Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chraged for collection

Options
  • 17-12-2010 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭

Im buying a laptop as an xmas present and saw a good one online from an electronics retailer in Dublin. Was asked if i wanted delivery or collection and when i clicked collection they added an exta euro onto the total. it was 8 euro for the delivery. I know a euro isnt a lot but how can they justify charging for an item that costs 300 euro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

As its such a small amount I'm guessing it has to do with the software the online shop is using. The option collection must have a figure/amount attached to it for it to process.

Or else it is a bit mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The cost is the cost, and they can charge you anything they like. Most places that offer collection services put a charge on it; Elara and Komplett to name but two. It costs money to run a collection point, public liability insurance, lighting, etc. €1 is cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

jor el wrote: »
    The cost is the cost, and they can charge you anything they like. Most places that offer collection services put a charge on it; Elara and Komplett to name but two. It costs money to run a collection point, public liability insurance, lighting, etc. €1 is cheap.

Kompletts collection is actually free (at the moment). Elara is €1 plus vat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

neris wrote: »
    Im buying a laptop as an xmas present and saw a good one online from an electronics retailer in Dublin. Was asked if i wanted delivery or collection and when i clicked collection they added an exta euro onto the total. it was 8 euro for the delivery. I know a euro isnt a lot but how can they justify charging for an item that costs 300 euro

You paid it didn't you?
    People need to realise that a business is a business, they will try get as much money from you as possible. In the end the customer sets the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

If they quoted €301 for the laptop with 'free' collection would you be happier?

Very few business do anything for free (not in the true sense of the word), in reality the costs involved are included so that they aren't obvious to the customer.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

It may be a case that they order the stock from someone else.
    They then incur charges themselves for holding it for you.

Advertisement