Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking Fine

• 17-12-2010 6:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42

Hi Guys

I parked my car on Barronstrand Street this morning at about 9.55am A friend of mine owns a shop othere and I was dropping paperwork into him. I returned to my car at about 10.15am to find a lovely parking fine, the time on the ticket was 10.08am reason was Parking a vehicle at a time prohibited. There was in excess of 10 vans parked around me and none had tickets on them although my vehicle is not a commercial I feel I should not have received the fine. Question is do I appeal it or just bite the bullet and pay ??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Bite and pay I'm afraid,

when I was working on steven street I have seen people get done for only 5min.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

waterford1 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I parked my car on Barronstrand Street this morning at about 9.55am A friend of mine owns a shop othere and I was dropping paperwork into him. I returned to my car at about 10.15am to find a lovely parking fine, the time on the ticket was 10.08am reason was Parking a vehicle at a time prohibited. There was in excess of 10 vans parked around me and none had tickets on them although my vehicle is not a commercial I feel I should not have received the fine. Question is do I appeal it or just bite the bullet and pay ??

it's only open as a loading zone ( commercial vehicles) early in the morning so you'll have to pay i'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Commercial vehicles pay more on the toll bridge, but can park in loading bays.

Its swings and roundabouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

loading bays are there for one purpose and one purpose only!! for ease of access for delivery drivers dropping off to shops if ya drive a car then park it in a parking space and don,t be lazy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

look just appeal it costs nothing......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

Loads of people park on that street in the mornings so you may be able to get off with it.
    That being said though, I saw a cop writing out tickets yesterday for 3/4 cars parked in the loading bay outside sherwoods......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sarah88

i would appeal it, its worth a try! and and as Hoffmans said it costs nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Wasting your time i am afraid pay up and put it down to experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

There was in excess of 10 vans parked around me and none had tickets on them although my vehicle is not a commercial I feel I should not have received the fine.

Why? They were parked legally, you weren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 waterford1

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Why? They were parked legally, you weren't.

Do all shopkeepers drive vans ???? I am sure there is plenty shopkeepers that drive cars who need access to there premises at this time of day, they all pay city council rates and are surely entitled to load without getting a ticket ???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Do all shopkeepers drive vans ???? I am sure there is plenty shopkeepers that drive cars who need access to there premises at this time of day, they all pay city council rates and are surely entitled to load without getting a ticket ???

Well, if you are doing any serious loading you would need a van. I suspect most businesses in the city centre have their goods delivered to them by their suppliers.

You have a point that business people need to be able to get to their business, and I think the first 15min of parking should be free to all (in normal spaces, not loading bays), so if someone just needs to drop something in they can. However, as someone who made deliveries it is very annoying to be driving around waiting for a car to leave a loading bay. If you are making a delivery you have to park as close to the shop as possible. Otherwise you'd spend half the day delivering to a single shop.

However, one thing businesses need more than preferential parking is customers, and there will be less customers if business owners take all the good parking spaces in front of the shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Are you a shop keeper that was unloading goods from a van?

No you are not so I have no idea what that little outburst was about. You parked illegally. Pay your fine and don't do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

if you can prove the ''paperwork'' was work related to your business, I would appeal it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

savic04 wrote: »
    if you can prove the ''paperwork'' was work related to your business, I would appeal it
    Pretty much the above.

Advertisement