Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCAS

• 17-12-2010 6:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭

For those who've applied to UCAS, how are you faring so far?

I've applied to the following five

Bristol Medicine - Acknowledgment
    Leicester Medicine - Acknowledgment
    East Anglia Medicine - Acknowledgment - Rejected
    Medway Schl. Pharm. - Interview
    Uni. Ulster Pharm. - Nothing yet

I've just received both the E.Anglia rejection email (UKCAT let me down :( ) and the Medway School of Pharmacy interview invitation today.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

City Uni (London) Rejected
    London School of Economics Rejected
    Heriot-Watts (Edinburgh) Offer
    Heriot-Watts (Edinburgh, different course) Acknowledgement
    Queens (Belfast) Acknowledgement

The 2nd HW course is a lot harder to get into, but still a similar course, but I'm not expecting an offer.. Same with Queens, it's the hardest out of all of my 5 to get into.

All Actuarial Finance or thereabouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

A conditional offer already? Congrats! (Now all you need to do is get the grades on your LC ;))

A conditional offer already? Congrats! (Now all you need to do is get the grades on your LC ;))

Yeah I was waiting for ages for something.. :) Haha.. Yeah and we all know how that's going.. :( :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭IveSeenFire

Why do people want to study in the UK anyway? And LSE? A bit ambitious i would have thought.. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Halla Basin

Why do people want to study in the UK anyway? And LSE? A bit ambitious i would have thought.. Good luck.

Mod: Leave the name-calling out, thanks!

You know nothing about the guy!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Is it too late to apply for colleges in the UK?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Ciaramb92 wrote: »
    City Uni (London) Rejected
    London School of Economics Rejected
    Heriot-Watts (Edinburgh) Offer
    Heriot-Watts (Edinburgh, different course) Acknowledgement
    Queens (Belfast) Acknowledgement

The 2nd HW course is a lot harder to get into, but still a similar course, but I'm not expecting an offer.. Same with Queens, it's the hardest out of all of my 5 to get into.

All Actuarial Finance or thereabouts.

I applied for Actuarial Science (or Actuarial Maths, they're the same thing anyway) in both Heriott-Watt and Queens last year (2009/2010 academic year). Herriot-Watt gave me a conditional offer (and then a proper offer once the results came out) but Queens rejected me, for some reason (had they offered me conditional, I would have met their grade requirements when the LC results came around so I'm guessing it might have been due to the personal statement).

I'm in UCD doing Actuarial Maths now so if you have any questions feel free to ask me (I'm in first year!).

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Is it too late to apply for colleges in the UK?
    No, you can still apply up to the 15th January for all courses barring medicine. Applications for medicine had to have been in before the 15th October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 sean_17

Applied for medicine at:

Edinburgh Uni - Acknowledgement
    Queens - Acknowledgement
    Aberdeen - Acknowledgement

UKCAT went a little over average
    JC results should stand to me, as well as predicted grades

Fingers crossed for an offer now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭straight_As

sean_17 wrote: »
    Applied for medicine at:

Edinburgh Uni - Acknowledgement
    Queens - Acknowledgement
    Aberdeen - Acknowledgement

UKCAT went a little over average
    JC results should stand to me, as well as predicted grades

Fingers crossed for an offer now :)

Just saying what I know from my experience, they don't give a shíte about you're JC and LC grades once you meet the minimum required (because of the low quality of the exams). Most of it comes down to UKCAT and PS. I applied last year and didn't even get an interview despite having the grades and an above average UKCAT, but admittedly, my PS was useless. Hope it goes better for you though, I didn't apply to Aberdeen and regret it badly because apparently they like Irish students, so you made a good choice there :)

Anyway, I reapplied for med this year with a much better application (Bham, Newc, Glasgow, St Andrews) and have three interviews and an acknowledgement thus far, so things are looking good (well better :S).

Best of luck to all. If ye can get Scotland free fees are juicy, that's what I'm hoping for!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭IveSeenFire

<modsnip> You know nothing about the guy!

I don't mean to offend. I apologise if I did. It's just surprising to find out people my age are going to places with such prestige like the LSE. It makes my ambitions seem, well, boring? I actually think it's great that people have the determination to further educate themselves and aren't afraid to push themselves to apply to the LSE. Again, good luck to those applying.

A bit rude I would have thought... Speaks a lot about you.
    <modsnip> You know nothing about the guy!
    Thanks.. But I'm a girl..! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 sean_17

Was speaking to some of the people from
    Edinburgh and Queens and they have specific JC grades that have to be met before they'll even entertain your application. They also said the UKCAT is just there, once you achieve 600 or over it has little other bearing on your application. Queens in particular are sticklers for the JC results from what I've heard!

Got a conditional offer off University of Ulster today for Pharmacy! Now all I need is 3A1s and a B1 and i'm in. It sounds great and everything but that's near enough the requirements for Pharmacy in Ireland and i'm only applying to UCAS as a backup.

Got a conditional offer off University of Ulster today for Pharmacy! Now all I need is 3A1s and a B1 and i'm in. It sounds great and everything but that's near enough the requirements for Pharmacy in Ireland and i'm only applying to UCAS as a backup.

Not really, thats like 380 points because you can fail your other subjects for all they care..! :P

Congrats..! :) What campus is that in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭luciemc

anyone applied to ucl?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 nomnomnomnom

hi guys jw, one of the college i want to apply to requires that you apply without having your resuts! i did the leaving cert this year, just wondering if there lenint with that or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 vale95

Is it too late to apply now?? Before I didn't care much about going to england but now I really want to go! Can I still apply?

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

It is far too late now, the applications closed on the 15th.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭irishrepeat2

Out of curiousity,were you a repeat student or did you use lc results from first sitting?,
    I am a repeat student interested in applying for medicine in UK,however I am aware they do not take fondly to the idea of repeating,
    However I am unaware whether this is the case for all universities and courses?,
    any help would be greatly appreciated:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement