Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kevin myers: People died to feed gerry ryans habit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭tommylimerick

i find it hard to condemn gerry ryan
    i was never much of a fan but when you
    really look around the world from food supply
    to energy supply to the banks and goverment
    there is just corruption pollution greed and the rest of them
    no-one is perfect rip gerry ryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

I hate Myers, that paper and all he stands for, but he's spot on about this.
    Gerry Ryan was no better than the Dundons or any of their type, and to make it worse, he was a hypocrite. Slagged off junkies nearly every day on that show of his, and now the truth is out.
    He was no better than them, much as he liked to pretend otherwise.
    People in glass houses and all that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

AnneFrank wrote: »
    thats a fair point,but do you agree with the sentiment ?

What was the sentiment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Gerry Ryan was no better than the Dundons or any of their type,

So by the same logic, anyone who has ever bought illegal drugs, or something 'off the back of a truck' has blood on their hands??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

WindSock wrote: »
    What was the sentiment?

The original point he's trying to make,you said you didnt like the way he makes his point which i agree with you on,it's rather like Dunphys shock style,but the point itself is very valid that by Gerry doing these drugs he was supporting the drug dealers therefore causing death in the long run,he was then being a total hypocrite talking down to people on his radio show giving out about junkies who unlike himself probably have no education or a home to go to

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

tommyhaas wrote: »
    So by the same logic, anyone who has ever bought illegal drugs, or something 'off the back of a truck' has blood on their hands??

Drugs yes thats a worldwide view,If no one bought illegal drugs there would be no dealers,no drug crimes or killings,simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

AnneFrank wrote: »
    The original point he's trying to make,you said you didnt like the way he makes his point which i agree with you on,it's rather like Dunphys shock style,but the point itself is very valid that by Gerry doing these drugs he was supporting the drug dealers therefore causing death in the long run,he was then being a total hypocrite talking down to people on his radio show giving out about junkies who unlike himself probably have no education or a home to go to

Yeah of course that makes Gerry a hypocrite to a degree. But I don't think a consumer of drugs is as responsible for the deaths of the kids on the streets as the people killing them (points already made in thread regarding only one way to obtain illegal substances, there is no other way than to fund criminality).
    Taking drugs doesn't make a person a scumbag. I don't know how Gerry addressed drug addicts, I never listened to him. But if he spoke of other drug addicts as if they are scumbags then that is scumbaggish, as is Myers in how he delivers his articles. There are more credible ways in which a journalist can make a point.

Edit: Yeah I suppose I do in a way. Reluctantly :mad:

Yes, of course.
    I'm not exactly sure what your point is.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The other thing the article mentions is rtes silence on the matter. I dont beleive his lifestyle could have possbly been a hugge secret amongst rte!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

and he didn't once address Ryan's hypocracy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Yes, of course.
    I'm not exactly sure what your point is.

My point was that I dont believe that the logic behind that argument is sound. Im not disagreeing that without a demand there would be no supply or any of the related killings, however I think your making too much of a leep in laying the blame for killings at the door of users

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

I wonder would Kevin Myers give an oath that he's never knowingly used an illegal substance. I've read a good deal of Mr. Myers' articles and judging by some the weird analogies he draws I wouldn't be surprised if he indulges in the odd Morrocan Woodbine.

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

WindSock wrote: »
    But I don't think a consumer of drugs is as responsible for the deaths of the kids on the streets as the people killing them (points already made in thread regarding only one way to obtain illegal substances, there is no other way than to fund criminality).

A point often overlooked is that people who gather wild mushrooms or grow cannabis for their own use are not funding criminal gangs.

My point was that I dont believe that the logic behind that argument is sound. Im not disagreeing that without a demand there would be no supply or any of the related killings, however I think your making too much of a leep in laying the blame for killings at the door of users

If nobody bought drugs, drug dealers would be out of business, yes?
    Therefore, drug consumers are directly feeding dealers lifestyles.
    Without dealers, there would be no killings (drug-related, anyway.)

I know people who buy drugs aren't part of the gangs slaughtering people, but they are supporting them indirectly by buying drugs from them. They're partly to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Drugs are fun, untill they stop being fun people are not going to stop doing them. There is no point in dealing with drugs through prohibition, people may disagree with other people that take them, but there not going to stop people from taking them. All the people who keep going on about how all drug users are murderers would be suprised about how many hard working, decent people like to do drugs for fun. They have huge drawbacks and are obviously not good for you. But people already know that, and it aint gonna stop there use. So instead of sending all that money to Columbia and Mexico, why not put it into the coffers of the goverment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Fair play to Kevin Myers for telling it for what it is. To many people want to hide how Jerry Ryan died. RTE should cancel any progams the have scheduled over the christmas in his memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Thank God Kevin Myers does not have a daily radio show. Three hours of his smug sh*t stirring might just kill me.

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    Drugs are fun, untill they stop being fun people are not going to stop doing them. There is no point in dealing with drugs through prohibition, people may disagree with other people that take them, but there not going to stop people from taking them. All the people who keep going on about how all drug users are murderers would be suprised about how many hard working, decent people like to do drugs for fun. They have huge drawbacks and are obviously not good for you. But people already know that, and it aint gonna stop there use. So instead of sending all that money to Columbia and Mexico, why not put it into the coffers of the goverment.

I agree drugs should be legal (with some restrictions), and I know many drug users are nice people. But you can't argue that they aren't directly supporting thugs who do kill. That's why I believe they have blood on their hands - indirectly, but it's still there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

He hit the nail on the head and sure wasn't the only one to notice this when he said in that article

but RTE is already abandoning those other people who are not yet victims, but by God who will soon be if they follow the Ryan path.

This is not a once-off issue: that much was plain when Eamon Dunphy was introduced on 'Prime Time' recently as a voice of moral authority. This is the fine fellow who once complained about how difficult it was to get good cocaine in Dublin, and who managed to rack up nine driving and drink-driving charges before he was put off the road.

Now everybody knowing about your coke indulgence / pre celtic tiger days is one thing , but then being on the Prime Time panel as ' authority ' on the ills of the country , important as the may be , well Myres does have a point .

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I would love to see rtes response to this article.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I liked this bit.
    Had Gerry Ryan been a working class-boy from Drimnagh, he would have been called a "drug addict". He wasn't. He was a millionaire and so he just had a "coke habit".

Nail, hit with hammer, on head. We see this all the time with celebrities.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I would love to see rtes response to this article.

They issued a statement on the news earlier. It read;

"And in other news today, the columnist, Kevin Myers, criticised Gerry Ryan's drug habit in his newspaper, The Independent... and in England, a cat baby was born to a surprised monkey in London Zoo.

And now, over to you Eileen for the sports."

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/kevin-myers/kevin-myers-people-died-to-feed-ryan-his-drugs-he-knew-he-funded-those-deaths-2464618.html

Article by kevin myers laying into gerry ryan and equating him to the criminal element who supplied him drugs.

i never agree with myers but he's spot on here. upper class coke heads cant wash their hands of the llod thats spilled in the coke fuelled killings in working class estates. sure gerry himself agreed on air that doing a line in foxrock=pulling a trigger in finglas....he was a big fat greedy hypocrit.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

more or less,

Not sure how true it is but I've heard it said in the past that 90% of burglary / muggings in Dublin were caused by people coming from 2 postal districts and mostly to pay for drugs. In which case I and most of the people I know would most likely become victims of crime because of drugs. So I am not well disposed to those who enrich the drug lords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Latchy wrote: »
    Now everybody knowing about your coke indulgence / pre celtic tiger days is one thing , but then being on the Prime Time panel as ' authority ' on the ills of the country , important as the may be , well Myres does have a point .

If Eamon Dunphy has ever described himself as a moral authority on the ills of the country, then I'll...er...don't want to commit myself here...er...be very surprised.

He did say to Pat Kenny once - in the last sentence of an article for the Sunday Independent - "Now piss off you unctious little twerp, and don't ever take my name in vain again" but I think they've both got over that episode.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I would agree with that, the criminalisation of the drug is what causes the crimes and that would be the fault of the legislation. ---
    So following this logic then the real problem with drunk or drugged drivers is that the legislation has made it illegal for them to drive while intoxicated, not that drunk or drugged driving is dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

It's terrible the way people died to feed his coke addiction and he got off scot free (apart from the small matter of him dying). :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Kevin Myers would write anything if he thought it would get a reaction. Gutter journalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

If Eamon Dunphy has ever described himself as a moral authority on the ills of the country, then I'll
    He did say to Pat Kenny once - in the last sentence of an article for the Sunday Independent - "Now piss off you unctious little twerp, and don't ever take my name in vain again" but I think they've both got over that episode.

Eamon Dunphy didn't describe himself as a moral authority ,Kevin Myres used that discription in his article about his appearence on Prime Time . I watched the Prime Time debate with Eamon Dunphy and like the other people in the chair , he was making 'a few interesting points , something along the lines of Quote ED '' in 2007, some alarm bells were ringing on wall street about the irish economys and the spend, spend, spend culture '' ...before he had to be cut off .If you read the full Indo article he is only mentioned in the context of being somebody who has er...flirted with coke himself and who like Gerry Ryan , was (is) at times employed by RTE .So I gather Myres is comparing it to a question of '' should he be sitting in the seat giving the nation his views on how it was sold down the tube'' ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

When people say that drug users have blood on their hands, do those people think drug users actually give a toss?

Advertisement