Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€800 Gaming Build

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Monotype wrote: »
    Yeah, you're probably right, it's just that I would find it quite an annoying limitation myself. I still think that all the ports should have been 6Gbps.

One problem with the Asus board is that it doesn't have that cool black-grey look. :cool:

That I definitely agree with. There is no reason to have the SATA 300 ports. None.

Seems very silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Well there's always the reason of, "Hey look we have new boards with all 6Gbps ports, you need to upgrade!", in six months time.

Monotype wrote: »
    Well there's always the reason of, "Hey look we have new boards with all 6Gbps ports, you need to upgrade!", in six months time.

Well, they're backwards compatible, so I don't know whether that would work!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I have an external 1TB Hd so dont see that being an issue. Most of what you guys were saying went right over my head though!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Basically we're saying that the new intel processors are the best for that kind of money.

However, Intel messed up in their design meaning that most of the hard drive ports are flawed. This would leave 2 good internal ones, 2 good external and 4 dodgy internal ones.
    You'd need one for a hard drive and one for a DVD drive, meaning the two on the inside are gone, so no room for more hard drives in the future.

Options if you think you'll be needing more internal drives in the future:
    As said, the Asus board has 4 internal good ones (haven't looked at the eSATA ports on the back with this board).
    You can exchange your board back when the replacements come.

• Advertisement

Ok, cool. Think I'm leaning towards the second build in that case. The lack of slots shouldnt be a problem.

Tusky wrote: »
    Ok, cool. Think I'm leaning towards the second build in that case. The lack of slots shouldnt be a problem.

You wont regret it. I've put together a couple of Sandy Bridge based machines now (none for myself yet though :( ) and they are very quick.

You wont regret it. I've put together a couple of Sandy Bridge based machines now (none for myself yet though :( ) and they are very quick.

savage. Wasn't there problems with sandy bridge? Being recalled or something.

Tusky wrote: »
    savage. Wasn't there problems with sandy bridge? Being recalled or something.

Thats what myself and Monotype were talking about.

It only affects the SATA 300 ports on the motherbaords, not the CPU's.

You can get around this by using the faster, newer SATA 600 ports though.

Its really no big deal, but Intel are recalling all their chipsets, and anyone who bought one can get it replaced.

You'll be using 1 x SATA Hard Drive, and 1 x SATA DVD RW drive.

You don't need any more!

Thats what myself and Monotype were talking about.

Jeez - I am slow on the uptake! I blame my hangover. Cheers!

• Advertisement

Ordered. Thanks for the help guys.

Advertisement