Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom by month instead of long contract

Options
  • 17-12-2010 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Is there an option to pay by month without having a fixed term contract? I will be moving out of my house in 2 or 3 months and I don't want to pay a costly disconnection fee.

There is a pre-existing connection and there is a router here already so all Eircom needs to do is activate the line on their end and accept my money.

Surely Eircom provide some kind of option for people like me...?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

nathan184 wrote: »
    Is there an option to pay by month without having a fixed term contract? I will be moving out of my house in 2 or 3 months and I don't want to pay a costly disconnection fee.

There is a pre-existing connection and there is a router here already so all Eircom needs to do is activate the line on their end and accept my money.

Surely Eircom provide some kind of option for people like me...?

Hi nathan184

I can see your point but am afraid that within the telecomminications industry in most cases contracts are standard. These contracts are in place to cover installation and services on line and equipment.
    Sorry
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭nathan184

I understand that big companies are somewhat inflexible at times. You can't afford to be dealing with customers on a case by case basis.

*rant begins*
    The disconnection fee is half of the remaining payments in the term of the contract. This is huge.

With some other providers, the disconnection fee is fixed at a reasonable price (about €50 for UPC as far as I can remember). This puts very little pressure on the person and encourages more people to sign up. I'm just trying to make a friendly suggestion so that Eircom can be competitive.

I'll be surviving on mobile broadband until UPC arrives in my area in a month or so because I feel that Eircom's fees (monthly and disconnection) are ridiculous.
    *end of rant*
    I know you're just doing your job Tony and I don't expect you to get policies changed because of someone posting on a forum but I just needed to rant a bit there.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

OP in eircoms defense its not as simple as flicking a switch to provision a line for dsl, it requires physical engineering work at your local exchange as well as setting up authentication profiles on eircoms network.

In addition it costs every ISP to both provision a line for dsl and to cease it, ISPs recoup this cost over the lifetime of the contract.

Providing dsl with a contract is very much the norm within the telecoms industry tjis applys to Ireland and even tge UK where most contracts are 18 months, infact youll also see that contracts apply to bill pay "mobile broadband" and cable (UPC).

If you want something short term then get payg mobile broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Hi nathan184

I understand and that is what we are here on Boards for. Disconection fees are a very contentious issue and can appear to limit choice. Basically they are a standard business practice and I have to thank Cabaal for covering the operational reasons for the charges ( covered it better than I did ).
    Thanks for your post though and your reply.
    Tony

Advertisement