Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GlorifyiShocking Poster around town glorifying Drug use

Options
  • 17-12-2010 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

Saw this on the Galway News and It has me upset. When so called talented people have to resort to glorifying cocaine snorting with posters showing somene snorting the "devils dandruff" :eek: off peoples heads to sell seats in the town hall theatre especially after the recent death of Gerry Ryan there is something seriously wrong. I think this sends out the wrong signal to tourists and younger Galweigans that drug use is cool.

I thought the town hall theatre was getting funded by the local council and national lottery to promote the Arts and Culture in Galway and not promoting the drugs culture.

I suppose Cocaine must be the "IN" thing at the moment especially as it looks like the Rubberbandits will get the number one spot with there vile song.

I suppose the next show in the town hall will be about Heroin, Ecstasy or maybe even Buckfast....:rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

Get in Touch and Talk to Joe...
    Call 1850 715 815 :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

If it was a poster showing two people drinking, with an inviting tagline, there'd be no outrage.
    Do we still have freedom of expression in this country..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Have you seen the play?

It's about someone who has gone to Rehab and is trying to stay clean. That doesn't sound like it glorifies drug use. Just because it's a comedy doesn't mean its underlying message is making fun of drug abuse and the problems associated with it.

Perhaps the poster should have had a bit more thought put into but you can't claim the play glorifies drug abuse if you haven't seen it.

Also - that Rubberbandits song has only one mention of coke (which is taken out for the radio version).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

It would be a sorry day if theatre, music and art did *not* comment on the darker aspects of our society. It is how they comment that is fair game for criticism. Advertising (for anything) is a different ball game, we all know that sensationalism sells papers, tickets, songs. Just by posting this, you have likely done a bit of free advertising for the company.
    Have you *heard* the Joe Duffy interview about Rubberbandits' song btw?
    Majority of intelligent comments came from a character - Blind Boy.

Art being controversial and stirring debate.

Whatever next.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭LawnMower Man

Do you know how many schools are within half a mile of the town hall theatre? Young adults in secondary school are at a very impressionable age and I dont think this type of promotion shoud be sending out the message that Drugs are Fun!

Down with this type of thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT9xuXQjxMM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

mmm just seen your last post and a bit of trolling is suspected!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mollie Breathna

This whole thing is spurious including the four letters from "concerned citizens" in today's City Tribune.
    Total scam to sell tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

Acidflash wrote: »
    Get in Touch and Talk to Joe...
    Call 1850 715 815 :rolleyes:
    Disgraceful Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

This whole thing is spurious including the four letters from "concerned citizens" in today's City Tribune.
    Total scam to sell tickets.

Didn't see them, you reckon it's the producers sending in the complaints?:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Saw this on the Galway News and It has me upset. When so called talented people have to resort to glorifying cocaine snorting with posters showing somene snorting the "devils dandruff" :eek: off peoples heads to sell seats in the town hall theatre especially after the recent death of Gerry Ryan there is something seriously wrong. I think this sends out the wrong signal to tourists and younger Galweigans that drug use is cool.

I thought the town hall theatre was getting funded by the local council and national lottery to promote the Arts and Culture in Galway and not promoting the drugs culture.

I suppose Cocaine must be the "IN" thing at the moment especially as it looks like the Rubberbandits will get the number one spot with there vile song.

I suppose the next show in the town hall will be about Heroin, Ecstasy or maybe even Buckfast....:rolleyes:

You don't happen to be in the show Lawnmowerman? You trying to stir some interest to shift some tickets there?????;)

Definitely the posters with cocaine snorting etc is a ploy to sell more tickets...
    I had a look at the town hall website for the show and strangely enough I do know one of the individuals from many years ago, his nickname is Monty and he used to run Vagabonds nightclub out salthill, I used to go in there often for a few extra pints when the pubs closed. Hes a decent enough sort from what I remember, still though I think a Nativity play would be much better this time of the year where the only snow is the type falling from the sky and not the sort you snort.

Greaney wrote: »
    You trying to stir some interest to shift some tickets there?????;)
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

:rolleyes:

AnonoBoy wrote: »

Also - that Rubberbandits song has only one mention of coke (which is taken out for the radio version).

and you would hardly say that comparing someone who has done coke to a horse is glorifying its use, its doing the opposite if anything.

Promoting Class A Drugs near Schools via posters (Even if its for a Comedy Show) or by Pop stars who have a largely teenage audience in my view is wrong.

There is nothing comical about it when someone dies taking this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Depicting does not equal glorifying, or promoting

People accused 'Trainspotting' of glorifying heroin use, a movie that showed someone so desperate for drugs they dug around and sh*t filled toilet, p*ssing and sh*tting in buckets and another man dying of AIDS after being infected by cat sh*t in his hovel of a flat. Glorifying, indeed.

Anyway I'm not sure that Lawnmower Man isn't shilling for the production here, it's a bit too convenient providing links to the play etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I dont think this type of promotion shoud be sending out the message that Drugs are Fun!
    No bodies sending out that message it's just that drugs are fun.
    Definitely the posters with cocaine snorting etc is a ploy to sell more tickets...
    It's called advertising.
    Promoting Class A Drugs near Schools via posters (Even if its for a Comedy Show) or by Pop stars who have a largely teenage audience in my view is wrong.
    The shows got nothing to do with promoting drug use, quiet the opposite from what I can gather.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

If you have to explain satire to someone, you might as well give up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

snubbleste wrote: »
    Do we still have freedom of expression in this country..?

Does Hannah Montana do bong hits of salvia?

Fuck yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

I saw the poster in the paper and I had to do a double-take. I wasn't sure at first if I was seeing things, but it does actually show someone taking cocaine! Or something that I imagine looks very like cocaine....I'd imagine the producers couldn't afford the real stuff if they're cheap enough to use a poster like that.

But's that's not all...some are missing the point here.

Firstly, I agree with the OP, I think it's in poor taste. But there's more to it than just the cocaine thing. Not only is one of the characters having drugs snorted off his head, but it looks like the poor lad is being choked and threatened with a baton at the same time. And one of the other guys has a dodgy looking cigarette in his mouth.

I think the timing is awful, with Gerry Ryan and all that. But in general I think I'd have issues with the poster even without Mr.Ryans demise. As the OP mantioned, the poster is up in plain view of young people, and even if the content of the play is satirical, that doesn't come across just by looking at the poster.

I'd have thought that the THT would have been more sensitive, but hey, you live and learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

especially after the recent death of Gerry Ryan there is something seriously wrong.
    People die of addiction every day of the week. Many of them vulnerable people who were born into or fell into poverty, leaving them with extremely unenviable choices.

IF the poster was offensive, it would have been no more or less offensive a year ago than now.

If you knew him personally, I'm sorry for you loss. If not, GTFO.

Removing depictions of drug use from the glare of the public eye doesn't make the problem go away.

Anyway I'm not sure that Lawnmower Man isn't shilling for the production here, it's a bit too convenient providing links to the play etc.

Haven't seen mock-shock like this since the late Cllr Bridie O'Flaherty called for the nude play to be banned from Leisureland and the subsequent sell-out of tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I think this sends out the wrong signal to tourists and younger Galweigans that drug use is cool.

In fairness I don't think the youth of Galway would be influenced by a poster at the town hall. It's not exactly deemed the hot spot of Galway. Tourists would see that it's to do with a play and think how open minded we all are...crazy Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Nothing wrong with a bit of cocaine use

If you knew him personally, I'm sorry for you loss. If not, GTFO.

I used to listen to Gerry every morning like alot of people and even though I didnt know him personally, I felt I did after 20 years listening to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

ciotog wrote: »
    Disgraceful Joe.

Sure. Sure. Sure. Sure. Sure. Sure. Sure. Sure. Go on. Go on. Go on. Go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

There is nothing comical about it when someone dies taking this stuff.

If the guy was drinking a pint would you find that offensive? Alcohol is a far more damaging drug than cocaine (recent studies have proven this) and i think you are just very misinformed. Kids would not be influenced by a poster outside the town house theatre which they have zero interest in. They might however be infleunced seeing their favourite soccer player being photographed on the front of a magazine steaming drunk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

Anyone got a link to the poster?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement