Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

whats the weather like in your area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

I wish I was joking john. Heavy ground here coupled with high rainfall. No point in poaching ground to **** and stock not thriving either. This is where these nice 2 or 3 per acre bales come in handy.

That's a hoor to have to consider housing. We love rain here as growth crashed last week to the 30's. Measured Sunday and back to 75 and I'd say anything with >700 grew 200 in yesterday afternoons heat.
    I'm stopping bales to milkers this morning after 8 days feeding but your point about those surplus bales is so valid. You'll feed for a completely different reason to me but we still both need to feed at times. Solids didn't get in any way affected as a result.

Tis a strange little country for weather and add in soil types it's totally bats

A little foggy here last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

A little foggy here last night

That's dust son. That's rarer than fog around these parts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Raining away down here. Twas a grand sunny day here yesterday

Raining Raining Rainging

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

No rain forecast they said, a dry night they said. and then it rained the whole night.
    I have cousins round Dowra who have cattle in the shed, drawing in grass and no fodder made for winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

That's a hoor to have to consider housing. We love rain here as growth crashed last week to the 30's. Measured Sunday and back to 75 and I'd say anything with >700 grew 200 in yesterday afternoons heat.
    I'm stopping bales to milkers this morning after 8 days feeding but your point about those surplus bales is so valid. You'll feed for a completely different reason to me but we still both need to feed at times. Solids didn't get in any way affected as a result.

Tis a strange little country for weather and add in soil types it's totally bats

The weather in our area seems to be getting alot worse as the years go by, I've qualified this by asking alot of older folk for their opinion.
    Cattle housed for 6 months is becoming the norm around here.
    It has put me thinking that a move to 20 miles away would shave a minimum of 2 months from the housing period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,865 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

The weather in our area seems to be getting alot worse as the years go by, I've qualified this by asking alot of older folk for their opinion.
    Cattle housed for 6 months is becoming the norm around here.
    It has put me thinking that a move to 20 miles away would shave a minimum of 2 months from the housing period.
    Its totally laughable when you hear lads on here going on about "drought" they have their cows out in January/February.... at least when they are feeding bales during their"drought" its not in muck and scutter. Yet they still complain:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Hot.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Its totally laughable when you hear lads on here going on about "drought" they have their cows out in January/February.... at least when they are feeding bales during their"drought" its not in muck and scutter. Yet they still complain:cool:

We are allowed talk about the weather just like you. It's the weather forum after all!!

• Advertisement

Dawggone wrote: »
    Hot.

**** that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Smashing day in nw mayo. View from blacksod to achill and down over blacksod lighthouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭MF290

A lovely 29 degrees... I'll shut the door behind me

lovely morning, hopefully it stays dry , have bales to do in a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

Super morning here hoping to get 6 acres of bales made will cut out later today and bale tomorrow

Lovely day, very breezy though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

28c today and not a breeze.
    Ready to get ferry back tomorrow afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Hot.

Suffering Jesus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Couple of showers earlier in the day. But just had 45 mins of torrential rain. West Cork

Great day here today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Powerful day here today, warm and sunny with a nice breeze. Just coming on dark a shower of light rain as the neighbour finished baling straw.

Suffering Jesus!

Last week was 37-42 with some respite today at 30.

Back up to mid to high 30s next week and not a drop of rain in sight. Sigh.
    Lot of planting to do but its a dustbowl now.

Ah sure thats only a sun holiday out there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Lovely weather for pottering around on holidays, but a different story when you have to work in it and a different story again when you have to work with it to earn a crust!

But you have to work with what you've got, and noone better than yourself to know how to do it.

Some lads here in Ireland on v wet farms only making first cut silage now. Take your pick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Factor 50 weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

Now wouldn't a fortnight or 3 weeks of that be welcome around here at the moment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭jaymla627

How do you fair with mosiquitios/flies in that weather, you soon get used to the heat but the flies alone when I was working out in Oz would drive you insane....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Drop of rain here wouldn't go astray either.

Lovely morning

• Advertisement

Peach of a day here, sunny and no wind. Last rain here was Tues got plenty from last Thurs till Tues but 2 windy days followed removing half of it. Growth has recovered but will need rain soon to maintain it otherwise we'll be back feeding silage by next weekend. It's worth noting that feeding out in dry weather is no penance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Agreed 100%, looking at some of the photos of the ground being poached up the north west etc puts our problems in perspective.

Muckit wrote: »
    Lovely weather for pottering around on holidays, but a different story when you have to work in it and a different story again when you have to work with it to earn a crust!

But you have to work with what you've got, and noone better than yourself to know how to do it.

Some lads here in Ireland on v wet farms only making first cut silage now. Take your pick!

Good God, only making first cut now??

Now wouldn't a fortnight or 3 weeks of that be welcome around here at the moment!

You're more than welcome to it. I'll swap you for 100mm rain.

jaymla627 wrote: »
    How do you fair with mosiquitios/flies in that weather, you soon get used to the heat but the flies alone when I was working out in Oz would drive you insane....

Flies and mozzies aren't a patch on OZ.
    Spent a while there by the Murray river and I still have nightmares of the flies. There was an insect repellant that was only supposed to be used on dogs that worked a treat on mozzies...maybe that's why I'm now a Dawg.

There were times in Africa that the flies would blacken the sky...makes me chuckle when people here complain about flies...

Spent a while there by the Murray river and I still have nightmares of the flies. There was an insect repellant that was only supposed to be used on dogs that worked a treat on mozzies...maybe that's why I'm now a Dawg.

There were times in Africa that the flies would blacken the sky...makes me chuckle when people here complain about flies...

There's a memory. While in Kosovo in 2001 the camp was right next to a chicken farm and they would pile up the dung at the perimeter fence. Come the summer the flies would be apocalyptic

• Advertisement

We're you ever in Africa for the termite hatch? Jaysus they would be everywhere. Would clog up the fans of vehicles and everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Used to only take 4-5 days for the carcass of 650kg plus hols cow to be reduced to noting but leather and bones when the flies where at their worst, get a bad dose of West nile river virus out their for my troubles too, still have scars from mozzie bites they used to have a field day with us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭Base price

If we got a fortnight or 3 weeks of 30+ temperatures then we would all just dry up to dust and blow away in the wind :eek:
    30+ temp would cause an awful lot of hardship/health problems to the majority of the population & animals. On the flip side look at how we manage with a dusting of snow and a few frozen water pipes.
    We Irish don't do extremes of temperature well.

Base price wrote: »
    If we got a fortnight or 3 weeks of 30+ temperatures then we would all just dry up to dust and blow away in the wind :eek:
    30+ temp would cause an awful lot of hardship/health problems to the majority of the population & animals. On the flip side look at how we manage with a dusting of snow and a few frozen water pipes.
    We Irish don't do extremes of temperature well.

Ain't that the truth. First signs of frost and everyone forgets how to drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

In France at the moment, and anything cut for (I presume) second cut is just brown grass and dust. Cattle, mainly dry cows and weanlings, all being fed round bales, and in some places fresh maize. Tens of thousands of acres of maize around, which seems to be doing well. Most of the cereals ground disked. As far as i can gather dairy farmers are holding protests at the Dairy Co Op's branches over low prices. Not even particularly hot here (Normandy) it was mid to high 20's for a few days there gone by, but no rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Cool this morning and foggy when I was getting up. Fog burned off and it's a smashing day down here

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    In France at the moment, and anything cut for (I presume) second cut is just brown grass and dust. Cattle, mainly dry cows and weanlings, all being fed round bales, and in some places fresh maize. Tens of thousands of acres of maize around, which seems to be doing well. Most of the cereals ground disked. As far as i can gather dairy farmers are holding protests at the Dairy Co Op's branches over low prices. Not even particularly hot here (Normandy) it was mid to high 20's for a few days there gone by, but no rain.

Drive 500km south if you want to work on your tan Nek. Things are a lot more burned up here. Hedgecutter started a fire on Fri night as everything is tinderbox dry. Water restrictions etc.

Dairy farmers are protesting against Lactalis which is (I think) the biggest Coop and the lowest price. They blockaded a roundabout in front of Lactalis HQ which has ended because fines were threatened...

Lovely day, typical back to school weather :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Nekarsulm wrote: »

Just arrived back from Normamdy ourselves thismorning. Enjoy!

_Brian wrote: »
    Just arrived back from Normamdy ourselves thismorning. Enjoy!

Thanks Brian, back ourselves on Thur. morning. Another black mark from the Teacher! :D

Was looking at the goods in Taxidermists shop today. He had these lovely cow skins for sale. from native Normandie cattle.
    These come in a lovely speckled Brindle colour.

like to guess how much he was charging for a cow skin?

V1MKWPx.jpg

€220? Think that was the cost of reindeer skins in Finland.

Go again .....

320?:pac:

whelan2 wrote: »
    Lovely day, typical back to school weather :cool:

Hay making weather here

320?:pac:

xLqMvrn.jpg

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement