Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daylight Robbery in Gamestop

Options
  • 17-12-2010 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

I went to trade in Pro Evolution Soccer 2010 for X-Box 360 today in my local Gamestop(will not name the actual outlet). I did'nt expect much perhaps €7 or €8 at most that I could put towards a second hand game. He scanned in the game and he said to me ''€3.10 credit or €2.30 cash''. I stared at him, before eventually replying ''Are you serious? Thats daylight robbery''. I thought to myself, they should be wearing balaclavas!! I know the new version is out but I still feel Gamestop should be giving more credit for games considering the money is being put back into the company when you buy a game with the credit.
    Your thoughts or experiences

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭dunworth1

thats what happens to old sports games.

they are the old version so noone would be buying it.

everywhere is the same

and it also depends on how many copies of that game are in the store the more they have the less you get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Best to stick your games on adverts.ie tbh. That way you are selling directly to the end-user, not someone trying to turn over a fast €20.00

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭sierra117x

yeah if only it was limited to sports games ive never gotten more than a 5er for a game . fair enough most of them where old but there where a couple of relatively new and popular games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Yes_Man

dunworth1 wrote: »
    thats what happens to old sports games.

they are the old version so noone would be buying it.

everywhere is the same

and it also depends on how many copies of that game are in the store the more they have the less you get

I can accept that its an old game and that but receiving €3 credit for a game that was bought for €50 seems mad, thats 94% depreciation in 1 year.

Lightning I totally agree with your there, it's not as if they then sell the game for €10 pre-owned, but €25!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I traded in Bully Scholarship Edition because it was buggy as hell.I got €15 but the last time I checked the shop were still selling it for €35.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

I foolishly brought dj hero 1 when it came out for €120, i brought it back to the same store they offered me 25 a month later!!!

I dont bother with trade ins with gs and try not to use them as much as possible. Xtra vision give a slightly better rate IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

i dont buy or sell with gamestop or game at this stage. Its easier to sell/part swap online and you dont get left feeling like theyre sticking their hand in your back pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Its not daylight robbery.

How many people do you think actually want to buy a 2nd hand PES 2010? Close to none. So Gamestop are factoring in the fact they are probably going to lose money on this game. Take into account that about 100 people will have traded in PES 2010, months before you did. The reason it is €35 is because they have to try to make back the money they lose by taking these games and not selling them. So no, you have not been robbed.

Trading in games only works if you complete the game/get done with it within a few months of its release. You cant expect to get more than some change for a game that Gamestop, or any other business will likely have sitting on their shelves for years.

Businesses that do trade ins like Gamestop dont set out thinking "Lets scam these feckers!" they go out thinking "How can we not lose money by taking on games nobody will buy". Its frustrating, I know that, but you have to try to see it from their point of view. As has been previously stated, your much better off using Adverts.ie to sell or swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭SeanyMc22

Pro Evo 2010 Used is €9.99 in Gamestop. I always had the notion in my head that when selling a game 2nd hand the realistic price to expect to get for it is a third of its value. €3.10 seems fair to me.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

How many people do you think actually want to buy a 2nd hand PES 2010? Close to none. So Gamestop are factoring in the fact they are probably going to lose money on this game. Take into account that about 100 people will have traded in PES 2010, months before you did. The reason it is €35 is because they have to try to make back the money they lose by taking these games and not selling them. So no, you have not been robbed.

Trading in games only works if you complete the game/get done with it within a few months of its release. You cant expect to get more than some change for a game that Gamestop, or any other business will likely have sitting on their shelves for years.

Businesses that do trade ins like Gamestop dont set out thinking "Lets scam these feckers!" they go out thinking "How can we not lose money by taking on games nobody will buy". Its frustrating, I know that, but you have to try to see it from their point of view. As has been previously stated, your much better off using Adverts.ie to sell or swap.

I can understand that at the end of the day Gamestop are a business but I feel in the current climate they should make the effort to support their loyal customers. By giving more credit for games(I can agree with the cash value) the customer is going to spend more, after all any credit that is given by gamestop is spent directly back into the company generating more sales.
    Also, I never said I had been actually robbed, ''daylight robbery'' is a figure of speach.

blaze1 wrote: »
    I foolishly brought dj hero 1 when it came out for €120, i brought it back to the same store they offered me 25 a month later!!!

I dont bother with trade ins with gs and try not to use them as much as possible. Xtra vision give a slightly better rate IMO

That seems unfair to me, only 1/5 of the original value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Its where the majority of their profit margin comes from, i dont think any game vendor breaks even on first time sales

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

if they took the game in for 4 euro they could sell it off for a tenner and that would be a profit.
    reasons alot of games are still sitting there for years is because the price on them is crazy. they could easily knock money off the games that are sitting there with ages and they sell fast. ( to stingy people like myself:rolleyes: and a hell of alot more people)
    if they had games sitting there for years all they have to do is stick it in a bargain box for maybe 6 or 8 euro and it will be sold. so theres no loss there.there not making much of a profit but still making 4 of 5 euro is better than a game sitting on the shelf not been sold.

but if this whole new online pass codes come out on more games the price of second hand games will have to make a big change.

garv123 wrote: »
    if they took the game in for 4 euro they could sell it off for a tenner and that would be a profit.
    reasons alot of games are still sitting there for years is because the price on them is crazy. they could easily knock money off the games that are sitting there with ages and they sell fast. ( to stingy people like myself:rolleyes: and a hell of alot more people)
    if they had games sitting there for years all they have to do is stick it in a bargain box for maybe 6 or 8 euro and it will be sold. so theres no loss there.there not making much of a profit but still making 4 of 5 euro is better than a game sitting on the shelf not been sold.

but if this whole new online pass codes come out on more games the price of second hand games will have to make a big change.

What are online pass codes? I don't play online that much so im not up to date on it

Yes_Man wrote: »
    What are online pass codes? I don't play online that much so im not up to date on it

wel basically in battlefield bad company 2 when you buy the game new you get these codes u enter which gives you access to all the maps. when you trade the game in and someone else buys it they must pay 1200 ms points to access the maps, or else your stuck with 4 i think.

i hear tiger woods you cant access online without them or something like that. its so they can make money from the game even when its second hand because the original makers dont get a penny when their games are send second hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

The problem is the Fifa and PES titles are not games they're updates. Who would want to buy fifa 07? I saw it on sale for a Euro and I turned my nose up at it. Only an obsessive compulsive achievement whore would buy any of these games at any price once they're two years out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

I always go to HMV to buy and trade games. Always get more value for them, main reason is they arent bogged down with tons of the same game.

They are also very reasonable when selling second hand games, they arent making 300% profit on them.

I got rid of black ops the other day, bought it for 55 on launch day, Broght it in to them to trade against another game, and got 41, i was delighted.

Black ops second hand is 50 i think.

GS had the sign in the window that black ops trade in was 25. :rolleyes:

Love HMV. :pac:

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    I always go to HMV to buy and trade games. Always get more value for them, main reason is they arent bogged down with tons of the same game.

They are also very reasonable when selling second hand games, they arent making 300% profit on them.

I got rid of black ops the other day, bought it for 55 on launch day, Broght it in to them to trade against another game, and got 41, i was delighted.

Black ops second hand is 50 i think.

GS had the sign in the window that black ops trade in was 25. :rolleyes:

Love HMV. :pac:

HMV seems to be offering good value so, to bad theres no shop near me :(

They to sell new releases about a fiver cheaper on average too. I couldn't believe I got Blazlue:Continuum shift for 17 Euro on its release day in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Yes_Man wrote: »
    ... Gamestop are a business but I feel in the current climate they should make the effort to support their loyal customers.

FFS, loyal customers? No such thing - if Gamestop are selling a game for €55, and XtraVision are down the road selling the same game for €40, loyalty flies out the window.

The world isn't all unicorns and rainbows :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭WheresMyCamera?

The world isn't all unicorns and rainbows :pac:

awwwh:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

The price was probably put down more than another game that was released at a similar time would have since the 2011 one is out, but i've noticed over the last few years that gamestop have gotten worse and worse, their prices have gone up while the amount they give for second hand games has dropped significantly, gamestop used to be far cheaper than game, for console games anyway but recently i was shocked to find out that game actually has a lot of games going cheaper :O

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

I've no complaints with Gamestop.

I recently brought back the PS2/3 remote microphones for the singstar series...I paid 44.99 for them last xmas and got 29.99 back for them.

I was so impressed, I posted on bargain alerts...they also gave us 50c back on a few games that I only paid 4euro for this year.

Just my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Pah! I don't trade in any games. They make great Christmas presents for the nieces and nephews :)

Fittle wrote: »
    I've no complaints with Gamestop.

I recently brought back the PS2/3 remote microphones for the singstar series...I paid 44.99 for them last xmas and got 29.99 back for them.

I was so impressed, I posted on bargain alerts...they also gave us 50c back on a few games that I only paid 4euro for this year.

Just my experience.

yeah its ok if you picked it up second hand but imagine if you bought it new(peel off the pre owned stickers and its as good as new) for 60 euro and then been offered 50 cent for it.
    i do agree though fifa and pro evo decrease in value rapidly when a new one comes out and ive seen them dirt cheap for like 10 euro for fifa 10 in both game and game stop.fair enough for these games. a new one comes out which most people will get. someone said these games wont sell even at this price. but i disagree. the game isnt the newest but il admit im in college and have feck all money for games and il pick up one of these copies for dirt cheap and myself and the lads will have many hours of crack on it playing it even though its not the newest simply because none of us have a spare 60 euro for a new oneprice of drink these days. shameful:rolleyes::rolleyes: but still these older games are a great way of having a great crack. and im not a big soccer gamer but i do prefer some of the older fifa's

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

The whole the 2nd hand prices thing is very annoying indeed, it's more understandable with sports games but, with every other genre I find it annoying indeed.

Just wait until all publishers start doing the online pass thing like what EA Sports are doing. It will hurt gamestop's 2nd hand business. Karma is a bitch.

Laisurg wrote: »
    The price was probably put down more than another game that was released at a similar time would have since the 2011 one is out, but i've noticed over the last few years that gamestop have gotten worse and worse, their prices have gone up while the amount they give for second hand games has dropped significantly, gamestop used to be far cheaper than game, for console games anyway but recently i was shocked to find out that game actually has a lot of games going cheaper :O

The fact is that Game stop will have to lower their prices if they want to stay competitive with HMV. Game have started to a certain degree already, as have extra vision. Smyths were always hit and miss but good for trade ins.
    The thing is most of Gamestops shops are in small to medium sized towns where the only other alternative is a limited selection in extra vision/tescos and golden discs etc. While HMV and Game have most of their shops in the cities and large towns and compete with each other and Smyths and Gamestop. So Gamestop can think they can afford to rip people off as they have no competition in their main locales. But these days people often go to a larger population centre for their shopping in bulk if they can save money. So sooner or later Game stop will have to shape up.

These are my points exactly, some people were saying oh what do you expect its a sports game, but that was only my example. It's happening with every type of game! I would have to agree with the poster above that in small towns there is only a Gamestop, no Game or HMV or sometimes even Xtra Vision like in the big cities. Gamestop have a monopoly and think they can charge what they want. Simple Economics would tell Gamestop that if they have excess supply of certain games they should drop the price in order to sell more

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Xluna wrote: »
    They to sell new releases about a fiver cheaper on average too. I couldn't believe I got Blazlue:Continuum shift for 17 Euro on its release day in there.
    was that a special offer price? would love to get that game..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Not sure if it's been mentioned but one of the things that will probably affect trade in prices is how many they have in stock.

Given that people will probably trade in the old version of a PES to buy the new one, they might have loads in stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

was that a special offer price? would love to get that game..
    Last time I checked it was that price, so I think it's the permanent price.

They'll make more money off it by adding half of the new characters via psn/xbl, it's probably the reason for the low price point.

Advertisement