Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best chippers...

• 17-12-2010 10:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Once every couple of months, I allow myself a good feed of fish & chips with the occasional battered sausage or onion rings,

I usually get them at Luigis in Parnell St., across from the Railway Station.

My last couple of visits resulted in poor fare but on both occasion I'd had a few beers & based on very positive results in the past I made allowances.

Tonight, sober as a judge, I ordered fresh Cod, large chips, onion rings & a sausage. The whole thing was GROSS!!! The cod (about €4.00) was inedible. The rest wasn't much better. Anyone had similar experiences at Luigis?? Anyone recommend a decent chipper in Limerick City??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Golden Grill was always my favorite for a big fat
    greasey chips. As a Kid was brought they every Saturday
    by my Grandmother for a big feed. (either that or I got a kiddy meal from the place in Dunnes stores) When I grew up it was always a great place to do a quick nip in and out for a salty wet bag of pure junk food.

Followed by Donkey Ford's, was more of an evening chipper
    where the family would get take away and bring it back home to eat wrapped in newspaper and later non-printed newspaper.

After than it would be Luigi's, O'Connell Grill,
    which was more of a whenever the Mother felt like a bag
    and was passing in the car she would park outside the window and get some grub.

the more modern Slattery's on Fr. Russell rd or ballycummin village are tasty too. Have the stuffing, curry and chips and various other stuff that its probably not good for you but sure tastes gooooooddddd....

Almost forgot the Legendary Garlic Chips and Cheese from the Lobster Pot! AWESOME!!!
    the place smelt like **** when you walked in the door but by god the food was fantastic and cheap!
    ~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I used to like Luigi's, but it does seem to have gone off a bit lately.

Enzo's is definitely the nicest for chips, but you can't get onion rings there unfortunately :(

Bullets, I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with you on Slattery's. I don't like it at all. I think the chips are always half raw. Superbites in Dooradoyle (near Collins' pub) isn't too bad either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,280 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Fusco's behind the Market's Field in Garryowen are always decent. Rio's aren't bad either.

Donkey Ford's and Golden Grill have gone down hill for me in the last couple of years. It's more a case of do you want chips with your greece with them imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Frusco's and Slattery's would have to be my faves. I still miss Bogart's :(

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Enzo's is by far the best in Limerick

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Enzo's in Ennis FTW :)

Did not know Superbites even existed but good to know now
    so I can check out the place.

Enzo's I've only tried 2-3 times but thought stuff was only ok. Their garlic chips and cheese was dreadful for take away
    getting some horrible sour dip substance in a Styrofoam cup
    for the sauce vs a nice long container with a thick creamy garlic mayo covered with red-cheddar grated cheese offered by other chippers. Also staff there on occasion were perving at my GF in a bit OTT way which is a -minus

I dont know Fusco's behind the Market's Field in Garryowen
    at all, would be curious to know how many years they have been about.

Where is Rio's ?

Was never a fan of Bogarts at the back of Raheen food stores. Dont know if the place is a chipper or a Chinese or a laundry or video rental place as I have not passed near the place in years and the unit it was in or the unit beside it has made many changes over the years.

~B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Apparently Superbites was closed down a few times on health grounds, no idea how true that is.

Rio's is on Parnell Street and in Castletroy just down from the Hurlers pub...T'wud be my preference anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,280 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Fusco's must be there 10 years or so. The are situated between Garryowen Stores and The Track (formally called The Black Battery) bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Chicken Hut gravy.......drool

Not the best spot to start an argument in the early hours of a weekend morning I admit, but that gravy is legendary

• Advertisement

Here is another one to throw out into the mix!!

Mike and Katie's chipper upper Henry Street just off O'Curry street, near the mechanics was an ultra ultra danger zone...
    ... chances were when they were still open you would obtain
    a bag of chips where the crispy shell of the chips only contained oil.

~B

bazz26 wrote: »
    Fusco's must be there 10 years or so. The are situated between Garryowen Stores and The Track (formally called The Black Battery) bar.

I've fond memories of the Black Battery as a kid, if my family was due to visit the grandparents in Killmurry court and not finding grandpa at home the next stop was the Battery where the ol fool was buying rounds for almost perfect strangers. Many a time as a child I got an ol Puff of a fag, a sip of his drink, a Pink or Purple snack, followed by a trip to Nosey's Newsagents/Shop round the corner for a few sweets.

~B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

bullets wrote: »

Mike and Katie's chipper upper Henry Street just off O'Curry street, near the mechanics was an ultra ultra danger zone...

~B

Ha, useda live near them back in the day, cant recall goin there too often though! Are they still open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Ha, useda live near them back in the day, cant recall goin there too often though! Are they still open?

They shut up shop about three years ago now, there is a pizza kebab and fish and chip shop there.

stopped going to luigi's about 4 years ago due to grumpy looking staff and ganky food. Rio's a few doors down are daycent, 1:50 for a big bag of chips, and 2:50 for a fine curry chip ain't bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

bullets wrote: »

~B

They are no longer Mike and Kates, and have new owners and the chips there are amazing now. Big hand cut chips that taste really fresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Chicken Hut gravy.......drool

not a patch on the kfc gravy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Rio's in Castletroy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭irishleedsfan

Fredas in Kileely is a lovely chips and battered sausage. I think its now better than donkeys. Agree with earlier poster that the golden grill is smashing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Apparently Superbites was closed down a few times on health grounds, no idea how true that is.

Was it definitely Superbites Neon? They're not actually open that long. There was another place there before them, and I think that was closed alright.

A bit off topic, but apparently The Centrepiece in the Crescent SC was closed on health grounds.

A bit off topic, but apparently The Centrepiece in the Crescent SC was closed on health grounds.

another mention of the place here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69053256&postcount=360

~B

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

I used to like Luigi's, but it does seem to have gone off a bit lately.

Enzo's is definitely the nicest for chips, but you can't get onion rings there unfortunately :(

Bullets, I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with you on Slattery's. I don't like it at all. I think the chips are always half raw. Superbites in Dooradoyle (near Collins' pub) isn't too bad either.
    Is that Enzo's up behind the market? Can't say I think much of the place, it used to be class but unfortunately the previous owner passed away and since then it has gone down hill a good bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Mc Love wrote: »
    not a patch on the kfc gravy

Shun the heretic!!:mad::D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

i was in Enzo's yesterday evening for sit-in fish supper. I was sitting at the round table opposite the walk in part of the kitchen. I really wasn't impressed with a lot of disregard to good hygenic practice on a number of issues in the kitchen. The staff were gruff and wearing ill fitting and dirty belly tops.

On the plus side the whiting fish was very nice and for that with chips, bread and a pot of tea for 9 quid wasn't bad. But the bad practices in the kitchen and general scruffiness of the staff means it's off my list of returns.

Off to Chiken Hut right now...excited:D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Is that Enzo's up behind the market? Can't say I think much of the place, it used to be class but unfortunately the previous owner passed away and since then it has gone down hill a good bit.

No, that's Lazio's at the market. Had fish & chips from there yesterday and they were gorgeous :p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

The place in Grove Island is very good...can't remember the name!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

Donkeys chips & battered sausage are the nicest in town. Slatterys on Fr Russell road does a nice quarter pounder & onion rings and the place in Mungret does a lovely kebab but their chips are kicked. Actually to be fair its months since ive had anything from any of them but they were lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

Anyone remember Naughtons on Parnell St, lovely food back in the 80's and let's not forget Greasy Joe's in Edward St, now called the Yellow something or other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Was it definitely Superbites Neon? They're not actually open that long. There was another place there before them, and I think that was closed alright.

Maybe not superbites no, but whatever establishment operated in that premises before perhaps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Anyone remember Naughtons on Parnell St, lovely food back in the 80's and let's not forget Greasy Joe's in Edward St, now called the Yellow something or other.

The Yellow Road chipper was a nice place too now that you mention it. I think it closed recently though.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Pacifico wrote: »
    The place in Grove Island is very good...can't remember the name!

You're going to kick yourself. It's called the "Grove Island Chipper".

I have his name in my phone somewhere. Oddball but I respect what he does because his intentions are good. Freshly cut chips and fresh food. Whether it tastes nice is another story. Never eaten out of there.

The place that is now where Mike & Kays was is called Golden Pizza. They are bunch of mad brothers who have places in Sixmilebridge, Ennis, Galway and Tuam as well. I liked doing business with them because it was CASH ONLY!

I was reading this thread to my missus and she said "yeah those feckin perverts in Enzos always perv over me. God Damn Italians" So bullets, tell your missus she is not going mad and/or you.

Fuscos in Garryowen is ok for food I guess but anybody notice how mad the girl behind the counter is. She takes up to 15 orders without writing them down and always remembers when you arrive to the till what you ordered etc. :confused:

Dinner Box, Gravy & Coke in the Chicken Hut FTW. A little secret Michael(owner) doesnt tell people is that he sells his secret breading recipe to other chippers are the county and in Cork.

I have been asked by "herself" to mention Rossis in Charleville. Well worth a trip out there for a bag of chips. :D

Rios is ok but I got sick twice after food there. I would probably give it one more try and if it happened again that would be it. :mad:

Advertisement