Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taking Christ out of Xmas

• 17-12-2010 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭

At this time of year,
    it is possible to hear that by writing
    Xmas to abbreviate the word Christmas,
    we are joining the secular world
    and,
    effectively,
    taking Christ out of Christmas
    as if we had put an X through His Holy Name.

But not so!
    Such is not a traditional insight.
    This is a false new notion
    that threatens to take Christ out of Xmas
    and fill us with fear of using the hallowed abbreviation.

This is then a good time to remember
    that the use of the letter X
    comes from the original Greek of the Gospel
    and is one of the very ancient abbreviations in our language
    that precisely means
    Christ.

More here: http://papastronsay.blogspot.com/2010/12/taking-christ-out-of-xmas.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭homer911

I don't argue with your logic or definition, but it's one thing to write it (for the sake of brevity) and it's another to say it. Somehow it seems one step away from wishing someone "Seasons Greetings" or "Happy Holidays" - the thin end of the secular wedge if you will!

As Christians, we shouldn't be afraid to talk about Christmas, but those who dont care can talk about "Xmas" if they want to. I certainly wouldn't criticise anyone for doing so.

Happy Christmas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Jester Minute

homer911 wrote: »
    I don't argue with your logic or definition, but it's one thing to write it (for the sake of brevity) and it's another to say it. Somehow it seems one step away from wishing someone "Seasons Greetings" or "Happy Holidays" - the thin end of the secular wedge if you will!

As Christians, we shouldn't be afraid to talk about Christmas, but those who dont care can talk about "Xmas" if they want to. I certainly wouldn't criticise anyone for doing so.

Happy Christmas!

It's not actually my logic so I can't take the credit for it. I wouldn't say it. I wouldn't be bothered writing it either. But I think the origins of the term are interesting.

Perhaps it's about reclaiming what is part of the Christian heritage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

The abbreviation actually was used first by Christians. X being the first letter used in Christos or Christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Jakkass wrote: »
    The abbreviation actually was used first by Christians. X being the first word used in Christos or Christ.

Is the use of Xianity taking Christ out of Christianity? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

At this time of year,
    it is possible to hear that by writing
    Xmas to abbreviate the word Christmas,
    we are joining the secular world
    and,
    effectively,
    taking Christ out of Christmas
    as if we had put an X through His Holy Name.

But not so!
    Such is not a traditional insight.
    This is a false new notion
    that threatens to take Christ out of Xmas
    and fill us with fear of using the hallowed abbreviation.

This is then a good time to remember
    that the use of the letter X
    comes from the original Greek of the Gospel
    and is one of the very ancient abbreviations in our language
    that precisely means
    Christ.

More here: http://papastronsay.blogspot.com/2010/12/taking-christ-out-of-xmas.html

Society was pagan and had a pagan feastday. Society went Christian and the feastday became a Christian feastday. Society has now gone secular so it follows that the feastday become Christ-less.

I think Christ would appreciate the congruance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

I call the 25th "Jesus Christ was born to save you from your sinfulness"-mas. Take THAT secularisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

As a secularist, I'm not offended when someone says "Happy Christmas", I'll respond with the same, or if they say "Happy Holidays" I'll respond in kind.

I think those that demand that Christians refrain from saying Christmas are being ridiculous. But if Xmas is used in an advert, and Christians would claim to be offended, I would find it hard to surpress a snigger or grunt of contempt.

Does it really matter?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

But as a defified God yourself Caesar Augustus, surely you'd be a little offended if someone kept shortening your month to a mere Aug. :)

Advertisement