Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox vs Ps3

• 17-12-2010 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    Im looking to buy a console i think...
    Im not a gamer but one of the guys in the house has Call of Duty Ps3, and its becoming a big deal that i cant beat the other guys.
    So i want a console that will just play this game.

Which would you Guys recommend?
    Ps3 vs Xbox 360? Another mate has xbox360- call of duty and he beats us all, so they much be pretty similiar
    Can i get a similar game with similiar control for the Pc? Original xbox?
    Thanks for the help Guys
    John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭cycocycle

Dr Nic wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    Im looking to buy a console i think...
    Im not a gamer but one of the guys in the house has Call of Duty Ps3, and its becoming a big deal that i cant beat the other guys.
    So i want a console that will just play this game.

Which would you Guys recommend?
    Ps3 vs Xbox 360? Another mate has xbox360- call of duty and he beats us all, so they much be pretty similiar
    Can i get a similar game with similiar control for the Pc? Original xbox?
    Thanks for the help Guys
    John

I think you will find XBOX v PS threads are frowned upon in either the PS or XBOX forums as they get the peasants all riled up!:) I think there might be an issue of bias. :rolleyes:

(XBOX FTW!):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Ok - apologies!
    I think i might just get it for the PC
    All i wanna do is beat the ****e out of the lads in Call of duty in January...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Couldn't you just practice on your flatmate's one, or is it locked away in their bedroom?:confused:
    I'd just buy a 360 seeing as there's already a PS3 in the house

PC control schemes are totally different to console ones... If you try playing CoD online on the PC with a controller you will get absolutely ****ing annihilated!
    Then again if you did manage to get good at it that way, you'd be able to beat anybody you played on a console!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I think a debate on which console is best is pointless but maybe a debate on which console is best for Dr Nic might be helpful.

I have own an xbox so if any info I post about the ps3 is incorrect can someone let me know. Since you are not a gamer the ps3 might be best for you, you might find it's multimedia capability better.
    1. You might have use for a blu ray player.
    2. If you want to play video formats from common video codecs on your tv(divx, mp4 etc..) you can do so with out the hassel of going online and updating. Ps3 will support this out of the box but xbox needs and update.

Also if you want to practice call of duty online you can connect to your wifi and just start playing for free. With an xbox you will need to buy a wifi adaptor and then pay a monthly subscription to xbox live. If you are good at the game on one console you will have no problem on the other. Would probably just take a few minutes to get used to the other controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭strife

Iv got both and i prefer xbox not sure why people always ask why and i never know what to say i think its the control pad lol
    But anyway both are good but xbox for hand comfort lol

• Advertisement

The Ps3 is gone for the xmas :(
    Is there any controller scheme for CoD on the PC that is similiar to the 360/Ps3?
    Are there any games for the original Xbox that are similiar?

A friend played last week and he spanked 2 of us having never played CoD before. He said it was very similiar to Goldeneye on Ps2 i think? Would that make sense at all?

I dont mind buying a proper Ps3 but i just know i'd only play it when the lads are around and then we'd have 2 of them in the house...

finally, on black ops we like to play multiplayer 4 players per screen. This was great in Modern warfare where you could have radars on and locate the others in big maps. We cant get radars on in black ops making it very hard to find each other.
    Can you put this on in black ops?

Thanks Guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I have an irrational hatred for PCs and all things Microsoft and have always bought Playstation 1/2 & 3.

COD MW2 & Blackops are definately better supported on the Xbox. Blops is broken on the PS3 in comparison to the Xbox although it looks like they have gone someway to fixing it. If you are only getting these games then Xbox. What consoles do most of your firends have?
    There's a rumour the standard of gameplay is lower on the PS but I wouldn't know having never played on th'others :D

The 2 guys i live with have a Ps3 and xbox360 respectively. Both claim their own is better, but not by much...

So PC isnt a runner? Or original xbox?
    I have a samsung n110 laptop with 2 gigs of ram, 1.6Ghz dual core processor. Would this be fast enough.

OH i forgot, the controller for PC arent the same as for Xbox/ps3 so it wouldnt be worth my while anyway, would it?

OH i forgot, the controller for PC arent the same as for Xbox/ps3 so it wouldnt be worth my while anyway, would it?

You can get both the ps3 and xbox controller to work on pc but as said already the game plays very differently on PC so it would not be good practice for playing your friends on console.

Feck it, i'll just buy the Ps3 id say...
    Thanks Guys...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I have an irrational hatred for PCs and all things Microsoft and have always bought Playstation 1/2 & 3.

you poor bastard :) you've no idea what you're missing out on ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    you poor bastard :) you've no idea what you're missing out on ;)

No, I know. I used to have a desktop for gaming and when it worked it was fine but I'm very much technologically retarded and the whole updating drivers, interfacing with steam, praying the machine could run the latest games etc just wore me down. I just want to put disc in box and off ya go. :)

I've nothing against the PC/Xbox just happened the PS1 was my first real gaming console and Sony hasn't let me down.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭mlindsay215

I have both and normally play hardcore CTF. However the xbox verision has next to no hackers due to treyarch having a zero tolerance however PS3 is rife also xbox standard of gameplay is much higher. When I play on the xbox its rare I will lose with the clan but it happens. On PS3 however I will wadw through the opposition as most on the PS3 camp. Xbox is more goal orientated. My advice? Go xbox, microsoft care about the money they recieve from subs and so will try harder to make their customers happy. Sony for PS3 dont give a sh1t.

I got the ps3 in the end. all in it seems like a better deal. 379 incl extra controller, black ops for 320 gig in harveys...

Thanks guys...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I got the ps3 in the end. all in it seems like a better deal. 379 incl extra controller, black ops for 320 gig in harveys...

Thanks guys...

379 euro????????????????:eek::eek::eek::eek:

new xbox 250gb slim with kinect isnt that expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

garv123 wrote: »

That's exactly what I have at home. However, bought a PS3 just so I could play Heavy Rain. :rolleyes: I haven't used it since to play a game - too hooked on my gamerscore on the xbox! :o

garv123 wrote: »

Add in recharger packs for controllers, wifi adaptor for xbox, sub to xbox live, no blu ray player,smaller hardrive,also does the slim have a hdmi port?
    If you factor all this in maybe the xbox is slightly better value but there is not much in it. Again I speak as an xbox owner so I would like to think my opinion is not biased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

tuxy wrote: »
    Add in recharger packs for controllers, wifi adaptor for xbox, sub to xbox live, no blu ray player,smaller hardrive,also does the slim have a hdmi port?
    If you factor all this in maybe the xbox is slightly better value but there is not much in it. Again I speak as an xbox owner so I would like to think my opinion is not biased.

Wireless N wifi adapter is built in to all xbox slim models ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

. However the xbox verision has next to no hackers .

I loled at that

Thanks guys...

I think you should have done your home work with regards to black-ops on the ps3 , see cod forum , i have both consoles and b-ops on both and the amount of freezes and frame rate drop i get on the ps3 makes it unplayable.Also black-ops is known to destroy the blu-ray drive on your ps3 .Xbox version is much smoother .
    As for online psn is free xbox live you can get it for 30+ euro but its well worth it.

Shammy wrote: »
    I loled at that

Your reasoning behind this is.......?
    Clearly you have not played the PS3 enough to realise the extent of hacking in comparison to the xbox.

If you could provide evidence of clear hacks you witness in a 24 hour period that you come across than willfully find, you would see the numbers I provide from the PS3 would triple, maybe quadtruple that of the xbox

Microsoft has banned OVER 31k in less than a month for hacking glitching an modding its at an all time low for any COD game
    . Meanwhile SONY has banned less than 8k and as a result everygame I go to on the PS3 has two or three 15th prestiges all modded via .gpd.

Statistically there are more hackers on xbox as a result of more players. But sony has nearly double the hackers per player than the xbox.

Your 'lol' is worth a FAIL sir.
    I shall source this info later when I am at a computer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

However the xbox verision has next to no hackers
    Statistically there are more hackers on xbox as a result of more players.

Make up your mind eh .... ;)

I'm not here to argue , if your talking about hacking for prestige and finding glitches in the game then thats not what i'm talking about.
    I'm not going to name a certain program which is rife with american users on xbox. Thankfully its rare on this side of the pond.I have a few americans on my f/l some of whom have given up on this game over people using this program. Which is why i loled at your post saying xbox has next to no hackers , because its untrue , i made no reference to the hackers on ps3 .

Shammy wrote: »
    Make up your mind eh .... ;)

I'm not here to argue , if your talking about hacking for prestige and finding glitches in the game then thats not what i'm talking about.
    I'm not going to name a certain program which is rife with american users on xbox. Thankfully its rare on this side of the pond.I have a few americans on my f/l some of whom have given up on this game over people using this program. Which is why i loled at your post saying xbox has next to no hackers , because its untrue , i made no reference to the hackers on ps3 .

Ignorance is bliss. I figured my second post would straighten my contradictry post out or you would have the intellect to form the conclusion on your own. Apparently not. Xbox has next to no hackers in comparison to the PS3. My entire post was based on comparisons . Yet you have said your 'friends' hacks. 'Friends' I assume you will play with on a regular basis. My point is, you will obviously see more hacks than the majority. However its nothing in the way of the PS3.

That hack you're refering to is easily noticable on theater. I've seen it myself and its not hard to overcome.

If its that hack......

One more thing you realise you're in breach of the ToS by not reporting hackers/modders/glitchers the ending resulting in a permaban.

No?

Guess you are now.

Advertisement