Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has There Ever Been Snowmen in Galway City?

Options
  • 17-12-2010 1:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

I've never seen decent snowfall lodging in Galway City even despite the recent cold snaps. I've heard it's due to the salty sea air. A few weeks ago the rest of Galway gets a decent snowfall but Galway City gets a mm or so which transforms to ice. Any other time the snow that has fallen has really only been sleet , or a mm lands on the ground only to disappear in a few hours. I've only lived here about 10 years so is this always the case or has it ever had a few inches which has lasted more than a few hours? Ever remember seeing snowmen in Galway?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

yes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Ever remember seeing snowmen in Galway?

There always a few sitting at the bar in The Stage Door.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I built a grand one in 1985 or 86

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭tribesman78

Back in the 80's there was. Around the same time as the last recession:D. Also one year between 98 -00 we had feet of snow it was crazy stuff. Remember walking from town to ballybane and stopping in every pub on the way drinking hot whiskey it was savage craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Ya i made a huge one in the 80s
    But he flew off with some kid

Think they made a film out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

give it 24hours!

10cm of snow expected tonight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

alibabba wrote: »
    Ya i made a huge one in the 80s
    But he flew off with some kid

Think they made a film out of it.

David?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I gave up after they all kept complaining that everything smelt of carrots.

I make no apologies for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I've never seen decent snowfall lodging in Galway City even despite the recent cold snaps. I've heard it's due to the salty sea air. A few weeks ago the rest of Galway gets a decent snowfall but Galway City gets a mm or so which transforms to ice.

The city boundary extends a far way out towards Parkmore/Ballybrit, even in my first year (the year before last) here there was enough snow out there to make a small snowwoman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭stunt_penguin

The 'salty' air? Good grief....

The plain fact of the matter is that Galway and Coastal regions in the west sit right next to 31 million square miles of Atlantic Ocean, most of which is at least 10 degrees C, warming the coastal air. Allong with that we have the Connemara mountains shielding us from northern blasts of arctic weather plus the rest of the Ireland and the UK shielding us from eastern blasts of nordic air. We're incredibly sheltered and don't often even get frost, never mind full on freezing conditions...

That said, much of this weather will come from the northwest , it seems, so we could be in for more snow than usual. For the record galway had amazing snow back in 2000.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

The plain fact of the matter is that Galway and Coastal regions in the west sit right next to 31 million square miles of Atlantic Ocean, most of which is at least 10 degrees C, warming the coastal air. Allong with that we have the Connemara mountains shielding us from northern blasts of arctic weather plus the rest of the Ireland and the UK shielding us from eastern blasts of nordic air. We're incredibly sheltered and don't often even get frost, never mind full on freezing conditions...

That said, much of this weather will come from the northwest , it seems, so we could be in for more snow than usual. For the record galway had amazing snow back in 2000.

I'm with the penguin on this one ^^^. They know about these things. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 GetThatDownYa

Thanks for the info although could have done without the "good grief" part of it

Advertisement