Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irishman (Scorsese, De Niro, Pesci and Pacino)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

I didn’t think I had to tack ‘in my opinion’ on to posts for people to know that it’s my... opinion but here we are. In my opinion, The Sopranos is a great show (different mediums but I put it on a par with Goodfellas) and Scorsese judging it based off watching only one episode as he claims makes me think less of him. He can not like the show. I can judge him for that.

I never rated what I saw of The Soprano's, just smacked of a poor mans Scorsese from the get go. I Dont think you have to watch every episode to surmise you dont like a series, I dont read every chapter of a book to reach such a decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I never rated what I saw of The Soprano's, just smacked of a poor mans Scorsese from the get go. Dont think you have to watch every episode to surmise you dont like a series I dont read every chapter of a book to reach such a decision.

One episode isn’t enough. Even calling it a poor man’s Scorsese suggests how little of it you’ve seen yourself. And Scorsese is hardly infallible. We’re nearly 30 years out from his masterpiece.

Anyhoo, I think less of Scorsese for not liking it. What would you like me to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,632 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Sopranos were good but not Scorsese good

One episode isn’t enough. Even calling it a poor man’s Scorsese suggests how little of it you’ve seen yourself. And Scorsese is hardly infallible. We’re nearly 30 years out from his masterpiece.

Anyhoo, I think less of Scorsese for not liking it. What would you like me to say?

Don’t want to go off topic but trust me sopranos is yellow pack bargain basement product compared to the likes of goodfellas

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

There's a thing on Netflix that I came across last night, with scorcese and the 3 boys Sat around discussing the film, can't think what it's called but was interesting and only 1/2 hr long, going by it i don't think we'll be seeing joe pesci acting again unfortunately

• Advertisement

Don’t want to go off topic but trust me sopranos is yellow pack bargain basement product compared to the likes of goodfellas

“Trust me?” :D The arrogance. I watched both with my own eyeballs numerous times.

I would put them on completely equal pegging. Both masterpieces but in different formats.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

There are a lot of tv shows (yes 1 episode), films or books I have only seen a bit of that I have decided I don't like. Thinking less of someone because of it is a bit snobbish

I never rated what I saw of The Soprano's, just smacked of a poor mans Scorsese from the get go. I Dont think you have to watch every episode to surmise you dont like a series, I dont read every chapter of a book to reach such a decision.

Agree with this. Some other posters Havnt a clue.

There are a lot of tv shows (yes 1 episode), films or books I have only seen a bit of that I have decided I don't like. Thinking less of someone because of it is a bit snobbish

Probably. I don’t really care if it makes me snobbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

Ah here! Don’t mock The Sopranos. Eh, bargain basement? It’s really not. Have you actually watched it?

I love Scorsese, but The Sopranos redefined TV drama. Many would argue we’re currently in the golden age of television. Bigger budgets, better scripts, movie stars going back to TV, new ways of telling stories. A lot of that is thanks to The Sopranos. We’d never have had Breaking Bad without The Sopranos.

Whatever you think about Scorsese, calling The Sopranos yellow pack is sacrilege You really should seek professional help. 😂

I enjoyed The Irishman. Loved Pesci and DeNiro. Not so keen on Pacino, but I’d rate him behind the other two in most things anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Probably. I don’t really care if it makes me snobbish.

Fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

ah here

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

No, mate, you are wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

this movie was like a rehash of every gangster movie made imo, the only thing that made people think it was great was the names, it was too long drawn out stuff we have seen before, very good acting but the story was very tiring many times i looked to see if it was over i wanted it to end about half way through, just wasnt very innovative, lacked freshness and perspective.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

chips1234 wrote: »
    the only thing that made people think it was great was the names

I can only speak from my own perspective, but the thing that made me think it was great is that it was actually great.

I can only speak from my own perspective, but the thing that made me think it was great is that it was actually great.

I suspect a few of the naysayers would have preferred more of an "Oi Oi" Guy Ritchie take.

I suspect a few of the naysayers would have preferred more of an "Oi Oi" Guy Ritchie take.

Well I didn’t love this film and personally I’ve never seen any Guy Ritchie film. I am but one person but what a strange link to make. Maybe people didn’t find this film great without comparing it to any other.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,766 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Fantastic movie really enjoyed it, I thought it was well paced,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    Ah here! Don’t mock The Sopranos. Eh, bargain basement? It’s really not. Have you actually watched it?

I love Scorsese, but The Sopranos redefined TV drama. Many would argue we’re currently in the golden age of television. Bigger budgets, better scripts, movie stars going back to TV, new ways of telling stories. A lot of that is thanks to The Sopranos. We’d never have had Breaking Bad without The Sopranos.

Whatever you think about Scorsese, calling The Sopranos yellow pack is sacrilege You really should seek professional help. 😂

I enjoyed The Irishman. Loved Pesci and DeNiro. Not so keen on Pacino, but I’d rate him behind the other two in most things anyway

We were in golden age of TV, but think it's in the past now unfortunately. Sopranos, breaking bad, class shows. Few more too but don't think much these days is comparable

We were in golden age of TV, but think it's in the past now unfortunately. Sopranos, breaking bad, class shows. Few more too but don't think much these days is comparable

I agree, I think we’re in the post-golden age. The last great show to end IMO was Mad Men and that’s over four years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I thoroughly enjoyed it. I see a lot of people drawing comparisons to Goodfellas and I can see why they do. It has the look and feel of Goodfellas right down to some of the music choices. One key difference is the lack of violence compared to other mob movies from Scorsese. This along with the running time is probably what turned some people against it. In my opinion it didn’t suffer as a result of either.

I adore everything Joe Pesci has done and this is very much his film. If it is to be his last then it is a fitting send off. From his previous collaborations with Scorsese we have become conditioned to him being the ultimate loose cannon. It was refreshing to see him here as the measured lynchpin through which everything flowed. It was a powerful statement that with age comes wisdom. We have shared his mob journey through previous films with Scorsese and here we see him come to his natural end. The scene with all the mobsters decrepit and dying is prison was very poignant.

De Niro was his assured self and bounced off Pacino well. Ultimately though he came down on the side of Pesci. For me Frank was just a useful middle man who harboured little ambition of power, Hoffa by contrast was all about power and retaining it when it was clear he should step away. Keitel and Graham gave great performances and it would have been nice to see them involved more.

The only flat note for me was the scene at the grocery store with De Niro. I distinctly remember saying oh dear when he started shoeing the shopkeeper. I’m surprised that made the final cut.

Overall all though a very fine film that will stand the test of time and will give up more on repeated viewings. I’m definitely going to give it a second spin this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Question re: the freeze frames with the cause of deaths of the characters.

Were these deaths the lead character was meant to have been involved in, or just general details for our info?

NIMAN wrote: »

Were these deaths the lead character was meant to have been involved in, or just general details for our info?

We weren’t really given enough information to know really. I think it was to add colour more than anything.

I agree, I think we’re in the post-golden age. The last great show to end IMO was Mad Men and that’s over four years ago.

And we are well and truly in the post golden age of movies. I think we are in a truly dull age. I'm mid 30s and for last 6 or 7 years I've just found everything to be so predictable and same as what's gone before. Get the odd good original story (which the Irishman certainly wasn't, although I enjoyed it) but so much just follows same old formula these days.

NIMAN wrote: »

Subtitles merely stating historical public record in a deglamourised fashion. Quick google will inform you murders had nothing to do with protagonists.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bottle

I thought it was an enjoyable movie, great actors and good story but they could have used different actors to portray the characters in their younger years. The CGI was a bit odd in spots, I was laughing when DeNiro was kicking the crap out of the store keeper, his face looked young but his body looked very old, especially the movements. It was probably 40 mins too long for me, I fell asleep in the chair.

While not related to The Irishman, I saw Le Mans 66 last night in the cinema, wow... brilliant.

It was like buses, none for ages and then 2 come along together i.e no decent movies in ages and now 2 in one weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

And we are well and truly in the post golden age of movies. I think we are in a truly dull age. I'm mid 30s and for last 6 or 7 years I've just found everything to be so predictable and same as what's gone before. Get the odd good original story (which the Irishman certainly wasn't, although I enjoyed it) but so much just follows same old formula these days.

This really generic phrase gets used a lot but it's really not true. More movies than ever being made these days, and no end of truly excellent movies if you actually look for them. This came up in another thread recently and off the top of my head I was able to think of around 25 excellent movies from the past 2 or 3 years (excluding marvel/blockbuster/sequel type movies) that I considered very good films and were well received by critics.

If I had the time I could probably list 200. We are not in a dull age. Far from it. Any amount of excellent films being made.

Homelander wrote: »
    This really generic phrase gets used a lot but it's really not true. More movies than ever being made these days, and no end of truly excellent movies if you actually look for them. This came up in another thread recently and off the top of my head I was able to think of around 25 excellent movies from the past 2 or 3 years (excluding marvel/blockbuster/sequel type movies) that I considered very good films and were well received by critics.

If I had the time I could probably list 200. We are not in a dull age. Far from it. Any amount of excellent films being made.

Could you name me a few of these 25? Honest request, not disagreeing with you but I could do with some recommendations. There have been some good ones, I'll agree, but the sheer quantity means there's a whole pile of dirt too.

Homelander wrote: »

I don’t know. I’ve been very disappointed with some of the lauded films of the last few years. One that immediately springs to mind is ‘Get Out’. But it’s far from the only one. It’s been a long time since I haven’t been disappointed by a film I saw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

Sure. Here's the list I posted about movies from the past 3 years or so. Obviously they won't all be for everyone (and there's no point picking out one and saying it's crap) but they are the ones that came to mind that I really enjoyed and were generally critically very well received as well. It's just the tip of the iceberg for me, unfortunately can't remember them all obviously, or else the list would be triple the size. More just a counter-point to the idea that there aren't good or original movies getting made. I'll add one or two that I saw recently as well. Saw most of them in the cinema.

Deliberately excluded the obvious blockbusters/Marvel/generic sequels, even though I would argue there were some excellent movies that fit those moulds too.

Personally I'd also put The Irishman on this list.

A Quiet Place
    Annihilation
    Isle of Dogs
    The Nightingale
    Green Book
    Never Grow Old
    The Mule
    Blade Runner 2049
    Good Time
    Mudbound
    A Prayer Before Dawn
    Midsommar