Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insulation company recommendations

• 17-12-2010 1:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I am getting a few quotes for some retrofitting of insulation and heating controls in my house. I was wondering if anyobdy had used Southern Insulation Services and if so would you recommend them. Also if there are any other insulation companies that people would recommmend or tell me to avoid please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

Yip, They did the insulation for me, did a grand job, clean and tidy. Couple of things to make life easier for you;
    • Check that the walls are capped or when they blow in the beading it will overflow, unless the tops of the walls are closed off. If there are any open just let them know and they can block them off with some insulation wool.
    • Have some of the paint from the outside of your house handy and they'll colour the filler used to bung up the holes again.

The drilling is LOUD!..so dont plan on having anyone sleeping in that morning :)

Its a job well worth doing, and we have noticed a huge difference in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Did you try EcoWarm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Bif

Did you try EcoWarm?

I hope to get a quote from them this week. Have you any experience of their work? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I personally have never used them but a colleague of mine has and can only say good things about them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

sheehys in duagh done mine,great job too.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Ecowarm did mine, great job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

We used Southern Insulation this autumn (thank God with the weather we've had!), they did a great job.

http://www.southerninsulation.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭molard

gaf1983 wrote: »
      We used Southern Insulation this autumn (thank God with the weather we've had!), they did a great job.

http://www.southerninsulation.ie/
      a friend of mine got them.her opinion of them so far is very negitive. only come for a few hours and left. pity really because i and others are getting quotes from firms.may not bother with them now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 526 ✭✭✭yogalady

Southern insulation did mine summer 2009. Did excellent job. Made huge difference. Left house spotless. Was very happy with them. Got grant they helped me sort it out. Would definitly recommend them.

Tried ecowarm lots of times and they always said someone ring me back and no one ever did so went with Southern insulation. I think they did great job. Punctual, clean and tidy and very helpful in terms of applying for the grant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Bif

Thanks to all for the information to date. All other comment welcome.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

SiS carry out work for Ecowarm when they are snowed under (ahem)...the lads that do the drilling and filling are into their cars, sound bunch...(like anything...coffee and chocolate biscuits are a must, do try and have some paint though and they will look after you)..the lads that do the attics and soft insulation are into doing the job correctly...cant complain..tidy as f*ck... What i do admire is the aftercare, we had a hitch on the grant application, but SiS looked after it for us.

I like companies that know what their business is and achieve the targets with minimum inconvenience.

Im curious about the -1 on SiS.....any background info on this?

btw...Ive no allegiance to any insulation company...just what Ive experienced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭Anthonyk2010

Was any of your houses dormers? Would like to know what they did in your house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Did you try EcoWarm?

stay away from them. they installed in a house near me. so what you're thinking??........

the house is timber frame and as such can't take cavity insulation.

Now he has holes drilled and them filled badly with non color matching plaster and all pointless. Worse still if he goes to sell or rent then he won't get a BER cert as wrong insulation type used for timber frame.

They scammed this house big time and ergo don't know what they're doing. I live in an estate of all timber frame house and get leafets every week from lots of companies offering cavity wall insualtion. None of our houses have cavity walls. I can name and shame them all but they are all big name compamies........ Would not buy from any of them as this type of behaviour shows they are all chancers and have no product knowlesge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mahongate

Ecowarm did my home in in Cork and did a really great job.. It's made a huge difference to my home. They were very efficient tidy and had great technical knowledge as well .

• Site Banned Posts: 4 wossie

I got a flyer in the door from SIS and they said in the flyer they would beat any like for like quotation by €100. And they did, they were €100 more than the other two quotations I got. I showed the quotations to the guy doing the survey. One of the other quotations (cheapest one) included fitting an insulated hood to the staira, not included with SIS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Used Eco warm only last week & had a good experience with them, one bedroom has a dormer style roof, they had to cut a hole in the ceiling in order to pump the insulation into that space, the only negative I would have to say is that they don't make good the ceiling hole afterwards, you have to do that yourself otherwise they were grand.

As regards leaflets being dropped into timber framed homes, the companies themselves may not be physically doing it and the average guy / gal wouldn't be able to tell the construction type of the home from the outside anyway.

I'd be surprised if any SEAI registered firm did not check the construction type of any house first before giving a quote and if they made a cock up as suggested I hope the home owner got some legal advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

Sorry to kinda hijack thread, but I'm wondering is it possible to insulate a timber frame house, well I mean improve insulation in the walls, after it's built obviously.

Advertisement