Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a GIANT favour from any regular poster

Options
  • 17-12-2010 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Myself and gf flying out from the airport tomorrow at 11.40 a.m as a surprise weekend away for her for Christmas.

Very nervous about the weather at the airport (and in London Gatwick) so...

Was wondering if someone could do me a MASSIVE favour and send me a pm or post here if it starts snowing where ye are; the closer you are to the airport the better. But anywhere in North County Dublin would do.

I've put a lot of effort into organising this and if it doesn't happen, I'll be gutted. At least if it starts to snow up there, we can make plans to go up there tonight or something.

Thanks,

K.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I live in Swords, it's fine here at the moment, not a sign of snow. Will post if that changes :)

Keep an eye on the Current Severe Weather thread as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

No snow yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Thanks guys.

Yeah Stheno, have been keeping an eye on that and weather reports by practically every relevant agency in Ireland and the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

I will prob be up well into the night so will keep you informed either here or via e-mail if you want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

If i was in your shoes i'd be travelling up tonight and booking in here for the night http://www.travelodge.co.uk/search_and_book/rooms_rates.php?hotel_id=227&from=map
    €54 for the night and 5 mins from the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

another pair of eyes for ya. also listening to the ATC on a scanner so if there's any word, I'll let you know.

hitman79 wrote: »
    If i was in your shoes i'd be travelling up tonight and booking in here for the night http://www.travelodge.co.uk/search_and_book/rooms_rates.php?hotel_id=227&from=map
    €54 for the night and 5 mins from the airport.

Not the worst idea in the world. Still nice and sunny here anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

kraggy wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Myself and gf flying out from the airport tomorrow at 11.40 a.m as a surprise weekend away for her for Christmas.

Very nervous about the weather at the airport (and in London Gatwick) so...

Was wondering if someone could do me a MASSIVE favour and send me a pm or post here if it starts snowing where ye are; the closer you are to the airport the better. But anywhere in North County Dublin would do.

I've put a lot of effort into organising this and if it doesn't happen, I'll be gutted. At least if it starts to snow up there, we can make plans to go up there tonight or something.

Thanks,

K.

Ahhhh...good one.

Romantic Ireland's dead and gone, 'tis with O'Leary in the grave...NOT.:D

Best of luck. I hope the weather will be ok for you, and remember you have motorway almost all the way from the West.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

check out this

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

gies you the latest weather at dublin airport.

its suppose to snow here before the morning.

Head over to the weather forum. those guys especially MT Cranium are excellent. and there is a detailed forecast there too

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69604861&postcount=1852

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Listening to news reports I would head up tonight. The N.6 ? was down to 1 lane each way between Athlone and Ballinasloe.

Hope you get away ok and have a nice break. Dont forget the flowers:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Op you'll need to keep a close eye out ref. Gatwick, I was just reading the news and Easyjet have cancelled flights there tomorrow from 6-10am

http://www.gatwickairport.com/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I've had an IP camera facing out my window for the last week monitoring the snow. I'm living less than 10 km from Dublin Airport so this might be of some use to you.

http://dereenigne.org/snowcam

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Just after snowing quite heavily in Swords, light snow now.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭get_d_hand_in

Snowing in louth and meath... only a matter of time till it makes dublin. Its light enough and the main roads are grand...

The Muppet wrote: »
    Just after snowing quite heavily in Swords, light snow now.

Yup, just looked out, nice coating on the cars and pavement :rolleyes:

Doesn't look like airport shutdown levels yet tho?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Light snow here, just past the airport, near Finglas. It's been coming down for a while, but no major effect on the roads yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

About 20 miles North of the Airport here and it started belting it down. The heavy snow has been progressing Southward all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I'm about 5 miles from the airport and we've only had a light dusting so far.

Kiera wrote: »
    I'm about 5 miles from the airport and we've only had a light dusting so far.

Same here, am the opposite side of Swords from the airport, but nothing major here.

A couple of mms has fallen so far up in Balbriggan. not airport closing depths yet but its early.....

• Advertisement

Nothing further from my last post in Swords, the bf went out to the chipper and the road was fine :)

Completely OT, but I think a thread like this is really indicative of what a nice forum this is, I've always found it to be very welcoming, helpful and friendly, but this thread really illustrates that :)

we are a lovely bunch indeed.

Snowed in Balbriggan, so far very light.

I am an exceptionally nervous flyer... vomit for days before the flight then take a few more than recommended Valium the morning of the flight.... you'll be fine OP, remember, the pilots are human beings with lives and families and a fear of death too.

Ok realised you may be more concerned about getting to the airport and not afraid of flying in the snow!! Still leaving that in there in case I'm wrong!

Am away to bed soon but no further snow in Swords since earlier postings :)

Good luck OP, hope you get to have a fantastic weekend, let us know how you get on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Very light fluttering of snow here in Rush - roads are fine.

You'll probably be OK if you're in a front wheel drive and the NRA are prioritising main routes. I had a nightmare journey out of Donegal this afternoon in my anti-snow RWD BMW but I still made it in 5 hours. (1.5 hours to get the 14 miles from Letterkenny to Lifford).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Gatwick_Airport Gatwick Airport LGW
    BA flight update: BA has cancelled all domestic and European flights from Gatwick between 10.00 and 17.00 today. http://ow.ly/3re0W
    Weather and travel update - 08.30
    Gatwick's runway remains open, however it is snowing and we are expecting snow to continue for much of today (Saturday 18 December).
    Due to weather disruption easyJet has cancelled flights from 0600-1000 today and British Airways has cancelled all domestic and European flights between 10.00 and 17.00.
    There are also delays and cancellations across Europe, with airports including Amsterdam, Geneva, Munich and Copenhagen among those disrupted.
    Our advice to passengers is to check with their airline before setting out for the airport.
    Follow us on Twitter for the latest information.

http://www.gatwickairport.com/
    http://twitter.com/#!/gatwick_airport

lots and lots of snow on the forecast for Gatwick too

not looking good I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Roads still all clear around lusk. A very light dusting of snow, but nothing more than a mild frost really.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

According to Aertel Departures the 11:40 to LGW is still scheduled. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Just drove past the airport. Nothing to report. Traffic moving well. Road conditions normal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Best of luck OP, hope you make it :)

Advertisement