Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daylight Robbery in Gamestop

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

was that a special offer price? would love to get that game..

No, as far as I know that's the price of it in HMV. The special edition is about forty five quid. lol I recommend it, it's a very good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Xluna wrote: »
    No, as far as I know that's the price of it in HMV. The special edition is about forty five quid. lol I recommend it, it's a very good game.

Defo will pick it up for that price;) thank u so much :)

No prob. They should give me a job in HMV at this stage.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭strife

the exact same thing happen to my little brother a few years ago only he was ten at the time.
    It was a local gamespot store and he went in with a few of his games looking to trade and buy a new one but after trading in 4 or 5 games (which would have been recent enough) the game him €5.70 i went in and demanded the games back and asked how they could justify robbing a child. the manager of the store refused and came up with some excuse to this day i still wont shop in game stop, they are thieves pure and simple !

I remember before they were bought by Game stop (An American company-surprise surprise*cough, cut throat capitalists, cough*) they were an Irish company and called something else. Games world or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

garv123 wrote: »
    wel basically in battlefield bad company 2 when you buy the game new you get these codes u enter which gives you access to all the maps. when you trade the game in and someone else buys it they must pay 1200 ms points to access the maps, or else your stuck with 4 i think.

i hear tiger woods you cant access online without them or something like that. its so they can make money from the game even when its second hand because the original makers dont get a penny when their games are send second hand

Please dont tell me Fight Night 4 and UFC 09 are like this :eek:.. I did know about these codes but im pretty sure it aint for these games... Im only after ordering the 2 for 15 pound there on Saturday on game.co.uk... Hopefully they get here before christmas aswell :) probably not though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I remember before they were bought by Game stop (An American company-surprise surprise*cough, cut throat capitalists, cough*) they were an Irish company and called something else. Games world or something?

Yep, they were Gamesworld. I remeber when they started out as a small corner at the back on Chapters Bookshop in Abbey Street. You could haggle with them over the price of your trade-ins, and they had a great stock of 3D0 games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Yes_Man

Ya I can remember Gamesworld, anyone actually know how many years ago that was?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Probably 16 or so now. Think I got my 3DO in 1994 or 95.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Yes_Man

Probably 16 or so now. Think I got my 3DO in 1994 or 95.

Ya I would say that could be about right, I was only a little kid when it was Gamesworld

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I was offered €2.40 for two games in Gamestop (1 iteration old Smackdown - 40cent, second iteration was due out soon after & 1 iteration old PES). Will never even consider trading in a game there again. I'd rather have them collect dust tbh.

In Limerick, HMV, GAME & Gamestop are all within 2 mins walking distance. Gamestop religiously give less for trade-ins, and the new/second games are nearly always dearer.

Gamestop lost money in Ireland last year, so hopefully people are realising you can get better value elsewhere the vast, vast majority of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Please dont tell me Fight Night 4 and UFC 09 are like this :eek:.. I did know about these codes but im pretty sure it aint for these games... Im only after ordering the 2 for 15 pound there on Saturday on game.co.uk... Hopefully they get here before christmas aswell :) probably not though :(

if there ea games they could be. im not sure about it at all thought. maybe someone who has them could give u a right answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

Dont think Fight Night needs an online pass, UFC 09 either the newer one however yes it does

• Registered Users Posts: 12,492 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Can't actually handle the gamestop in Killarney, they treat you like and awful fecking idiot when you go in there, try to buy a game and you just get harrased about trade ins and insurance and all this crap. I always go up to xtravision instead now, although buying online is usally the cheapest

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭jesmed

my advice is sell them to someone online......youre always gonna feel robbed by the likes of GS....3 euro was a joke.

Yeah, insure your game for a Euro. Like I'd want to insure a preowned game that's only four Euro to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Rooney10 wrote: »
    I was offered €2.40 for two games in Gamestop (1 iteration old Smackdown - 40cent, second iteration was due out soon after & 1 iteration old PES). Will never even consider trading in a game there again. I'd rather have them collect dust tbh.

In Limerick, HMV, GAME & Gamestop are all within 2 mins walking distance. Gamestop religiously give less for trade-ins, and the new/second games are nearly always dearer.

Gamestop lost money in Ireland last year, so hopefully people are realising you can get better value elsewhere the vast, vast majority of time.

no wonder, i made a fair bit of money off the 5e trade in deal this year. i must have bought Bioshock 2 6 times over for more credit in another shop. i got 42.50 euro trade in for red dead about a month after the games release, i only bought it new for 45!

i love gamestop sometimes, they are open to be screwed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

siblers wrote: »
    Can't actually handle the gamestop in Killarney, they treat you like and awful fecking idiot when you go in there, try to buy a game and you just get harrased about trade ins and insurance and all this crap. I always go up to xtravision instead now, although buying online is usally the cheapest

+1 on xtravision over gamestop, they beat the pants off them all the time, usually cheaper for new games, waaaaay better trade in values and the late open hours are a god send.

I cant remeber the last time I shopped in gamestop, nearly always xtravision or in failing that GAME.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Please dont tell me Fight Night 4 and UFC 09 are like this :eek:..

Nope, they aren't.

This is only a pretty recent thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,492 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Went in there today as they had a trade in special if you trade in a new game (like black ops or assasins creed) you could get another new game for €14.99. I had black ops for ps3 (we had a spare one left over at work) but I want it for the 360 so went to trade it in to get it for the 360 but it only works on the same formats, don't see why you can't trade in a ps3 game for a xbox game or vice versa, very annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭theUbiq

Isn't everyone sick of the disgrace that is Gamestop yet?

Everything is overpriced in their stores. I find Game and HMV much cheaper.

theUbiq wrote: »
    Isn't everyone sick of the disgrace that is Gamestop yet?

Everything is overpriced in their stores. I find Game and HMV much cheaper.

Overall they are worst of the big three, having said that some of their preowned games are reasonably priced ( I saw Suikoden V for less than a fiver a few months ago in Gamestop), they have some very well priced preowned dvds and I tend to pick up a few gems that I can't find elsewhere from their preowned section. Hopefully someone from management in Game stop is reading this thread; taking notice and next year someone will start a positive thread regarding Game stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Hopefully someone from management in Game stop is reading this thread; taking notice and next year someone will start a positive thread regarding Game stop.

They dont need to be tbh, if we all just vote with our feet and just not shop there they will soon get the idea. I havent gone there in ages and it hasnt made a diff to them, not that I thought it would but its def made a diff to my pocket thats for sure.

Advertisement