Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€800 Gaming Build

Options
  • 17-12-2010 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭

Was hoping someone could help me. In the market for a new pc. I'd be using it for games and also general web/various software use.

Budget is about 800 euro - I'm gonna buy monitor and other bits separately, so they are not included in budget. I dont want to have to build it myself so will have to buy pre-built, or use a website that builds if for you, like HWVS.

Can anyone help me out ?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

I'll throw up a build later, suffice to say that €800 isn't exactly a "budget" rig! :p Post split from thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Solitaire wrote: »
    I'll throw up a build later, suffice to say that €800 isn't exactly a "budget" rig! :p Post split from thread.

Yeah - was considering making a second thread but didnt want to clog the forum. If its not necessary to spend 800, then I can spend less....but I would like to have a powerful machine!

Appreciate any help.

[edit]
    Also, which one of these monitors would you recommend ?

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/3613396/art/samsung/syncmaster-p2450h-24-wide.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-G2420HDBL-Widescreen-Back-Light-5million/dp/B002XNOJMC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=computers&qid=1292243995&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

I'd recommend going through the last few pages (say 5) on the
    Sticky: Guide - the Budget Gaming PC
    and get somewhat familiar with the components people list as builds, through other posters recommendations & a bit of web research.
    Worked for me anyway. :)

Found this in that thread:

73889519.jpg

Could just get this but double the harddrive size and maybe add more ram or a better graphics card ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dottsie

I'm building a pc too and I've the same budget as you tusky I want it for gaming, video editing, web design etc I found this but I'n not sure if all my components are compatible so any help would be appreciated!

My damn laptop wont let me do screenshots for some reason so I had to add them as attachments sorry.
    I want to keep it around 700 so it'll end up at around 800 inc delivery and os.
    I decided they're the components i need but just not sure if they work together. I'm not too fond of the case either.
    Any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Tusky wrote: »
    Found this in that thread:

73889519.jpg

Could just get this but double the harddrive size and maybe add more ram or a better graphics card ?

Maybe pick other ram other than OCZ; I'm not sure that that heatsink would be better than the "free" one.
    dottsie wrote: »
    I'm building a pc too and I've the same budget as you tusky I want it for gaming, video editing, web design etc I found this but I'n not sure if all my components are compatible so any help would be appreciated!
    My damn laptop wont let me do screenshots for some reason so I had to add them as attachments sorry.
    I want to keep it around 700 so it'll end up at around 800 inc delivery and os.
    I decided they're the components i need but just not sure if they work together. I'm not too fond of the case either.
    Any suggestions?
    • If you want to be gaming at HD resolutions, you'll want to allocate more of your budget towards a more powerful card - a 5570 isn't really enough.
    • Is that a wired LAN card? You don't need it.
    • You don't really need a sound card in general, although you might need it with that board since it has a via soundchip. Still, it might be money better spent if you did not buy the sound card and chose a different board.
    • That's a low power harddrive - energy saving, lower speeds - is that what you want?
    • Get a better PSU. Looks at superflower's amazon range for good value.
    • Are you aware that socket 1156 is to be succeeded next month?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dottsie

I'm just not good at this pc building stuff ha. i changed my build to an amd phenom 2 x4 965 black edition with a ASUS M4A79T Deluxe/U3S6 - motherboard.

I can only spend around 800/850 and i was using the pc configurator on the hardwareversand site to build it which only seems to give me 5000 series cards.I want it all built and sent out to me.I have built before but i'm not great at it so i'd just rather have it ready to use
    whats succeeding it?Oh and i just picked a xilence power 550w. i plan on ordering sometime next month so if you could give me a build based around the phenom2 x 965 I'd really appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

dottsie wrote: »
    I'm just not good at this pc building stuff ha. i changed my build to an amd phenom 2 x4 965 black edition with a ASUS M4A79T Deluxe/U3S6 - motherboard.

I can only spend around 800/850 and i was using the pc configurator on the hardwareversand site to build it which only seems to give me 5000 series cards.I want it all built and sent out to me.I have built before but i'm not great at it so i'd just rather have it ready to use
    whats succeeding it?Oh and i just picked a xilence power 550w. i plan on ordering sometime next month so if you could give me a build based around the phenom2 x 965 I'd really appreciate it!

easy there.. you can easily spec all the wrong stuff

don't buy the cheapest case, bad airflow

you don't need a soundcard, the onboard sound is more than enough

AMD 965? - big hot processor, honestly the i5 760 outperforms this processor and is well within an 800 euro budget

Ram + motherboard must be compatible

PSUs - get a quality one, Corsair or super flower 80+, the xilence are cheapy units generally

If you spec a PSU below 700 or so watts then hardwareversand won't let you spec a power hungry graphics card - stupid I know, you can buy the graphics card separately

Right now the ATI 6850 and 460GTX are great bang for buck and will run on a quality 550 watt PSU

Are you including the monitor in the price? if not then you can build a very nice machine for 850

Would someone who whos their stuff throw together a build around the 800 euro mark ? I dont want to do any of it myself because I'm afraid I'll **** up. Would be much appreciated.

Bump - Looking to order this over next couple of days. Would really appreciate if someone would throw together a build for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Gaw_

Bump - Looking to order this over next couple of days. Would really appreciate if someone would throw together a build for me.
    Would advise you wait until early January. Intel's new range of CPU's 'Sandy Bridge' is being released on January 9th, offering more value and performance for money.

Gaw_ wrote: »
    Would advise you wait until early January. Intel's new range of CPU's 'Sandy Bridge' is being released on January 9th, offering more value and performance for money.

Hmm - suppose I may as well wait another week or two. Will still need help with the build though!

Looking to order a pc next week. This is my last attempt to get someone to help me out with a build. Would really appreciate it!

Want to hook it up to a 5.1 surround sound system so decent sound card possibly required ?

What about something like this as I was recommending in another thread?
    I was aiming for €750 but with the extra money, you could get a nice heatsink and a better case. Mugen 2 perhaps?

Including delivery, but excluding case, that's €700.

attachment.php?attachmentid=147548&stc=1&d=1297439015

The board has a realtek ALC 892 soundchip. It should be fine for games/films with 5.1.

I dont want to have to build it myself so will have to buy pre-built, or use a website that builds if for you, like HWVS.
    Need a wifi card, decent soundcard (well one thats 5.1 compatible). Pc will be used for gaming and general web/video. Keyboard, Mouse, monitor, operating system, speakers etc, not necessary.

Some upgrades. Dunno if you like the case.

attachment.php?attachmentid=147566&stc=1&d=1297446236

Delivery & assembly = €50.
    Total = €800.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Monotype wrote: »
    What about something like this as I was recommending in another thread?
    I was aiming for €750 but with the extra money, you could get a nice heatsink and a better case. Mugen 2 perhaps?

Including delivery, but excluding case, that's €700.

attachment.php?attachmentid=147548&stc=1&d=1297439015

The board has a realtek ALC 892 soundchip. It should be fine for games/films with 5.1.

May I recommend and fractal r3 case
    And a nh-d14 cpu cooler to go with that build...

Im using both the case and cooler and found them both to be extreamly good..
    The case has provisions for 7 fans which you will need if your thinking of overclocking your cpu and gpu and the cooler is expensive but there is not much better on the market(air cooling that is)... its keeping my I5 760 clocked @4.2 to 62c @100% cpu usage on prime...

Also the case has sound dampening and the cooler is very quiet... take a look at you tube on some reveiws on the nh-d14 cooler...you will be impressed..

Cheers for the replies guys, much appreciated. Ive no idea about overclocking so probably wont be doing that. Is the cooler still necessary? If not, would the cooler replace the one in the other post or go alongside it ?

Also - if I wanted to spend an extra 100 euro to bring the total to 900/950, what should I upgrade?

Thanks for the help!

€100? I think the next best thing would be an SSD for your OS.

C300 64GB.

€100? I think the next best thing would be an SSD for your OS.

C300 64GB.

That would improve boot speed/general performance ? (not too knowledgeable on ssd benefits, but have done a bit of reading). No point upgrading graphics card or processor instead ?

The SSD will give you faster boot and a general snapier performance when using your OS. Basically, when you get into windows, your desktop is there instantly and you can have your web browser open in about a second.
    If you do game a lot, you could get the graphics card upgrade, although the 6870 is capable of handling most things at 1920x1080. The 6950 would be the next step up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

That would improve boot speed/general performance ? (not too knowledgeable on ssd benefits, but have done a bit of reading). No point upgrading graphics card or processor instead ?

Personally I'd recommend Core i5 2500, p67 board and GTX 560ti and cool the CPU with a corsair H50 water cooler.

You should easily be able to build a rig based on those components for around €900.

Plus, don't 'waste' the extra 100 now on an SSD. WHile yes, they can offer a bit more performance booting up etc. I find that booting up isn;t where I need the performance. Its a gaming rig, put the 100 towards gaming - the GFX card.

560Ti comes in around €230.

I'd put a build together for you, but I bloody hate that hardwareversand site.

Buit thats my 2c on the matter.

Oh, and 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR-3 1600Mhz ram is about €90~ around the net, so thats deffo the ram I'd go with. Unless you need the extra €50 for something (then go with 4GB).

I'd even offer to build it for you if it meant you could afford better components!

Hmm, decisions decisions! Appreciate the input.

Hmm, decisions decisions! Appreciate the input.

Hey Tusky,

Here it goes :)

147680.JPG

AS I said, you could drop to 4GB ram, which is still enough for gaming (you can always add more later on) which will drop the price by about €40 to fit in building & shipping.

I purposely did not incluide Windows, as I'm not sure whether you alread have a copy or not.

This build does have quality throughout, nothing really skimped on.

Good case, excellent PSU, good ram, excellent CPU & GPU and a solid motherboard.

I agree that the the 2500k is definitely the better system, but I wouldn't go near them until Intel have sorted out the problem with the P67 platform.

I agree that the the 2500k is definitely the better system, but I wouldn't go near them until Intel have sorted out the problem with the P67 platform.

Why? Just use the new, faster sata-600 ports, hence I even picked a sata-600 drive ;) (though an sata300 drive would work just fine)

Will have 0 issues.

But there's only two of them! That leaves no room for upgrade.

But there's only two of them! That leaves no room for upgrade.

There's the marvell also (another 2). Plus, if you like, you can always swap it for a new board when they're shipping again.

For the build there, I've chosen a 1TB HDD, and an SATA DVD RW drive (plug both into the Intel SATA 600 ports).

Tusky will not need another internal HDD for quite some time, even if he did, there's the 2 Marvell ports that can be used.

The marvell ones are at the back, so not much good for new internal drives. It seems a bit messy to be switching the board out later, especially if Tusky doesn't want to be doing the work but it's up to him/her.

Edit: BTW Tusky, I forgot to mention - you should look into homeplugs as opposed to wireless. Generally more reliable but also more expensive.

The marvell ones are at the back, so not much good for new internal drives. It seems a bit messy to be switching the board out later, especially if Tusky doesn't want to be doing the work but it's up to him/her.

Edit: BTW Tusky, I forgot to mention - you should look into homeplugs as opposed to wireless. Generally more reliable but also more expensive.

True, but for this build, it really doesn't matter.

Plus, if needed, the mobo could be swapped for an Asus P8P67 which does indeed have the marvell beside thew other internals.

You're really making a mountain out of a molehill here regarding the SATA issue.

With regard to switching out the board later - I'd rather that than build a below par machine with Sandy Bridge on the market.

In fact, if the issue was that much of a concern, I'd recommend NOT building now, and waiting for the new boards.

For his budget, there is no reason whatsoever to have to purchase slower, older, more outdated tech.

• Advertisement

Plus, if needed, the mobo could be swapped for an Asus P8P67 which does indeed have the marvell beside thew other internals.

You're really making a mountain out of a molehill here regarding the SATA issue.

Yeah, you're probably right, it's just that I would find it quite an annoying limitation myself. I still think that all the ports should have been 6Gbps.

One problem with the Asus board is that it doesn't have that cool black-grey look. :cool:

Advertisement