Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kevin myers: People died to feed gerry ryans habit

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dacian

I hate Myers, that paper and all he stands for, but he's spot on about this.
    Gerry Ryan was no better than the Dundons or any of their type.......

...........People in glass houses and all that...

I agree with the last bit but wouldn't go so far as to equate him to the gangsters themselves...........perhaps his tirades against the 'scumbags' was a self flagellation for his own addiction/weakness?

We can only hope that the outcry over Gerrys death and/or the Myers article may actually make people notice the insidious influence of this trendy drug in our country.

What if some of the govt are using it? Bank managers? Property deveolpers? lets look at the people with the money to use this regularly....Why the lack of condemnation from any RTE friends of Gerry Ryan. I know of a radio presenter who has exchanged sexual favours in the past for her hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

The Fair Trade people are a bit slow here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Latchy wrote: »
    So I gather Myres is comparing it to a question of '' should he be sitting in the seat giving the nation his views on how it was sold down the tube'' ?

Sorry Latchy, there seems to be a misunderstanding here.

I've read the article, but I can't make sense of Myres on this point. He seems to think that RTE are abandoning Dunphy in some way, or maybe he thinks they are hypocritical for having him talk about the economy when he has a history of cocaine use.

Here's the quote, for anyone who's interested:
    The man is dead. He is not being abandoned if the world is told in detail about the criminal calamity that drugs had made of his life -- but RTE is already abandoning those other people who are not yet victims, but by God who will soon be if they follow the Ryan path.

This is not a once-off issue: that much was plain when Eamon Dunphy was introduced on 'Prime Time' recently as a voice of moral authority. This is the fine fellow who once complained about how difficult it was to get good cocaine in Dublin, and who managed to rack up nine driving and drink-driving charges before he was put off the road.

Genuine question - what's he - or you - on about here? Do you think that because someone has a history of cocaine use (which we know about) that they should be disqualified from political commentating?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

In fairness to Myers, he's an example/ beacon for those who think as utter twats, they'll never get into journalism, he does blaze the trail.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

ArtSmart wrote: »
    In fairness to Myers, he's an example/ beacon for those who think as utter twats, they'll never get into journalism, he does blaze the trail.
    Yes, if a career in pr fails they can follow his example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Dacian wrote: »
    What if some of the govt are using it? Bank managers? Property deveolpers? lets look at the people with the money to use this regularly....Why the lack of condemnation from any RTE friends of Gerry Ryan. I know of a radio presenter who has exchanged sexual favours in the past for her hit.

Thing is we could all go down that road couldn't we ?

ie ,

I know of a well known international Irish singer who was more interested in watching a recording of himself on tv than the female associate who was rushed in a few minutes earlier and overdosing next door ( probably on coke ) in a hospital casuality dept .

I also remember at a charity benifit concert walking into a room on two well know Irish rock stars , snorting the snow but hey ...it's rock n roll , that's their buisness and the behaviour of celebs ? ... out of the scene is pretty fcuking boring ....right ?

What it comes down to is ( the publics ) buisness regards privacy , not just for the celeb but for you and me ..

**** you win the lotto tomorrow and the press , depending on a slow news day somebody might ( might) find somebody , who for a £000 sum will dump all over you, regardless of weather it's got a grain of truth or not ,it's the insinuation of it , to feed the gossip pages ...you today me tomorrow , it's the culture we live in (in which by definition , becoming famous or a celeb for all the wrong reasons makes many of us recoil in horror )

I dislike the sneak /kiss and tell as much as the next person and in terms of somebody overdosing and dying from drug abuse , it's tragic to the family , friends and associates, regardless of weather you are from Foxrock , Drimagh ...werever .

Johro wrote: »
    The Fair Trade people are a bit slow here.

Above for some reason reminds me of the quote '' If your not part of the solution your part of the problem '' .

'and who managed to rack up nine driving and drink-driving charges before he was put off the road.'
    Crap... I drive all the time... :eek:

Maybe Myers should've put that argument to Gerry while he was still alive.
    I'd have more respect for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

May I say Myers looks like a pig and writes like a prig. I don't mean that abusively. Just an observation.

EDIT: It has been pointed out to me that Mr Myers's appearance is of no relevance to his journalism. I apologise for pointing out his resemblance to a barnyard animal. The insult to his writing stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

May I say Myers looks like a pig and writes like a prig. I don't mean that abusively. Just an observation.
    he he. i'd hate to see you abusive...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Just what has that journalist's looks got to do with anything exactly?

You're in trouble when the feminists see that post I can tell you.

They hate to see someone being critisied for their looks for little or no reason.

I'm sure I have that right.

OutlawPete wrote: »

They hate to see someone being critisied for their looks for little or no reason.

You are dead right, Pete.

Long live the feminists!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 wharf_rat

got coke?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Kevin Myers is a bitter old man & a sad, lonely, f*cking troll.

Mostly because it rhymes.

Are you complaining as a 'feminist' or as a 'manist'? Cos I don't see why you would be speaking on the behalf of 'feminists' otherwise :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Sorry Latchy, there seems to be a misunderstanding here.

I've read the article, but I can't make sense of Myres on this point. He seems to think that RTE are abandoning Dunphy in some way, or maybe he thinks they are hypocritical for having him talk about the economy when he has a history of cocaine use.

Here's the quote, for anyone who's interested:

Actually no, I think he's aluding to two points .

One - what if (god forbid ) somebody else who is, high profile employee of RTE suddenly dies of a drug overdose by cocaine or some other substance and in the post analysis they discover he /she not only had a long history of indulgence but was also well known in many circles to have being ? the obious question will arise as to who knew , who was looking out for him /her and his Interests ?

The point of Eamon Dunphy being on prime time talking about the Irish Economy is only coincidental in the sense that yes , he might like the next man , have important views to share and his personell life is his own .I dont think the Prime Time people were to thinking to much about his previous flirtations with coke ( it's being well documented in the past but thousends of others are not having their lives discussed in the sunday papers every week ) ....unless your 'a celeb ' .

Genuine question - what's he - or you - on about here? Do you think that because someone has a history of cocaine use (which we know about) that they should be disqualified from political commentating?

No, like alcohol it might affect your judgement but in the cold light of day everybody has an opinion on anything regardless of their ...social drink/drug of choice .

I would have liked to hear more on Dunphys opinions on the state of the nation on that prime time show , if time had allowed and he is no different to anybody in that respect he may have lost out on the downturn to .

How much or how little he put up his nose is his own buisness

Latchy wrote: »
    No, like alcohol it might affect your judgement but in the cold light of day everybody has an opinion on anything regardless of their ...social drink/drug of choice .

I would have liked to hear more on Dunphys opinions on the state of the nation on that prime time show , if time had allowed and he is no different to anybody in that respect he may have lost out on the downturn to .

How much or how little he put up his nose is his own buisness

Seems to be a misunderstanding on my part. I agree with all of the above.

Are you complaining as a 'feminist' or as a 'manist'?

Well, I actually consider myself to be a feminist actually, but that's not why you called.
    Cos I don't see why you would be speaking on the behalf of 'feminists' otherwise :confused:

I'm not speaking "on behalf" of anyone.

I'm just pointing out that they don't appreciate it when people criticize another's physical appearance for no reason (and rightly so).

The man looking like a "pig" has nothing to do with what this article is about and quite irrelevant, surely.

Your name is Surely, right?

Well, I actually consider myself to be a feminist actually, but that's not why you called.

I'm not speaking "on behalf" of anyone.

I'm just pointing out that they don't appreciate it when people criticize another's physical appearance for no reason (and rightly so).

The man looking like a "pig" has nothing to do with what this article is about and irrelevant, surely.

Are comments about people's appearances against the charter? Cos you seem to be holding me to an awfully high standard.

Well, I actually consider myself to be a feminist

Go Pete!

Skip to 1.09. on the video...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Mostly because it rhymes.

Are you complaining as a 'feminist' or as a 'manist'? Cos I don't see why you would be speaking on the behalf of 'feminists' otherwise :confused:

Seriously, a pinch of salt is to be taken with olp's comments regarding gender/feminism. He'll pick up on one comment made by a female poster regardless of how throwaway it is, yet completely ignore the similar barrage of comments made by male comments to make some sort of obscure anti feminist point on how feminists are all hypocrites in the meanwhile ignoring the irony of his own points and drag you into a multi quote battle of doom that generally goes nowhere and serves little or no purpose only to expose his latent hatred of people who try to point out the obvious sexism that exposed is in Irish culture and turn it around to show that it is actually not women but white middle class men who are the most oppressed in the western world or something to that effect.

Baiting I guess it's called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭fitzeyboy.

famous cokehead dies after snorting a load of blow up his/her nose = national tragedy.
    Joe Bloggs dies after snorting a load of blow up his/her nose = scumbag lowlife dies from cocaine overdose.

yeah Ireland 2010 is a pefectly reasonable place

WindSock wrote: »
    He'll pick up on one comment made by a female poster regardless of how throwaway it is, yet completely ignore the similar barrage of comments made by male comments to make some sort of obscure anti feminist point on how feminists are all hypocrites in the meanwhile ignoring the irony of his own points and drag you into a multi quote battle of doom that generally goes nowhere and serves little or no purpose only to expose his latent hatred of people who try to point out the obvious sexism that exposed is in Irish culture and turn it around to show that it is actually not women but white middle class men who are the most oppressed in the western world or something to that effect.

Yeah, but he does it well.

Seriously, a pinch of salt is to be taken with olp's comments regarding gender/feminism. He'll pick up on one comment made by a female poster regardless of how throwaway it is, yet completely ignore the similar barrage of comments made by male comments to make some sort of obscure anti feminist point on how feminists are all hypocrites in the meanwhile ignoring the irony of his own points and drag you into a multi quote battle of doom that generally goes nowhere and serves little or no purpose only to expose his latent hatred of people who try to point out the obvious sexism that exposed is in Irish culture and turn it around to show that it is actually not women but white middle class men who are the most oppressed in the western world or something to that effect.

Thank you. I didn't see why I was singled out and the word feminism brought up for no good reason.

For the record, I apologise for allowing my negative opinion of Kevin Myers's character to colour my description of his appearance. There's a lot of apologising to be done around After Hours in that case!

Yeah, but he does it well.

Yeah but the rest of us don't seem to have as much time on our hands to bother going around in circles picking posts one word at a time arguing aribtrary points.
    If that's what works for some, great. I'd rather not invest such a long time arguing for arguments sake over the internet for such a long and laboured time.

For the record, I apologise for allowing my negative opinion of Kevin Myers's character to colour my description of his appearance. There's a lot of apologising to be done around After Hours in that case!

Well, Mary Harney is fat don't you know....

But hey, no one likes her anyway.

You shouldn't slag Kevin Myers off for his looks.

He's a handsome looking dude.. http://wirereasons.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/evil-pig.jpg

.. yet completely ignore the similar barrage of comments made by male comments ..

Horseshit.

I have cristised many men's comments on this forum when they have critised women based on just how they look, so get your facts straight.
    .. serves little or no purpose only to expose his latent hatred of people who try to point out the obvious sexism that exposed is in Irish culture ..

I am one of those people, so I hate myself do I?
    ..and turn it around to show that it is actually not women but white middle class men who are the most oppressed in the western world or something to that effect.

Yeah, well - as they saying goes, misery loves company but hates competition.

No actually, just drawing attention to the fact that if it was a female journalist that was said to look like a "pig" it would be critised.

See, it's okay for women to point this crap out, but when a guy does it, it's "baiting".

Sad that you can't see the double standard there, no surprise though.

• Advertisement

Horseshit.

I have cristised many men's comments on this forum when they have critised women based on just how they look, so get your facts straight.

I am one of those people, so I hate myself do I?

Yeah, well - as they saying goes, misery loves company but hates competition.

No actually, just drawing attention to the fact that if it was a female journalist that was said to look like a "pig" it would be critised.

See, it's okay for women to point this crap out, but when a guy does it, it's "baiting".

Sad that you can't see the double standard there, no surprise though.

Well, Pete, as you will see I have added an apology to my post, so these generalisations are unnecessary and you may continue to patrol After Hours for irrelevant insults to people's appearances.

Advertisement