Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water in Navan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

nothing here all day in the priory (opposite side of the green to boyne view afaik) in johnstown. it was working yesterday (xmas day) but nothing all day today.

been out to the garage to get some bottled water, but i do have a backup plan if it's not on tomorrow (and you're free to do the same if you're also stuck), i'm going to go to the public spring just outside kentstown HERE which is only 10-15 minutes up the road from me.

i drove past it on my way to pick up the xmas roast in ashbourne on the 23rd in the middle of all the snow and ice when it was -9 degrees and it was still flowing freely then, so it hasn't been a victim of all the cold weather. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Bizzi Lizzy

vibe666 wrote: »
    i'm going to go to the public spring just outside kentstown which is only 10-15 minutes up the road from me.

You would want to be very careful, sometimes there are signs up at the Lion's Mouth saying that the water there is "Not suitable for Human consumption".

thanks for the tip, but i think not having any water at all is probably worse. :)

sounds like a damn good excuse to boil it first and then 'consume' it in lots of cups of tea. :D

i have 10L of bottled water tho, so i'll just be using it for washing & washing up and stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭paulboland

3 days now in boyne view johnstown with no water
    some houses have water some others dont have any water
    how long for natural thaw of main pipes to houses as no water from mains getting into house

paulboland wrote: »
    3 days now in boyne view johnstown with no water
    some houses have water some others dont have any water
    how long for natural thaw of main pipes to houses as no water from mains getting into house
    it's not that the pipes are frozen in your estate, its that the pipes have cracked and broken further back inb the water system outside of your estate.

i'm on the other side of the park and altho we had water on xmas day there has been none since then.

whatever the problem is, it's wide reaching as the garage down on the main road had no tap water either when i went to get some bottled water yesterday.

go and buy some water for drinking and get some large water containers from woodies or homebase and go down to the kentstown spring to get water for washing up & bathing and you'll be fine.

if you have gas or oil fired central heating with radiators you might want to invest in some kind of portable heater too, just in case it gets cold again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 krishna1978

Hi Rafa did your water come back on i am in the clonmagadden area also and still no water since Christmas Day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

Hi Rafa did your water come back on i am in the clonmagadden area also and still no water since Christmas Day

No, still nothing Krishna, spoke to my 2 neighbours this morning. One has water, but very low pressure, and the other has nothing. One of the neighbours on the opposite side also has nothing since 23rd, like myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

My neighbours water is still off, residents out the old Boyne road in places are out as well. May take a few more hours as the temp is warm 9.9 C at the moment.
    Would also advise if you have snow lying around on the drive or lawn to remove it, your water pipes will thaw out faster.

Same here one neighbour has water we dont i have being trying to conact the Council’s emergency contact number is 1890 445 335 but it is ringing engaged all morning they have posted a noticed on their website

http://www.meath.ie/LocalAuthorities/SevereWeatherNoticesInformation/

But if you cannot get to talk to some one its no good. I think it will be a trip to the shop today to buy in water. With this issue they should have water tankers going around if you do get any supply back would you let me know thanks

Same here one neighbour has water we dont i have being trying to conact the Council’s emergency contact number is 1890 445 335 but it is ringing engaged all morning they have posted a noticed on their website

http://www.meath.ie/LocalAuthorities/SevereWeatherNoticesInformation/

But if you cannot get to talk to some one its no good. I think it will be a trip to the shop today to buy in water. With this issue they should have water tankers going around if you do get any supply back would you let me know thanks

Not being funny about this, but if the estate is new and not handed over to the council they have no obligation to get tankers of water to the area. It comes down to poor design with the water pipes not routed deep enough and not insulated. Once the council have turned on the water that probably ends their responsibility.

• Advertisement

The estate would be 7 years old now would it not handed over to them ? theres no ice or snow on the roads or paths for the last two days now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Andrea Byrne

Our water has been off since last Tuesday still no sign of it coming back. Does anybody know anything about the water in our area and if there is any word on it coming back.

The estate would be 7 years old now would it not handed over to them ? theres no ice or snow on the roads or paths for the last two days now

As far as I am aware Clonmagadden has not been taken over by council. I only bought here during the summer and my solicitor confirmed that the council had not taken over the estate when I bought. My area is clear of ice and snow also.

Meath county council update
    Tuesday 28th December 13.00hrs.
    Water:
    Demand for water is continuing to increase across the County due to leaks as a result of cracked or burst pipes. Low pressure and interruptions to supply may be experienced in a number of areas but particularly in Ashbourne, Dunshaughlin, Ratoath, Dunboyne. The Council is now appealing to people to check for leaks particularly in unoccupied business units, vacant properties agricultural buildings and field troughs.
    The priority now is to protect water supplies and Meath County Council’s leak detection units are working to identify leaks as required.
    • We are also advising people who have pipework problems to contact a plumber and arrange to have leaks repaired as soon as possible.
    • Non- domestic customers should have burst/leaking pipe work repaired as soon as possible as if left unattended this will be reflected in their subsequent water bills.
    For further advice please go to water notices on meath.ie.
    Roads: As the thaw continues, driving conditions have improved on the County’s main road network. The Council is asking motorists to continue to drive with care as there will be potholes on road as a result of the heavy compacted snow.
    Meath County Council’s switchboard will be in open tomorrow Wednesday from 9.30a.m. to 5.00p.m. at 0469097000

God help us when water meters come in. As far as the council is concerned the water is on, most of the posters here have frozen pipes or perhaps a break in the main further from your properties afecting a section of the estate. Those individual households with no water will need to look at getting the main water pipes insulated when the winter is over and this will mean digging up the ground outside to get at them.

Navan council need to supply water tanks to boyne view estate tomorrow
    They did supply last jan 2010
    Most houses on a slope or hill in boyne view have no water
    The houses that are not on a hill or a slope have water in most houses with a few that dont due to frozen pipes inside there houses

This is now a health and saftey issue
    All who can read this and any estate who need water in johnstown
    Priory View/Grove
    Spire View
    Millbrook
    Boyne View
    Carne Hill etc etc.
    Call Meath Council Tomorrow as there back at work in office demand water tanks and for them to send engineers to check water flow direct to all houses SIMPLE KNOCK ON DOOR DO YOU HAVE WATER
    This can be done without any digging up using there cctv micro cameara to see were the blockage is per house is causing no water
    Some houses it will be due to internal frozen pipes and is not for council to fix but house owner.
    mains supply to house from street is council as they had to approve work on each estate, if its seen a lot of houses are not getting water then council did not do correct quality check and it then become legal there problem as they passed the work in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 2 HRJ

Hi All

In Navan out the Proudstown Rd end of town (Beaufort place)

No water here since the 26th (was working night of 24th was away 25th)

Rang council emergency line on 26th got a complete muppet on the phone who hadn't a clue. Then , in the best traditions of heavily unionised Irish public service, they switched off the emergency line.

Still no water now and have bought litres of the stuff.

Is anyone else out this way experiencing the same or is it just my house (neighbours away so can't ask them)?

Thanks guys for your help - Meath county council are a bunch of morons.

Regards
    H

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

nothing here all day in the priory (opposite side of the green to boyne view afaik) in johnstown. it was working yesterday (xmas day) but nothing all day today.

been out to the garage to get some bottled water, but i do have a backup plan if it's not on tomorrow (and you're free to do the same if you're also stuck), i'm going to go to the public spring just outside kentstown HERE which is only 10-15 minutes up the road from me.

i drove past it on my way to pick up the xmas roast in ashbourne on the 23rd in the middle of all the snow and ice when it was -9 degrees and it was still flowing freely then, so it hasn't been a victim of all the cold weather. :)

Apparently there is now a huge q on this road to get this water

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

On the proudstown side of town and haven't had water for 5 days...ridiculous. Also, how are we supposed to know if it's our pipes that are burst/cracked? I don't fancy paying a plumber 100 quid to tell me everything's ok.

just an update on this.

i spoke to a mate out in balrath who had the same issues as everyone else seems to be having and he went out and filled the stopcock hole at the front of his drive with hot water and it cleared the blockage and he got his water back on.

a couple of the people on my street still had water and it occurred to me that it was all the people who had been clearing their drives when it was snowing (I hadn't and neither had my neighbour). as i was going out yesterday lunchtime to the in-laws for a shower and to stock up on water, he was out filling his stopcock hole with boiling water too and by the time i got home that evening he had his water back again so i figured it was worth a shot.

i opened the small hole at the front of our driveway and poured down 3 kettles full of boiling water about 5 minutes apart (the time it took to re-boil the kettle). this was about 7pm and by midnight i could hear the cistern in the toilet filling up (very slowly).

i put the central heating timer back on and by the morning everything was back to normal.

the only thing i can think is that although the surface snow/ice had melted that the underground was still below zero and the water leaking down into the water system was re-freezing below ground and freezing the incoming water pipes.

i know pouring boiling water on frozen pipes is far from the recommended course of action in these circumstances, but its made the difference between being able to have a shower & flush the toilet and not, so i for one am all for it. after 4-5 days without water, there's very little to lose imho.

also, for everyone without water, i was at my brother in law's at the weekend and they got a call from a neighbour who had been away for a week and had come home to find that their cold water tank had frozen solid & burst and then defrosted and they had water pumping into their house for days and the whole inside of the house was destroyed, so as bad as it is not having any water at all, it could always be a lot worse.

Hey Guys

I am only in a new house for over a year and this ridiculous, we still have no water since last Tuesday, I have tried calling the offices of Meath co council as directed on their site they should be open from 9.30 today however there out of office message is still on and the emergency number doesnt even connect.

My neighbours have a new baby and a sick child and are living off bottled water, surely they should be sending around water tankers at this stage to the houses that are without water. Are entire estate is not off only part of the road.

• Advertisement

Hey Guys

I am only in a new house for over a year and this ridiculous, we still have no water since last Tuesday, I have tried calling the offices of Meath co council as directed on their site they should be open from 9.30 today however there out of office message is still on and the emergency number doesnt even connect.

My neighbours have a new baby and a sick child and are living off bottled water, surely they should be sending around water tankers at this stage to the houses that are without water. Are entire estate is not off only part of the road.
    read my previous post, its quite possible you can fix it yourself.

Thanks for that will give it a go later, however we live in a row of duplex 3 storey apartments so we will have a problem trying to find the stopcock outside..

Thanks for that will give it a go later, however we live in a row of duplex 3 storey apartments so we will have a problem trying to find the stopcock outside..
    it should be a little square metel cover a little smaller than a slice of bread.

you can open it with a screwdriver or a sturdy knife or similar.

2-3 kettles full of water and 3-5 hours and you should be back up and running again with a bit of luck.

Thanks again, im gonna try that when i get home from work today... finally got through to Meat Co Co said that there is no stopage in our area that there is obviously a problem with pipes so they are sending someone out.

i'm sending you a PM with my mobile number, i'll be home later this evening so if you're still having problems give me a call and i'll nip round and have a look if you like. i'm not an expert, but i know what you're looking for, so it might be easier for me to spot it.

i assume you're in the apartments that are at the back of the green in between the boyne & priory estates?

Water came back at midnight I had been doing hot water at driveway 2-3 kettles per day over 3 days
    Now funny thing people who had not lost water had no water from 7pm last night then at midnight I get my water back.
    Council turned off water and then turned back on I wondering had they made a mistake from previous not turning back on everyone in the first place
    It must be Christmas I got water back lol

paulboland wrote: »
    Water came back at midnight I had been doing hot water at driveway 2-3 kettles per day over 3 days
    Now funny thing people who had not lost water had no water from 7pm last night then at midnight I get my water back.
    Council turned off water and then turned back on I wondering had they made a mistake from previous not turning back on everyone in the first place
    It must be Christmas I got water back lol
    yeah, same thing happened here.

well, i thought it was me that fixed it by pouring hot water down the little hole at the end of our driveway, but the junior jungle telegraph (i.e. the kids on my street) have told me that water came back on all over the street around 11pm last night so i guess me and my kettle was just a happy coincidence. :o)

there was some work going on at the new kilcairn bridge between the lights & the willows around 6-7pm so i'm guessing it was whatever they were doing that finally fixed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 HRJ

Mine came back on too late last night (out proudstown rd)

Thank Christ

just an update on this.

i spoke to a mate out in balrath who had the same issues as everyone else seems to be having and he went out and filled the stopcock hole at the front of his drive with hot water and it cleared the blockage and he got his water back on.

a couple of the people on my street still had water and it occurred to me that it was all the people who had been clearing their drives when it was snowing (I hadn't and neither had my neighbour). as i was going out yesterday lunchtime to the in-laws for a shower and to stock up on water, he was out filling his stopcock hole with boiling water too and by the time i got home that evening he had his water back again so i figured it was worth a shot.

i opened the small hole at the front of our driveway and poured down 3 kettles full of boiling water about 5 minutes apart (the time it took to re-boil the kettle). this was about 7pm and by midnight i could hear the cistern in the toilet filling up (very slowly).

i put the central heating timer back on and by the morning everything was back to normal.

the only thing i can think is that although the surface snow/ice had melted that the underground was still below zero and the water leaking down into the water system was re-freezing below ground and freezing the incoming water pipes.

i know pouring boiling water on frozen pipes is far from the recommended course of action in these circumstances, but its made the difference between being able to have a shower & flush the toilet and not, so i for one am all for it. after 4-5 days without water, there's very little to lose imho.

also, for everyone without water, i was at my brother in law's at the weekend and they got a call from a neighbour who had been away for a week and had come home to find that their cold water tank had frozen solid & burst and then defrosted and they had water pumping into their house for days and the whole inside of the house was destroyed, so as bad as it is not having any water at all, it could always be a lot worse.

Whooo!! Finally have water for the first time since 23rd. Vibe666, a lot of say make sense, but the bit with the snow I am not so sure, as I cleared the snow and ice every day, I think my house was the only one on my side of the street that did so, one of my neighbours next door didnt bother to clear it, but they never lost water during the last couple of weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

No water here in Carne Hill in Johnstown.It went yesterday morning but most of my neighbours around me are in the same boat. I saw the council guys at the bridge near the Willows yesterday eve alright.

Advertisement