Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RFD's in Limerick city?

Options
  • 17-12-2010 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

As the title says. In Limerick city for a few days, and figured I might browse a bit. Keeping my eyes open for a .223 in the hopefully not too distant future.
    I'm also a divil for small gucci bits of gear :o.
    Checked the Boards Wiki, and the Limerick Angling Centre is either closed, or I was on the wrong John St :confused:.
    So, any pointers appreciated. Not looking to travel too far outside the city by the way ;).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭A Country Voice

Theres a place called the Fishing Shooting and Archery Store on Carr st beside the Milk Market.
    If you search for the milk market Limerick on google maps you'll see carr st.
    I was in there last week looking for a clay trap, (I was just passing and saw a sale sign and popped in).
    Not much to see there in my opinion.
    No clay traps for sale.
    I suppose if you're stuck for something to do you might pass 3-5 mins in there.
    I normally deal with Ray Sampson in Knocklong.
    Must call to him soon and price his clay traps actually, xmas is looming large!!:D

A Country Voice

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Welcome to Ground Zero of Irish shooting !!!:(

Simply said,unless you want to travel outside Limerick you will get diddley squat in the city centre!!! Limerick has absolutly nothing in RFDs in the city environs.
    There is the Limerick shooting &fishing store in the Milk market,but I dont think you will get much "gucci kit" ,maybe possibly some .223.I dunno as he was having some trouble with the restricted liscense and had to order in a large amount of ammo to justify it??

If it isnt 12GA and 22lr......:(

Apart from that,the only other "Firearms dealers" are to be found in South hill,Prospect,Moyross and the Island Field!! However they dont really advertise much,and their wares are of rather questionable legality..:eek:

If you want anything local in decent ammo selection or bits of kit be prepared to travel to eithe rAskeaton Newmarket on Fergus ,Nenagh,Tralee,Mallow,Listowel,Cashel,Galway or county Limerick to Knocklong.Maybe Rathkeale.Dont know if he is still active..

Maybe some of the other lads will know of somone local in the CC???
    I'd love to know where there is one as well.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭dos29

Thanks lads. I'll try the Fishing Shooting and Archery Store on Carr st so.
    But otherwise lookin fairly bleak :(.
    Just to clarify, by gucci gear, I mean the nick nacks like camo covers an the likes, not multiple rocket systems or anything :D. Firearms wise I'm on lookout for a light bolt action .223 rig, new or second hand. Liking the idea of T3 lite.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

just to say that a trip to the shooting???fishing archery shop in the milk market is a waste of time,,,,he only ever has cci .22lr and a few brands of 12g and 1 brand of airgun pellets at 14 euros a tin.
    they don't stock any firearms either,,but can order one for you,mind you his prices are much higher than anyone else.
    so it's a big vote of no confidence in this one.
    try midwest sporting supplies in newmarketonfergus,,kevin mc carthy knows his stuff but very hard to get a hold of. 086 2786323

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭patsat

daveob007 wrote: »
    just to say that a trip to the shooting???fishing archery shop in the milk market is a waste of time,,,,
    he only ever has cci .22lr and a few brands of 12g and 1 brand of airgun pellets at 14 euros a tin.
    they don't stock any firearms either,,but can order one for you,mind you his prices are much higher than anyone else.
    so it's a big vote of no confidence in this one.
    +1. their answer for everything is oh I just sold out of em I'll have em in two weeks!
    He eventually told me he had no interest in being a RFD and wanted to get out of it and just focus on the fishing...at least he was honest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

I went in once, and he was talking to some guy about archery. Listening to him by the time I left, I wasnt sure if he was Robin Hood or William Tell :D

they don't stock any firearms either,,but can order one for you,mind you his prices are much higher than anyone else

Thats about right!Sort of like buying a suit of clothes without being able to try it on for fit,or not being allowed to know the colour.
    I think S***e has been bought out,and his 2nd in command is runnin the show now.
    try midwest sporting supplies in newmarketonfergus,,kevin mc carthy knows his stuff but very hard to get a hold of. 086 2786323

A private audience with the Pope in Rome would be easier to arrange than to get hold of himself..:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Thats about right!Sort of like buying a suit of clothes without being able to try it on for fit,or not being allowed to know the colour.
    I think S***e has been bought out,and his 2nd in command is runnin the show now.

A private audience with the Pope in Rome would be easier to arrange than to get hold of himself..:(

<mod snip> true what you said, if I was stuck I would not deal or buy from him, tried to do a trade with him a while back, <mod snip> Even Gerry Scully beat him by about 300euro::and thats saying something.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Lads,

There is a difference between giving your opinions on a gun shop/person and the service you received from them, and simply running the person into the ground and crossing line to name calling.

To that extent i have edited some posts and insist you read the Shooting forum charter rules prior to anymore posts.

Ez.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I only get to go shooting a handful of times a year so consider myself a very very casual shooter, so I dont go
    through much ammo, I still find I need to horde precious rimfire since the place in Limerick is sooooo.....unreliable.

You go into get some simple bog standard ammo and
    the owner of the store almost makes out like its your fault
    he does not have it in stock!!!!!!!!

I got to say I've found the place in Limerick an utter nightmare, and I totally agree with the other shooters
    that have posted their opinions of the place. I hate giving them my business
    but sometimes I have no choice.

The amount of Porky Pies, stories, and stuff that's being sold for way over the top prices is crazy, The excuses and stories that other posters have mentioned already are all too familiar.

And its not just shooting. Its Archery and Fishing as well.
    Lost count of the amount of times I've heard nothing but negative feed back from people I know that fish.
    ditto for people I know that are into field archery who
    have had nothing but negative interactions.

The owner of the shop in my opinion should just give up
    trying to cater for shooters and people into archery and just
    focus on what his passion is which is fishing.
    (be better also If they stopped advertising that they cater
    for shooters in the local papers when the service is not up to par)

[EDIT: Note: I have no ill feelings for the man himself when chatting to him
    he is very friendly and seems like a nice guy and he has been shooting
    in yesteryear with family members of mine going back donkeys years, I just think he's starting to believe
    his own stories]

What Limerick needs is another Nesters.
    Someplace local and within walking distance of the City
    center.

Paul O'Halloran's in Drangan (spelling??) is where I tend to go whenever
    a buddy decides to travel for supplies. Place despite being small has never been
    out of anything I needed and had very fair prices.

~B

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Most shops around the country will arrange a secure courier to deliver ammunition to your door. Ring around, find the best price available, and add about €7.50 - €10, and pay by whatever means they will accept. You must be at home to accept delivery, that's the only catch.

More people should be using that option IMO.

Edited to add, you'll need to either fax/or scan and email your FAC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

+1 on Paul O'Halloran's in Drangan. A great guy to deal with and prices to beat any in the country.

bullets wrote: »

The owner of the shop in my opinion should just give up
    trying to cater for shooters and people into archery and just
    focus on what his passion is which is fishing.

He did...He sold out to his assistant,and has gone with the fishing stuff online.That is the problem.He admitted it himself ,he is a fisherman and not a shooter.He kind of inherited this as last man standing in Limerick after all others were gone.
    And we have lost about four dealers here that I know of since I grew up in Limerick. Nestors,Kearneys[fruit,veg,guns&ammo:eek:],Limerick Sports store[used to have a gun dealers lic],O Malleys [gundealer plant and tool hire:eek:]

In all fairness the new lad said if anyone who DOES shoot restricted calibres,drops in their liscenses to him and puts in an order for handgun ammo.He WILL order it in,but it does have to be an order of, or over 10K rounds.As per DOJ?/import requirements..He needs to prove the demand is there..And I would like to give him the busisness,support your local stores and all that...So long as it is genuine and there is no blaggarding on price,delivery time ,or some other excuse or hurdle put in the way,real or imagined.
    What Limerick needs is another Nesters.
    Someplace local and within walking distance of the City
    center.

Plus 100 on that one!!;) Unfortunatly the PTB in both the DOJ and Henry St seem to think otherwise...:(:(.
    Guns + LIMERICK = Mass murder,innsurrections,rebellions,and riots,mayhem,blood on the streets,The End of Irish Society As "We"[They] Know It!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

I like the boys above also have found it difficult to get ammo in Limerick. So in the last 6 months - Shotgun cartridges from Kevin in Newmarket on Fergus and 9mm and .22 from Pat Fagan at Gunshop.ie - he will courier to your house after he has copies of you license. Don't bother checking the website as it only has his phone number. I bought the max permitted on the license for both which I am told was quite reasonable.

Advertisement