Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Full Length Amateur Drama Festival Circuit 2011

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 a plum

Poteen - no worries at all and I assure you no offence taken

Vinny-Chase - Two quotes of yours in the last few posts

"At the end of the day, bad acting is bad acting and that's just a fact, not an opinion."
    And then
    "There's no accounting for some adjudicator's taste is all I can say."

So which is it? A matter of fact or taste? Or does it move to suit your argument depending on which adjudicator agrees with you or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

If you've followed my posts in this thread you will see that I have mentioned in my own experience that there is no accounting for adjudicator's taste as they are merely what floats the boat of one person. As I said I was involved in a show that won 7 of 8 and the All Ireland. And in another that won 6 of 8 and placed no where. So awards picked up on the circuit count for nothing when it comes to the final decision of the final adjudicator.
    So again, I hold on to my opinion that there is no accounting for adjudicator's tastes.

Secondly, bad acting is bad acting, that is a fact which cannot be denied.

So both of my statements are true. And it's not which ever suits. I have been very clear in all posts I have put it. How you choose to interpret them, is up to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 observe

Some interesting statistics - Since 1993, five winners at Athlone were ranked 4th in the league tables, one winning play was ranked 3rd, one winning play was ranked 8th (The Price, Estuary) and two Winners were ranked 1st - these being A Normal Heart and The History Boys by Silken Thomas.
    The league table gives a clue to where people are at, but in Athlone it's back to the beginning so to speak. Some groups fall under the pressure, some soar; sometimes the underdog rises to the occassion, but folks a little sense here - all the groups there are winners, just enjoy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 cavalcaders

I honestly think the first night is the worst night!!!.....There are 8 groups to come in after you and you are there to be knocked.
    The second worst night is the last night, although it could end up being a smash and grab job.

Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday would be the best for me!!!!

God I missed the heated battle.......I gotta feel a bit sorry for poteen!!!....Think he has got a bit of a raw deal. He is entitled to his/her opinion. I haven't seen prosperous but if he didn't like some of the acting than so be it. The drama circuit can be a cruel game both on and off the stage. You have to be able to take criticism on the chin. It certainly wasn't meant in a malevolent way. Relax people!!!!.....and I dont buy into the fact that just because someone gets nominated means they are a good actor, they may have had no competition. i know in some festivals there are only 3 open groups, so its very easy to get nominated!!!!

The best actor award will be mega this yr with some great roles: the president in Prosperous, Lead actor in Whistle in the Dark and Lead actor in Silken thomas, the two Priest in Doubt and Joe Kellar in All My Sons......im sure there are others!!!!

If you put your self out on stage you have to be able to take criticism. If you express your opinion on a public forum you have to be prepared for disagreement and questioning of the validity of that opinion and your credentials to express it publicly. Can't have one set of rules for those on stage and another for those behind the keyboards

• Advertisement

Of course you have different rules...it's the internet! The home of people hiding behind user names. However, I have given my experience and it's my opinion, which I am entitled to. Especially as I have put myself in the same position, have trained as an actor and I know what makes for good acting and what does not. Irregardless of my experience, it is still my opinion which I have expressed not maliciously or bitching and moaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Yeah, i think final night would suit some shows and be a hinderance to others. Those stats are interesting, kinda show that you can win from anywhere really!!

Also agree with above sentiments, anyobody reaching Athlone has done a great job and clearly has presented a show of a decent standard.

As for pressure on actors etc, I think we should remember that most of us are amateurs giving up our free time, with little or no formal training in either acting or technical work so i think the standard of theatre produced is exceptional. It would also be boring if everybody was amazing, its human nature that some some actors are stronger than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 giggs2

I AGREE, MIDWEEK WOULD BE GOOD NIGHTS. I KNOW CORN MILL WON ON FINAL NIGHT IN 2005 I THINK WITH STOLEN CHILD. ACTORS SHOULD NOT BE ANY MORE SENSITIVE ABOUT CRITICISM THAN SET , SOUND ,LIGHTING OR DIRECTION, WHO ALL GET CRITICAL COMMENTS FROM ADJUDICATORS. I STILL THINK THIS YEAR IS WIDE OPEN- BUT PROSPEROUS ARE STILL MY BET.I WAS SURPRISED AT NEWRY RESULT ON SAT. KILMEEN COULD DO IT BUT PROSPEROUS HAS NEWER PLAY. MOST OF FRONT RUNNERS HAVE BEATEN AND BEEN BEATEN BY EACH OTHER DURING CIRCUIT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Renton16

poteen wrote: »
    reluctant to give it to comedy in athlone. For me, the Silken show is just not strong enough in the female acting department. There isnt enough balance. I also sense a mood that people are moving against Silken now. This always happens if your successful. Very Similar to The Man Utd haters. If your on top, people want you to fall and so people are looking to pick holes in Silkens production. I feel that no matter what the result this year, they need to move away from copy cat productions of west end and broadway shows. Its no secret that their History Boys, Equus and now Angels shows are very copy cat in certain ways. They dont need to do this. They should trust themselves to take on a play from scratch with their own style.

Now now Mr. Poteen, since a member of Prosperous drama grup got in on the act, I feel and know I must to the same...

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but down right slander is what you are throwing about here...

1. History Boys: Not a copy dude. If you have seen West End production you would have noticed that the set was on a sliding tracking system bolted to stage floor. We use flat on wheels and our own production was not at all, like the west end one.

2. Equus: The set was very similar, i agree, but this is the 21st century and doing the production the way Mr. Shaffer wants is just too dated, so we stuck with West End set, and we didn'y have Danny Radcliffe either.

3. Angels: Don't know where you got this from but i'll throw it at ya anyway. The professional production on broadway was completely different to our production at present, it just didn't work for them. When you have a revolve you mght as well use it, and when you finally take your head outta the sand, maybe give us a bit of credit for what we are doing at present.

Our motto is work hard, play harder... I'm sorry if you take offence but I am sick to death of people saying, "Oh they're sponsored by Ryanair" or "Oh they couldn't possibly be able to throw out a production like The History Boys" without copying it!"

It is wrong to personally comment on an actor's performane but it is just getting ridiculous to the rumours that are being "bandied around about Silken Thomas". Leave us to do what we love, creativity . . . .

Renton16 wrote: »
    poteen wrote: »
    reluctant to give it to comedy in athlone. For me, the Silken show is just not strong enough in the female acting department. There isnt enough balance. I also sense a mood that people are moving against Silken now. This always happens if your successful. Very Similar to The Man Utd haters. If your on top, people want you to fall and so people are looking to pick holes in Silkens production. I feel that no matter what the result this year, they need to move away from copy cat productions of west end and broadway shows. Its no secret that their History Boys, Equus and now Angels shows are very copy cat in certain ways. They dont need to do this. They should trust themselves to take on a play from scratch with their own style.

Now now Mr. Poteen, since a member of Prosperous drama grup got in on the act, I feel and know I must to the same...

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but down right slander is what you are throwing about here...

1. History Boys: Not a copy dude. If you have seen West End production you would have noticed that the set was on a sliding tracking system bolted to stage floor. We use flat on wheels and our own production was not at all, like the west end one.

2. Equus: The set was very similar, i agree, but this is the 21st century and doing the production the way Mr. Shaffer wants is just too dated, so we stuck with West End set, and we didn'y have Danny Radcliffe either.

3. Angels: Don't know where you got this from but i'll throw it at ya anyway. The professional production on broadway was completely different to our production at present, it just didn't work for them. When you have a revolve you mght as well use it, and when you finally take your head outta the sand, maybe give us a bit of credit for what we are doing at present.

Our motto is work hard, play harder... I'm sorry if you take offence but I am sick to death of people saying, "Oh they're sponsored by Ryanair" or "Oh they couldn't possibly be able to throw out a production like The History Boys" without copying it!"

It is wrong to personally comment on an actor's performane but it is just getting ridiculous to the rumours that are being "bandied around about Silken Thomas". Leave us to do what we love, creativity . . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

This whole thread is gone a bit sour and one that I am about to stop contributing to.

I think that some of the things discussed on this board that people have taken exception to are the same things been said in the theatre's across the country during the circuit (like it or not). Maybe they should have been left there and not mentioned on this forum. I have tried to delete some of my comments on the thread but the administrator has blocked the option. I like amateur drama for the friends I make and because I love it. I am involved close to 15 years with shows that have gone to Athlone or have fallen before it!

Having read all the posts and reviewing my own opinion, Im beginning to think more and more that the RTE trophy will go to us down here in Munster. Fermoy, Kilmeen or Ballyduff. All three are positioned nicely in the table and all three plays have the quality of writing & production to win (my opinion).

Best of Luck to all groups in the finals and lets hope for a great week & the right result.

No chance poteen - it's coming back to Kildare! Either bradan prosperous or the silken Thomas will take you munster boys out! Come on the lillies!

Nice sentiments poteen, think most of us are in for the social side and the enjoyment, I know I wouldn't carry on this madness if I didn't love it! There are always exceptions but that's true of anything. Here's to another great Leinster/ Munster battle..I predict the blues to take the crown!

Poteen I would advise u to stay on the forum, its always nice to talk drama.

I think some people have over reacted, I hadn't realized forums had to be censored these days .

People would want to grow up!!!.....Everyone should be entitled to their opinion and everyone should be entitled to a response and the line should be drawn then!!!

Im from the west and I would have to say that in my opinion its between bduff and kilmeen......(but i haven't seen prosperous so maybe them too)

Its very difficult to win back to back all irelands because to win an all ireland you need alot of luck as well as been talented i.e night u get, groups that are involved, type of adjudicator.

Thats why i dont think silken thomas will win.............and I did not like the Bradan piece.

The only group who were ever unstoppable were eniscorthy in their prime....now that was a superb drama group!!!!

"Everyone should be entitled to their opinion and everyone should be entitled to a response and the line should be drawn then!!!"

I agree with you Cavalcaders and I fail to see where in this thread that hasn't occurred - opinions were expressed and directed at groups and those groups responded passionately (it is drama after all) - so I'm not sure why you are calling on people to grow up.
    There is always a right of reply surely. People getting all antsy just because others had the 'cheek' to respond - that's childish

Poteen I would advise u to stay on the forum, its always nice to talk drama.

I think some people have over reacted, I hadn't realized forums had to be censored these days .

People would want to grow up!!!.....Everyone should be entitled to their opinion and everyone should be entitled to a response and the line should be drawn then!!!

+1

I'm sure it's all tongue-in-cheek but this provincial cheering is a little too 'All Ireland Talent Show'... Hopefully, we will be happy for the winner in Athlone, regardless of where they come from!

Ha ha of course, observe, Would be delighted to see a cork group take the title, but we'd never hear the end of it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Renton16

It hasn't gone sour Poteen, but you can't expect to make comments like that and get away with it. Yes we are all entitled to our opinions and it may be what is said around the theatres but just like you are entitled to your opinion, a group is also entitled to defend itself.. which I am doing.

Its the age old saying ... When your up, people will take you down.

As for the All Ireland, tis all about the luck. Nine groups, one winner. Any of the nine could and have a strong chance of winning. Munster vs Leinster vs Ulster ...

observe wrote: »
    I'm sure it's all tongue-in-cheek but this provincial cheering is a little too 'All Ireland Talent Show'... Hopefully, we will be happy for the winner in Athlone, regardless of where they come from!

Couldn't agree more!!!!!

I didn't think i was being antsy.......I just wonder if an adjudicator said he/she didnt like your acting would you respond the same way you did in this.

We only are on this to talk, express our feelings, there is no need to rush to anyones defense because if i don't like someone my mind is made up, the amount of nominations or awards a person receives wont change my mind and i don't think anyone should be offended by that.

I got lambasted one night both on and off the stage and i was gutted but you begin to realise that people are entitled to think what they think as long as you believe you are getting the most out of your character you cant do much more than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭jorg

Personally, I would have no problem with adjudicators comments or feedback from audience members – be it good or bad.

My only issue here is commenting on clearly identifiable individuals in a public forum where the contributors have the benefit of anonymity. How different is that to standing up in the Dean Crowe bar after a play and announcing to the assembled crowd that such and such an actor was weak – painfully honest, yes but rather insensitive.
    observe wrote: »

After all the discussion in recent days, a bit of light hearted banter can do no harm ...... although, there must be something in the Kildare water!!!

Good luck to all and heres looking forward to a great celebration in Athlone.

jorg wrote: »
    Personally, I would have no problem with adjudicators comments or feedback from audience members – be it good or bad.

My only issue here is commenting on clearly identifiable individuals in a public forum where the contributors have the benefit of anonymity. How different is that to standing up in the Dean Crowe bar after a play and announcing to the assembled crowd that such and such an actor was weak – painfully honest, yes but rather insensitive.

After all the discussion in recent days, a bit of light hearted banter can do no harm ...... although, there must be something in the Kildare water!!!

Good luck to all and heres looking forward to a great celebration in Athlone.

Fair point Jorg, Fair point!!!!..............

Of all the plays that are in athlone which are your favourite guys? and i mean in terms of script!

Of all the plays that are in athlone which are your favourite guys? and i mean in terms of script![/QUOTE]

Angels in America -epic theatre at its best.
    A Whistle in the Dark - savage, cruel and shocking.
    Doubt: A Parable - really well constructed, leaves you well, with doubts!

Good Question

1) Angels in America - A work of supreme theatrical genius. Breathtaking in it's accomplishment - your mind bursts with imagery and your heart with emotion while reading it. I think this is the main issue with the play in performance - NO-ONE can EVER surpass the script - so very few people will take it on - not sure if that makes sense - but the best you can hope to do with Angels is do it some form of justice - which by the way I feel Silken have done and therefore would urge as many as possible to go see it - it will stay with you.
    2) All my Sons. A close second - this play soars in many parts but especially at the climax. Not quite in the league of Salesman or Crucible - but an unbelievable achievement for a man still in his twenties
    3)A View from the Bridge - I am a big Miller fan and this is a great play with a wonderfully complex central character and situation
    4) Beauty Queen of Leenane - I know some people are tired of it - But if you ever read this script without ever seeing a performance of it - trust me it would blow you off your seat. (Ditto The Pillowman)
    5) Whistle in the Dark - A great play that has dated remarkably well in reading. But I MUCH prefer the Gigli Concert - and thats why I would rank it here
    6)Doubt - I know it's a very well made play, a very clever play, not a word wasted etc. It just lacks something for me emotionally - apart from the wonderful scene with the boys mother and the nun (The best scene in the play i think) Most of the acting here has to be done 'off the line' or the play doesnt quite work. It's really about what's not being said most of the time - sometimes this can be captured wonderfully - sometimes the play is done completely 'on the nose' and it drags.

I havent read Tom and Viv - but I am looking forward to seeing this play
    And I think November is BRILLIANT!

calm everybody. its only a hobby. people have a right to give opinions and anyone with a bit of cop will treat them as what they are -opinions. we listen to adjudicators and take on board some of what they say and ignore the rest- the same philosophy should pertain to this discussion as well. re enniscorty- i remember they were going for three in a row in 1998 i think and were beaten. same could happen silkenthomas this year. leinster and munster think it is between them this year- we shall see. the west could be coming up unobtrusively on the inside-shades of "98.

giggs2 wrote: »
    calm everybody. its only a hobby. people have a right to give opinions and anyone with a bit of cop will treat them as what they are -opinions. we listen to adjudicators and take on board some of what they say and ignore the rest- the same philosophy should pertain to this discussion as well. re enniscorty- i remember they were going for three in a row in 1998 i think and were beaten. same could happen silkenthomas this year. leinster and munster think it is between them this year- we shall see. the west could be coming up unobtrusively on the inside-shades of "98.

Its funny because the play that didn't win the 3 in a row was.....yes you guessed it Cavalcaders!!!!!......for me it was the best amateur production I have ever seen....hence the name!!!!!......They won the following year again then i think with the cripple

who won in 98

Cornmill. With another Billy Roche - Belfry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 loguey8

Hi all,

I for one have just had my first experience of the festival circut and to me it means the following...

1. Doing the best you can at all times

2. Mucking in, doing what you can for the show and the cast and most importantly the audience

3. Experiencing every minute of it as if it is your last because lets face it who knows where you mght be tomorrow...

4. listening to the adjudicators comments, ALL OF THEM, no matter how it makes me feel, that doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things. I need to listen and use it to make it better...

I have had the absolute pleasure if participating on this circut with Bradan Players. This group is quite simply amazing, and I am talking here about the open welcome that I received and the friendships that I have made. Thai group, as I am sure all the others, play hard and rehearse even harder. That's what this game is about, is it not? Enjoying yor art and being dedicated and thorough about it.

To everyone travelling to Athlone, let's have a song and a drink, let's critique fairly and praise freely. Come say hello to me at the bar I will be the girl with her arms in the air.

Joanne Logue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Any word on how the Wexford finals are going? What's standing out so far etc?

Advertisement