Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BLACKPOWDER /PYRODEX

Options
  • 17-12-2010 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

HELLO GUYS ANOTHER YEAR COMES TO AN END . WAS THINKING IN THE NEW YEAR OF APPLYING FOR REGISTRATION OF KEEPING SOME GUNPOWDER I,VE ALWAYS BEING FASCINATED WITH FIRING ONE I KNOW THAT GUNPOWDER OR PYRODEX (I ,M SURE TOO) COMES UNDER THE 1975 EXPLOSIVES ACT.NEEDLESS TO SAY IMPORTATION LICENSCE AND HEALTH AND SAFETY IS A HUGE ASPECT AS WELL AS APPLICATION FROM LOCAL AUTHOURITY CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE TAKE ME THROUGH THE PROCEDURE WHO DO I APPLY TO IN LOCAL AUTHORITY? HOW DOES AN IMPORTATION LICENSE WORK ANY INFORMATION AT ALL WOULD BE GREAT THANK YOU :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

Good luck with that one, base act is S.I 42 of 1955 and subsequent amendments, you'll need to demonstrate good reason, qualifications and comply with storage regs and probably insurance too.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭blackpowder

EXACTLY SAVAGE BUT TO HOLD MAYBE A HALF A POUND OF BLACKPOWDER TO SHOOT IN THIS COUNTRY AS A SHOOTING SPORT IS CRAZY BELIEVE ME I UNDERSTAND THIS HAS TO BE REGULATED AND OF COURSE COMPLIED WITH BUT IT MAKES IT VERY DIFFICULT FOR THE ORDINARY WOULD BE ENTHUSAIST TO GET STARTED AT ALL THE LEGISLATION INSELF SEEMS ALMOST TO SAY WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO SHOOT BLACKPOWER IN THE FIRST PLACE LOL?:cool: BUT ITS A VERY COMMON THING ALL OVER EUROPE AND AMERICA FOR THOSE INTERESTED IN HISTORIC GUNS TO BE ABLE TO SHOOT THEM ,I CAN UNDERSTAND OUR COUNTRYS HISTORY POLITICALLY TO HAVE THESE LAWS INPLACED BUT IN TODAYS MODERN IRELAND? I DONT UNDERSTAND

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Blackpowder could you please take the caps lock off. Using all higher case lettering is the textual equivilant of shouting.

Thanks.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

At the moment the Amended/updated/new Explosives Act is being finalised. Blackpowder and propellants are to be contained within this Act so my own personal opinion on the matter would be that getting an import license for the powder will not happen, and as loading at home, etc is prohibited i cannot see this happening.

I could be wrong, but doubt it. Unfortunately you will have to wait and see what happens after the new Act is put into place.

I have never imported powder so will not try explain the process.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

Whats the legality of making your own?
    I remember having a chemistry set as a kid, it contained instructions and components! How times have changed.

BTW bud that pyrodex stinks! imagine a nappy full of indian food and bad eggs

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

ezridax wrote: »
    Blackpowder could you please take the caps lock off. Using all higher case lettering is the textual equivilant of shouting.

Thanks.

I'm thinking he's gone deaf from all the black powder explosions!
    OP, if you do somehow work out how to posses some legally, don't mess around too much with it.
    It burns much quicker than smokeless modern powder, I know a guy here in California who wanted to dispose of a few ounces of it in his barbeque pit.
    He got enveloped and died shortly after form massive all over burns

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

I know a guy who has a cannon, flintlock and match gun. He shoots them all. He works for the OPW and uses his stuff for displays of historic nature. Same old story in this country. Its who you know that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

harmoniums wrote: »
    I remember having a chemistry set as a kid, it contained instructions and components! How times have changed.

BTW bud that pyrodex stinks! imagine a nappy full of indian food and bad eggs

Making your own here ends up in the headlines as BOMB MAKING PLANT FOUND. Sure no normal person would want black powder :rolleyes:

Ammonium and potassium nitrate are classed as explosives here on there own, without been mixed with anything that would make them explosives.Yet your white pudding contains potassium nitrate and instant ice packs contain ammonium nitrate. All against the law here, but openly for sale to anyone.

harmoniums wrote: »

Not a hope.

The import license is nigh on impossible to get, so asking for a license to manufacture them (cause thats what your doing even if its only for personal use) will not happen. Add to both these scenarios the huge security meaures that will be asked off and you are looking at more money to set up than you would save by doing the reloading.

Seriously lads, other than special grants for historical shooters/exhibitions you will not get an import license for any powder or propellant. I would love to stand to be corrected, but i very much doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

i would love to shoot blackpowder firearms , and seeing as how the minister was so obsessed with "military assault weapons" surely shooting something that takes ages to load and shoot and are about 6 feet long ( the muskets) is a good thing ,

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=5501509n

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

rowa wrote: »
    i would love to shoot blackpowder firearms
    [/URL]

me too, i love them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I think we're a while away from seeing this yet. Ezri's got pretty much the most expertise of anyone I know on boards (or off them for that matter) in this subject area - it's him I'd be asking, or heeding once he's answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Plus the fact to make BP is an EXTREMLY DANGEROUS undertaking.

Its not just mixing pot nitrate,charcoal and sulfer together in the right quantities..That will get you a very low base "black" powder called "Serpintine" which was last used in warfare around the Elizabethen and earlier times.
    To get proper BP it has to be graded ,and be uniform as much as possible in shape,consistency,and to do this it has to be rolled.This is the most dangerous part of the operation,and there are plenty of recorded cases of powder mills being blown sky high in history from the roller plant.
    It was so dangerous the plant was usually situated well away from the rest of the complex,and was operated by remote control as much as possible.Men who worked there were paid top dollar for the risk they undertook,as the fatalities were high,more than average in those days.
    Everything had to be non sparking,even the mens boots couldnt have any nails or soles that might pick up a stone that could spark.

Even today with plastics,sealed electric motors,etc.It is still considerd pretty dangerous to make commercialy.
    One static electric spark could ruin your whole day..There are enough accidents with professional firework displayers who mostly use this and some other more dangerous chemicals,and they are professionally trained pryotechnicans,so unless you really know wTF you are up to,have some pro pryotechnican training..I'd leave well enough alone..:eek:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Plus the fact to make BP is an EXTREMLY DANGEROUS undertaking.

Its not just mixing pot nitrate,charcoal and sulfer together in the right quantities..That will get you a very low base "black" powder called "Serpintine" which was last used in warfare around the Elizabethen and earlier times.
    To get proper BP it has to be graded ,and be uniform as much as possible in shape,consistency,and to do this it has to be rolled.This is the most dangerous part of the operation,and there are plenty of recorded cases of powder mills being blown sky high in history from the roller plant.
    It was so dangerous the plant was usually situated well away from the rest of the complex,and was operated by remote control as much as possible.Men who worked there were paid top dollar for the risk they undertook,as the fatalities were high,more than average in those days.
    Everything had to be non sparking,even the mens boots couldnt have any nails or soles that might pick up a stone that could spark.

Even today with plastics,sealed electric motors,etc.It is still considerd pretty dangerous to make commercialy.
    One static electric spark could ruin your whole day..There are enough accidents with professional firework displayers who mostly use this and some other more dangerous chemicals,and they are professionally trained pryotechnicans,so unless you really know wTF you are up to,have some pro pryotechnican training..I'd leave well enough alone..:eek:

yeah , noslers plant was destroyed during the year with a massive explosion and fire.

i asked a firearms dealer last year if shotgun cartridges loaded with black powder are available and he told me they were , but were expensive , if you wanted to shoot a muzzle loader and already held a shotgun licence , could you not legally use the black powder from the cartridges ?

NO. Nor should anyone try this.

If you have a license for a shotgun or rifle you have authorisation to possess the necessary caliber rounds for that firearm. If you break up or disassemble the round you are not in possession of powder/propellant, primers, and all the other individual components of the round which require seperate licenses of their own to possess.

There is no way around this. You either have the necessary licenses for the reloading and its equipment and components or you don't. If found to be doing what you suggest without the licenses you are guilty of an offense.

Advertisement