Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kettle of Fish - worst experience EVER

Options
  • 17-12-2010 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭

(Rant warning). Am SO p*ssed off at the experience today that I feel strongly enough to post it on here and let people know. :mad:

Ok, so I'd had not the best experience of 'pub hour' food in Kettle of Fish on Cross St, enough to not go in much at all. I realise that a lot of 'chip ends' etc are passed off to the great drunken masses, so when we were passing tonight, and saw they had a 'special' on, thought I would give it a daytime chance.

The 'special' outside was for cod, chips, mushy peas and tartar sauce for 8.50 - not bad I thought... I was with a friend and an older relative who was visiting, we ordered three 'specials' and three teas. I actually ordered saying 'special deal, the fish and chips with mushy peas please'.
    The waitress (who was very nice) took our order, and the owner/'cook' (I use that term liberally) was standing beside her. Our 'food' arrived in normal time, and consisted of a piece of fish (the batter looked fresh), and the most shrivelled up cold chips I have ever seen apart from the day after a party! What wasn't shrivelled was 'shrapnel' at best, the kind even drunk people notice!

No sign of the tea, so I ask the waitress. The owner shouts from over the counter 'how many with sugar', then takes the extra sugars off the waitress (now I don't have a huge problem with not wasting sugar packets, but it was an indication of things to come)

I ask about the tartare sauce - 'All right' he says. I double check the blackboard to make sure about the peas - deffo comes with peas.
    I ask about the mushy peas, and owner says oh ok, yes and sighs. Then drops down ONE ramekin of ice cold mushy peas. I then ask don't they come with every plate? He says, ok ok, and drops down two more ice cold ramekins. A few mins later the tartar sauce arrives.
    I let him know that they all should have come at once, and was a bit miffed, but we were hungry.

The older person with us had a cold, and had started eating the fish. When the tartar sauce arrived, I dug into the fish and took a big mouthful with the sauce. I went to take a plain bite, and then realised there was a bad smell from the fish - almost chemical smelling, like nail polish remover. It was very strong and I took a second sniff. Just then my friend said that their fish smelled a bit iffy. Now while the batter on the fish was fresh, and it looked ok, the smell was really overpowering. That was it. I went up to complain and the poor waitress told us that she'd only started 10 mins ago, and the owner, who was standing beside her, saying nothing, finally spoke. I told him I had no problem with her service, but the food was awful.

I told him we couldn't eat any more, the peas were cold, the chips were old and the fish was smelly. No apologies nothing, just 'it was all made fresh' (lies). As we had drunk half a cup of tea and eaten a few chips (and the older person had a few mouthfuls), I suggested to him that he refund half our money, tbh I thought this was very generous on my part! He refused, saying 'everything was cooked fresh' (rubbish again).

He said we had 'waited too long' before eating the peas :eek: WTF! They arrived STONE COLD. He said the chips were cooked fresh, I held one up and asked if he thought we were drunk, as they looked like they'd been there a week. He then conceded that he might have 'mixed in a few old ones with a few new ones (rubbish).
    I pointed out that he wasn't doing his business any favours, then he offered to 'cook it again' - needless to say I refused, and after another back and forth, he threw half the money at us and tried to hush the conversation as two new customers came in. The place had been empty (likely the reason for the ancient chips).

Now I KNOW people have off days, I KNOW stuff gets cold. But this guy was trying to save a few pence, serving old food, and calling his customers liars, then half admitting his f*ck ups. It really p*sses me off businesses trying to rip off customers in this climate, as many of us eat out as a treat. I've a dodgy tum as I type, and I only hope the worst of it is behind me.

NEVER eating there again. :mad::mad::mad:

*EDIT - now transpires this guy is probably an employee/manager *not* the owner, despite confusing yes/no/yes answer. Changes little tho.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Mr.Mister

To be fair,i think the quality has dropped BIG time.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭soundbyte

Had a couple of terrible feeds there lately. The chips are different, smaller and were freezin cold the first time. Second time, got chicken goujons that werent cooked properly, they were gooey and inedible.

Jack Jordans FTW

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I used to love this place, but I've heard/read so many horror stories I doubt I'll go to it again. Granted I haven't been there in over a year (due to not being in the country) so they won't realistically be missing my custom, it's sad all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Mr.Mister wrote: »
    To be fair,i think the quality has dropped BIG time.

To be fair????????

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

Places like these eventually die away. Its sounds like you received despicable service. He should have refunded you fully. Its disgraceful the ****e people are still trying to pull in this country. Mind you, there are many places around who would welcome your service and treat you as you should be. You should contact the owners as this guy could be ruining their business.

• Advertisement

ErnieBert wrote: »
    To be fair????????

Yes fair.

Maybe wrong choice of start but you get my drift.

darrenh wrote: »
    You should contact the owners as this guy could be ruining their business.

If its the English dude, he *is* the owner. Tries to be all pally with you. He's not my cup of tea at all. The foreign lad in there is absolutely dead on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

darrenh wrote: »
    Places like these eventually die away. Its sounds like you received despicable service. He should have refunded you fully. Its disgraceful the ****e people are still trying to pull in this country. Mind you, there are many places around who would welcome your service and treat you as you should be. You should contact the owners as this guy could be ruining their business.

I said to the guy 'are you not the owner'? He nodded AND shook his head in succession, so don't know what to make of that! Small guy, not Irish. Dunno?

soundbyte wrote: »
    If its the English dude, he *is* the owner. Tries to be all pally with you. He's not my cup of tea at all. The foreign lad in there is absolutely dead on though.

Just saw this. This lad *was* foreign. All smiley when we came in, but then all that sh*t happened.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

inisboffin wrote: »

As we had drunk half a cup of tea and eaten a few chips (and the older person had a few mouthfuls), I suggested to him that he refund half our money, tbh I thought this was very generous on my part!

You were very generous indeed and you shouldn't have been.
    Perhaps you should have offered to to pay for the tea (as it wasn't included in the special menu) but thats all.

When ordering a meal you are paying for the product in its entirety. If part of it is inadequate (within reason of course,) you should expect a full refund.

The fact that the chef offered to cook you another meal is not good enough as the experience had already left a bad taste in your mouth - Literally.

I'm not familiar with the restaurant in question but judging by the reviews above, I won't be in a hurry to go there.

• Advertisement

Just saw this. This lad *was* foreign. All smiley when we came in, but then all that sh*t happened.

Personally, in this situation, I'd pop in sometime and tell the owner I will *never* visit again.

It can backfire though, I remember getting a takeaway in Conlons a few years ago. Ended up driving the whole way back in from knocknacarra because the food was a disgrace (cod and chips x 2). Went in, complained, refused a re-order, and the ignorant bint said she'd have to ring the owner to refund. Poor oul Cyril came in, offered me food, extra everything, profuse apologies, next meal free etc. I declined cos I was just so pissed off with the food and yer wan.

Anyway, Cyril gave me my money and *insisted* I accept a bottle of wine and asked me not to hold the episode against them. It almost ended up with me apologising!

Lapin wrote: »
    You were very generous indeed and you shouldn't have been.
    Perhaps you should have offered to to pay for the tea (as it wasn't included in the special menu) but thats all.

When ordering a meal you are paying for the product in its entirety. If part of it is inadequate (within reason of course,) you should expect a full refund.

The fact that the chef offered to cook you another meal is not good enough as the experience had already left a bad taste in your mouth - Literally.

I'm not familiar with the restaurant in question but judging by the reviews above, I won't be in a hurry to go there.

Yeah, you're probably right, but as the older person had eaten a few mouthfuls and some chips (and had a cold) AND I was mindful that they were embarrassed (as a lot of older generation are with any kind of conflict like this), so I went straight to the compromise option to try to end the whole thing quickly. Well I was wrong about that, and yer man was not even willing to do that and meet us half way, and only did as two people were coming in and wanted to get us out :mad:

Worst case scenario, if he isn't the owner (and he was dead dodgy about that fact in itself) he could have even said 'I'm not allowed to refund, but I will take your details and pass them to the owner'. But no.

soundbyte wrote: »
    Personally, in this situation, I'd pop in sometime and tell the owner I will *never* visit again.

It can backfire though, I remember getting a takeaway in Conlons a few years ago. Ended up driving the whole way back in from knocknacarra because the food was a disgrace (cod and chips x 2). Went in, complained, refused a re-order, and the ignorant bint said she'd have to ring the owner to refund. Poor oul Cyril came in, offered me food, extra everything, profuse apologies, next meal free etc. I declined cos I was just so pissed off with the food and yer wan.

Anyway, Cyril gave me my money and *insisted* I accept a bottle of wine and asked me not to hold the episode against them. It almost ended up with me apologising!

That was dead nice of Cyril. TBH though, everyone should be entitled, at minimum to a refund and an apology. Cyril was being a good business man (too bad they're gone). It made for a cr*p night with someone visiting and looking for a sit down after a cold walk.My friend left a message for the owner elsewhere, so we'll see if he gets in touch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Don't mean to sound out of plaice, but it sounds like you got done up like a kipper...

tman wrote: »
    Don't mean to sound out of plaice, but it sounds like you got done up like a kipper...

This is a serious matter :mad: Not really cool to be codding about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

that sounds awful, especially happening in the company of someone like the old man, I know I'd be so embarrassed if I brought my dad/grandad somewhere to eat and that happened

that guy sounds like an ass. I used to frequent the place a fair when they opened first which is 4years in march I think but it sounds like a kip now.

and the poor waitress...all this in her first 10mins of a new job...poor girl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Like other posters here, I haven't eaten there in a while. Never had a bad experience there, but things can easily go downhill in the length of time since I was last there.

Sorry about your experience OP; if that owner keeps at it though, he wont stay in business for much longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Lapin wrote: »

The fact that the chef offered to cook you another meal

Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Sounds like this place is making no effort at all. Good luck to them staying in business.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I haven't been in there in about a month and a half but have always found the food and service to be beyond reproach...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

That's disappointing. I've always recommended this place for having good quality evil fastfood but I haven't been in there in months.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Greenview

about a year ago, we started going to the Kettle of Fish, rather than McDonaghs, just to try them out... Fine at first, but after a few outings to them, we ordered our usual Cod & chips x3. Brought it home & could not understnd what type of fish we received, but other than being white in colour, it was no way near Cod. :eek:

Drove back into town with the whole order, complained about the fish. At that point, the person offered a refund for the three fish only! Well, after a few words from my better half, they gave a FULL refund. :)

Never been back since & seeing this thread, reinforces that approach!

We always know what to expect in McDonaghs, so they get our business, for excellent fish & chips! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Ya know, this makes sense.... insofar as, when Kettle of Fish first opened I heard great things.... and wondered why I was never satisfied with the food when I ate there. Mmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

I went to take a plain bite, and then realised there was a bad smell from the fish - almost chemical smelling, like nail polish remover. It was very strong and I took a second sniff. Just then my friend said that their fish smelled a bit iffy. Now while the batter on the fish was fresh, and it looked ok, the smell was really overpowering.

Does anybody know can you go further with that?

I suggested to him that he refund half our money, tbh I thought this was very generous on my part! He refused, saying 'everything was cooked fresh' (rubbish again).

he threw half the money at us and tried to hush the conversation as two new customers came in.

Sorry to hear about your experience OP, personally I hate fish I cant stand the sight/smell of it but if I was in your shoes id have demanded a full refund and since he tried to hush the conversation I would have not done so.

Weird thing is I do enjoy fishing :pac:

One thing that completely put me off the place was,i had a friend up visiting,i recommended there for a munch.

My mate ordered a burger,to which they reheated the meat in the microwave and then proceeded to put it into the bun and dressing. I was disgusted.

Steyr wrote: »
    Does anybody know can you go further with that?

Sorry to hear about your experience OP, personally I hate fish I cant stand the sight/smell of it but if I was in your shoes id have demanded a full refund and since he tried to hush the conversation I would have not done so.
    Weird thing is I do enjoy fishing :pac:

if you catch a bunch of fish I'll buy them off ya if ya do me a deal so! ;)
    yeah, absolutely if I was on my own, would have stood my ground and asked for full refund.
    Only for the older person there and I was trying to keep
    the exchange low key, but they didn't even have the decency to do that!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

If that had happened to me i damm well would of got my full refund, also call the health inspector, actually i might call them myself on Monday, its high time these sort of buisness were closed down.

If that had happened to me i damm well would of got my full refund, also call the health inspector, actually i might call them myself on Monday, its high time these sort of buisness were closed down.

Not sure under what grounds I could complain to health inspector at *this* stage. I have a strong stomach, but did feel a bit iffy. Didn't take piece of fish with me, and fish can smell and be off without actually giving you full on food poisoning. Could even have been freezer burn or picked up a smell if improperly stored. Wasn't edible to me though.

Not sure under what grounds I could complain to health inspector at *this* stage. .

An EHO would arrive un-announced anyway.

• Advertisement

if you catch a bunch of fish I'll buy them off ya if ya do me a deal so! ;)

For FREE.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement