Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carpet-Steam Cleaner

Options
  • 17-12-2010 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭

I have a steam cleaner which I was just about to use in a local society meeting room.

I have used it before but only put in half of the jug supplied with water. I think I may have filled it with too much water this time as it is a bigger area to clean! Voluntary work and all that!

While it heated up etc. it then tripped the switch. I plugged it out, let it cool down and changed the fuse in the plug but it tripped the switch again.

Have I a problem with the machine itself or anybody got any ideas? It is a Lavor one...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭youtheman

Three possible reasons (based on the info given):

1. you have spilled water on the flex or plug. Check the unit out.

2. you have plugged it into a circuit that is not rated for the electrical load (circa. 13 amps). You said the circuit breaker tripped. This is a completely separate safety device to the plug fuse. So after checking out the unit (as per 1. above) plug it into a circuit that you have used before.

3. there is an electrical fault with the unit. May need investigation by a 'competent' and qualified person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

it could be a few things in that unit, most likely the element if it was just heating up at the time and you were not using it.

what tripped? an rcbo, elcb or mcb?

depending on the elements and unit design earth leakage becomes a problem with age causing the protective devices to trip. particularly with wraparound type elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

it could be a few things in that unit, most likely the element if it was just heating up at the time and you were not using it.

what tripped? an rcbo, elcb or mcb?

depending on the elements and unit design earth leakage becomes a problem with age causing the prote ctive devices to trip. particularly with wraparound type elements.

Yea, looks like it is the steam cleaner. As I plugged it in elsewhere with a sep electricity supply and it tripped the switch which is the main one for all the sockets. I reckon that water spilt or I was told in the hardware shop where I went to get a 13 amp fuse (replacement) that I may have put too much water into it and when it heats up, needless to add it heated up and was bubbling. I hadn't a chance to use it as I was waiting for it to reach required temp. I had used it a few months ago, with no problem ans. So I guess I will empty it out, only half fill it and see what happens.

I was able to reset switch in the correct position and all sockets were working again....so it quite clearly, is the appliance.

Advertisement