few hours.

Kids will be happy.

Roads aren't bad Brian. But then again it could be snowing around you in June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

_Brian wrote: »

Kids will be happy.

Same as that here & was supposed to be doing allot of traveling today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

We've just had a solid 12 hrs rain in west cork, and it looks like there's another few hrs in it according to the forecast.
    In a way I like to get all this bad weather in december, it's seasonal and we'll get a certain amount of it every year, so the ideal time to get it is now, not nxt march when we're trying to get cattle back out again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

kay 9 wrote: »
    Plenty of the white stuff around West Galway too. I better go feedin'

We must be in different parts of west Galway Kay , its lashing here and the flood water is coming up as high as it was last Saturday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Completely white here in Monaghan. Good fall overnight. Is this to last, wasn't really watching the weather so it's a big suprise in this house.

Lots of rain but no snow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Bullocks wrote: »
    We must be in different parts of west Galway Kay , its lashing here and the flood water is coming up as high as it was last Saturday

No snow in north Galway either boss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Back to rain now here in Cavan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

We've just had a solid 12 hrs rain in west cork, and it looks like there's another few hrs in it according to the forecast.
    In a way I like to get all this bad weather in december, it's seasonal and we'll get a certain amount of it every year, so the ideal time to get it is now, not nxt march when we're trying to get cattle back out again.

Agreed fully, the one thing that seems to steady even with this climate change is the overall yearly average rain fall, we had a ridiculously mild autumn, so we have been well due this heavy rainfall now.

Main thing is once I can get slurry out come the 15th of Jan haha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I've an old relative in her 80's, that lives on her own. Her house is low and when it rains, the water fills up the septic tank which is very low in higher ground behind her. The water level is now 1" from the top of the toilet bowl and the bath is full up 3/4 with dirty water. I keep telling her she is ok as the manhole cover outside is overflowing and so the level can't go any higher.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

I'm between the Corrib and the mask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Good dash of snow round here too (Roscommon mayo boarder) I wasn't paying much attention to the weather yesterday but I certainly didn't think this much snow was promised they were talking more about a big of sleet and just more rain.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

There's a big lake behind the house here this morning where there never was a lake before. I hope the feckin swans don't spot it or the bstards will be here for the winter. Had to buy new wellies yesterday, think I should have bought waders as well.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

never seen the land as wet here in south-west Meath, was fairly ok yesterday no pools of water on drier fields but tiday there is a film of water across the whole field never seen it as wet maybe after heavy snow in 2010. rarely get snow here so not surprised at that were very low altitiude around here the highest point for 4 mile radius is about 160 meters. although if we get 2-3 dry days with a wind the land dries out quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I'm between the Corrib and the mask.

My geography wouldn't be great but would that be cong area ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

My geography wouldn't be great but would that be cong area ?

Your geography ain't bad. Clonbur, 3 miles from Cong. On the border sort of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Very wet here in Wicklow since 7am this morning
    Quite a flood and still lashing down
    Light in yard with night sensoe has stayed on its that dark

Land is very wet now. Must have been serious rain over the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

A lake near our place in Longford is very high. I remember as a child it flooded the road but it's not far off doing it now considering the level of the road has probably risen over the years due to resurfacing.
    My heart goes out to those in the West that have their homes and farms under water yet again.
    The last time (2009) those areas were flooded the IFA organised fodder collections points from counties that were not affected. We gave 10 round bales of hay and barley straw at that time. Does anyone know if they are doing the same now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Your geography ain't bad. Clonbur, 3 miles from Cong. On the border sort of.

I'd call clonbur north Galway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

18* today. Exceptionally mild for the time of year.

Good drop of rain hee today. Getting rough. No sign of it to stop either

Very wet earlier
    Wet again now with some heavy showers
    Teaming down at the minute

pouring here now, and windy,
    lot of surface water on roads at minute, saw big pothole yesterday morning and about six cars with damaged wheels along road , reported it to local Garda station , council had it sorted in an hour

Good lord
    Still lashing and windy now too

The drone pictures of the shannon river farm flooding on prime time are awful

13 degrees at 9pm on 16th december :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭Milked out

whelan2 wrote: »
    13 degrees at 9pm on 16th december :eek:

And flies knocking around all the time, can't remember a frost in the last 2 months either down here.

• Advertisement

Milked out wrote: »
    And flies knocking around all the time, can't remember a frost in the last 2 months either down here.

Yeah it's very warm here in dublin tonight

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement