Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin advice

Options
  • 17-12-2010 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

getting a garmin for christmas- could someone please tell me what the most basic model is? dont need anything fancy, just something to track mileage, calories etc..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    Hi guys

getting a garmin for christmas- could someone please tell me what the most basic model is? dont need anything fancy, just something to track mileage, calories etc..

I've got the Forerunner 110, no heart rate monitor but all of the essentials - €150.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

that sounds about right mrslow, cheers

dont really need a heart rate monitor really...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Agree with mrslow, go for the forerunner 110.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

I ordered the 110 from Amazon on Monday and it arrived yesterday. Gonna try her out tomorrow - it seems perfect for me anyway. I have the empty box wrapped up under the christmas tree because I couldn't wait for Santa!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

However....

You might find the 110 a bit limiting in the future, and regret not getting one with a few fancy features. Have a look a the features of the 305 before you decide.

Also, dont trust the calories burned figure, its not accurate.

My 305 uses the standard figure of 100 calories per mile run, that is only an approximation and is based on someone who weights 70kg. If you weight less, the figure it quotes will be be higher than reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

Amazon look to have a good discount on the 305 at the moment - £107.50 for the watch & HRM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

opus wrote: »
    Amazon look to have a good discount on the 305 at the moment - £107.50 for the watch & HRM.

-Looks like a good deal. Can this be also used on a bike? If so is it just another sensor required?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

LaHaine wrote: »
    -Looks like a good deal. Can this be also used on a bike? If so is it just another sensor required?

You can use it on a bike, and you won't require any additional sensors. However, if you want it to record and display cadence, you will need the cadence sensor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

You can use it on a bike, and you won't require any additional sensors. However, if you want it to record and display cadence, you will need the cadence sensor.

Thanks Krusty, another quick question if you dont mind? Would it be worth the extra money getting the 405? Looking for versatility. Cycling and running

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭carlaboi

I have the 110 and couldnt fault it. I wear it as my normal wrist watch now during the day as well.

• Advertisement

LaHaine wrote: »
    Thanks Krusty, another quick question if you dont mind? Would it be worth the extra money getting the 405? Looking for versatility. Cycling and running
    Hi LaHaine, they're both have their strengths and weaknesses. Generally the only advantages of the 405 over the 305 are it's size (the 405 being distinctly smaller) and wireless data transfer (which I don't feel is all that useful anyway).

On the other hand, the 305 has longer battery life, can display four data fields simultaneously, supports bread-crumb trails (not all that useful) and is slightly cheaper. So if you feel you can live with the bulkier size/weight of the 305, then it's probably a better purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

When I got into running I got the F60, as at the time just wanted the basic features.

But after a couple of months as I got into running more and more I found myself wanting the more advanced features, and I got myself a 405, and I really like it.

I have a really scrawny wrist, so i dont think the 305 is a runner (pardon the pun!)- i think i'mgoing to have to go in and try on the 405 before ordering online. For me it'll come down to size and comfort in the end.

I have a really scrawny wrist, so i dont think the 305 is a runner (pardon the pun!)- i think i'mgoing to have to go in and try on the 405 before ordering online. For me it'll come down to size and comfort in the end.
    Why not try a 110 first? Smaller than the 405.

Well, as huskerdo rightly pointed out, if i did buy the 110 i might regret not having the heart rate monitor at a later date.. i'm going to go and try them all on tomorrow and decide then. the 305 is definitely not an option- my pal has one, i tried hers on today- it's way way way too big for my lil wrist.

what are the other options, outside of garmin? are there any? also, where is the best stockist? will probably purchase online, but would like to go and look at them all in the flesh first.. tks:)

The 110 supports the exact same HRM as the other watches. Only the 205 doesn't (and you've already ruled that one out for being too big). The 110 doesn't support advanced features like intervals though.

Most of the good run shops will have a good selection (though not the new models just yet). Also worth mentioning: there is a replacement 'soft' strap available for the 405. It's more flexible and should allow for a cosier fit.

To answer your remaining question, the most-useful non-Garmin alternatives are:
    1. Timex Ironman GPS - which is approximately the same size as the 205/305
    2. Smart phone (e.g. iPhone/Android) - with Activity tracking software (e.g. RunKeeper)
    3. Pedometer-based watches that don't do GPS tracking, instead using mechanical pendulum systems to estimate distance traveled. Not very accurate.
    4. Use a website like mapmyrun, and an ordinary stop-watch

Ah i see, i thought mrslow said at the beginning of the thread that the 110 didnt have a HRM at all, he probably just meant that his didnt.. if it's HRM compatible then it's definitely got everything i need. Thanks Krusty.

Heading into town now to buy my new toy.. dont think i can wait for a TINTERNET delivery, heading for my first 2011 run later on. A bit nervous as it's weeks since i've been out. Am aiming for a slow 10km, seriously doubt i'd be fit for much more than that, but that'll soon change as 2011 unfolds!

Ah i see, i thought mrslow said at the beginning of the thread that the 110 didnt have a HRM at all, he probably just meant that his didnt.. if it's HRM compatible then it's definitely got everything i need. Thanks Krusty.

Heading into town now to buy my new toy.. dont think i can wait for a TINTERNET delivery, heading for my first 2011 run later on. A bit nervous as it's weeks since i've been out. Am aiming for a slow 10km, seriously doubt i'd be fit for much more than that, but that'll soon change as 2011 unfolds!
    Yeah, that's right. you can buy it with or without the HRM, and can just pick up a HRM separately afterwards if you want (around €45).

You could hold off and buy a Forerunner 210 (when it becomes available over here). It'll be smaller factor (like the 110) but also support more advanced features, like intervals. Unfortunately it won't be out for a while and will probably be mor expensive than most of the other watches (at least for a while anyway).
    Good luck and happy running!

Intervals would be handy, no doubt, but i dont think i can wait- i am planning a lot of running in january! In the words of Veruca Salt, I WANT IT NOW!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hi all;

I have a garmin 405 but it seems to be a bit off on the mileage lately, is there any way to reset it?

Also is there any way to have the watch record your mile by mile time instead of total time for the run?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Also is there any way to have the watch record your mile by mile time instead of total time for the run?

Set it to Auto-Lap and you'll get mile, or km, splits displayed as you run.

Hi all;

I have a garmin 405 but it seems to be a bit off on the mileage lately, is there any way to reset it?

Hi average_runner, it would be very unusual for something like a GPS device to be consistently inaccurate. You're more likely to have an electronic failure, where it just refuses to turn on. Do you have a Garmin Connect activity we can take a look at (post a link).

You can do a hard reset on the watch, but I'm not sure that it will serve any purpose, other than erasing all your data and settings. If you're sure you want to perform a hard reset:
    1) Press and Hold down BOTH the Start/Stop and Lap/Reset Buttons (these are the two silver buttons on the right hand side)
    2) Keep these two buttons pressed in for 6 seconds and the screen will go blank
    3) Release the Start/Stop button (the top one) and continue to hold the Lap/Reset button for 3 additional seconds, then Release it
    4) Select ?YES? (Enter Button) to the prompt asking to clear user data
    5) This will erase ALL data and then guide you through all of the introductory menus once again

I will have another run this week and see if its off or not, just gave me a very long mile for part of the run.

The 205 was way off the mileage for me, thats why i bought the 405!!

robinph wrote: »
    Set it to Auto-Lap and you'll get mile, or km, splits displayed as you run.

Where is auto lapped on it.

I went through training and settings and no luck.

Thanks

Where is auto lapped on it.

I went through training and settings and no luck.

Thanks
    Training > Options > Auto-lap > By Distance.

Advertisement