Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best chippers...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

h3000 wrote: »
    The Yellow Road chipper was a nice place too now that you mention it. I think it closed recently though.

I have it, from good authority, that the Yellow Road Chipper is being re-opened. Whether or not it will be the same type of business who knows.

It "could" be the Snack Shack though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Berty wrote: »

Dinner Box, Gravy & Coke in the Chicken Hut FTW.

drool-for-sale.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Gen2

I have it, from good authority, that the Yellow Road Chipper is being re-opened. Whether or not it will be the same type of business who knows.

It "could" be the Snack Shack though.

Possibly being re-opened but not under the same manager :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

The place that is now where Mike & Kays was is called Golden Pizza. They are bunch of mad brothers who have places in Sixmilebridge, Ennis, Galway and Tuam as well. I liked doing business with them because it was CASH ONLY!

Was in there last night and the name is now The Hot Spot. A couple of foreign lads seem to be running it now (might be the same brothers you mention), and they are dead sound to yap with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Cherrycoke wrote: »
    No, that's Lazio's at the market. Had fish & chips from there yesterday and they were gorgeous :p:p

Cafe Lazio. That's there nearly 15years i'd say

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

As the Chicken Hut's beside the hotel I stay in and I'd read about it on here I popped in yesterday evening.

First impression was "this looks like bike courier's base office". Blue with flashes of yellow with a desk and a hatch...but mostly blue. Blue lights? Or white lights bouncing off the walls and making everything (including my food) look blue.

Snack box, sauce and a coke. Snack box contents did nothing for me other than put me off blue snack boxes for life, the suace was...salty sauce, lacking interestingness (other than its blue hue). A can of Coke is usually a safe enough bet...not here. I'd to clean the can with a napkin (which I'd to ask for and wait a while) as it had dried hardened gunk covering the lid.

I'd to settle for a few bags of crisps and a big bag of Maltesers on the hotel bed to get over the experience.

I left the contents glowing bluey on the previously uncleaned table. I kept the napkins, they must be precious as they don't like giving them out.

HERETIC

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

HERETIC

And an ocassional blow-in heretic at that! Worse again!

But I've a new business in Limerick and I'm going to be in and out of the city now and want to try as many local places as possible. I really don't mean to offend, it's a cracking city. I'm just throwing my impartial and unbiased opinion.

If it's any consolation I recommend all the bad places in Dublin...becuase I like'm...:pac:.

If you have jobs in said new business then please post them here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055985353

There are a lot of good boardsies who would be on the lookout for a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Chicken Hut is one of those Limerick things that you cant say a bad word about but it really is a dump!

Not in Limerick but if anyone is venturing to Nenagh - try Mama's in the center of Nenagh - really good battered sausage and chips

Naughton's in Kilkee is another great place (only mentioning it as we all know its Limerick's Costa Del Sol :D )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Kess73 wrote: »
    Was in there last night and the name is now The Hot Spot. A couple of foreign lads seem to be running it now (might be the same brothers you mention), and they are dead sound to yap with.

I think it's called Hot Corner.

Speaking of kebab places, does anyone know how the Kashmir Kebab place in Thomondgate is doing? I passed it the other day and the shutters were down, whereas two weeks previously after the Munster v Cardiff game they were doing a good trade, they were giving out free vegetable soup with every order, great idea on a cold winter's evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

The place down the road by the bookies is a kebab\pizza place now, so maybe it is'nt doing so well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

well, the rubberbandits mention the chicken hut in bags of glue, so whether you want to take that as a good sign or not is up to you.

I had a gravy chip there last week. Lovely, but I had to scan the area before I went in to see if it was safe to stand in the queue.

I hear about the chipper in nenagh. supposed to be lovely....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

humberklog wrote: »
    As the Chicken Hut's beside the hotel I stay in and I'd read about it on here I popped in yesterday evening.

First impression was "this looks like bike courier's base office". Blue with flashes of yellow with a desk and a hatch...but mostly blue. Blue lights? Or white lights bouncing off the walls and making everything (including my food) look blue.

Snack box, sauce and a coke. Snack box contents did nothing for me other than put me off blue snack boxes for life, the suace was...salty sauce, lacking interestingness (other than its blue hue). A can of Coke is usually a safe enough bet...not here. I'd to clean the can with a napkin (which I'd to ask for and wait a while) as it had dried hardened gunk covering the lid.

I'd to settle for a few bags of crisps and a big bag of Maltesers on the hotel bed to get over the experience.

I left the contents glowing bluey on the previously uncleaned table. I kept the napkins, they must be precious as they don't like giving them out.

speaking ill of the chicken hut should get you banned from the limerick board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

the chicken huit is one of those limerick things alright that no-one is allowed speak ill off.

But the Dub is right, it is rank and always has been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭sioda

Chicken hut chicken fillet burger is one of the best in existence imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭electron

nah, chicken hut is pointless :D
    but seriously, why are so many of them places so badly maintained. take PJ's Plaice for example. made the mistake of going there once and the whole place reaked of filth. including the staff i'm afraid. i ended up throwing away the food :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

A buddy of mine was singing lead in a Cure tribute band in
    baker place recently and after the gig ended myself and herself were hanging for a bag of chips and the nearest taxi home, went into some place round the corner cant remember the name of it, but I've never tasted worse food in my life.

I got a battered sausage the Batter was a Red colour
    and whatever was underneath my not have been sausage.
    The chips I may has well have gulped down a bottle of oil.
    Never again. interesting enough bakers bar has not changed in a decade since the last time I was in there its still a ****hole but did have a very attractive bar maid.

~B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

vkid wrote: »
    the chicken huit is one of those limerick things alright that no-one is allowed speak ill off.

But the Dub is right, it is rank and always has been.

I cant understand the attraction! :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 BogPony

Fredas in Kileely is a lovely chips and battered sausage. I think its now better than donkeys. Agree with earlier poster that the golden grill is smashing :D

I was hoping someone would mention that place. The only thing I hate about going there is the wait BUT it's always worth it. You're always bound to get a laugh out of some young fella's in the queue too. They'll be about 10 going on 80.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Gen2

There's also Perrozzis in NCW, fantastic pizza and chips :)

Gen2 wrote: »
    There's also Perrozzis in NCW, fantastic pizza and chips :)

papa gino's is the best pizza though

Mc Love wrote: »
    I cant understand the attraction! :confused:

Oh come on. Sitting in a glass room on the corner of a busy junction with greasy chicken dripping down your chin whilst you contemplate how to take little sips from the can of coke because clearly there is not enough liquid to wash down the feast.

Whilst you know in your head all the people sitting on Roches Street in traffic are looking at you savaging a dead chicken in awe at your prowess.

You can also sit upstairs, if they bothered to clean it, whilst some scangballs jump from table to table.

Institution young man, that's what it is.

Oh come on. Sitting in a glass room on the corner of a busy junction with greasy chicken dripping down your chin whilst you contemplate how to take little sips from the can of coke because clearly there is not enough liquid to wash down the feast.

Whilst you know in your head all the people sitting on Roches Street in traffic are looking at you savaging a dead chicken in awe at your prowess.

You can also sit upstairs, if they bothered to clean it, whilst some scangballs jump from table to table.

Institution young man, that's what it is.

yes lads "I was that soldier"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Foods definately gone down a bit in there the past few years, chips were always crap but the gravy covered that up. Gravy and the chicken were unbeatable, the skins lost its taste and is a bit too soggy. Was at its best though when it was Pat graces.

Foods definately gone down a bit in there the past few years, chips were always crap but the gravy covered that up. Gravy and the chicken were unbeatable, the skins lost its taste and is a bit too soggy. Was at its best though when it was Pat graces.

the chicken really needs that gravy for some reason. any idea how they make it...... or maybe I don't need to know. A lad I work with said you would never fly again if you turned left at the door of the plane as saw he pilots..............

I remember when I sold the Chicken Hut their current fryer and the owner was very concerned about the difference in the way the chips were going to cook. You would think that the same chips + the same temperature were going to give the same outcome but they don't. Anyway I spent hours trying to ensure that the chips were the same way the always were which although wasn't perfect was what people liked. :o

It's the same fryer that's still in there right now actually. :D Pride of the fleet and it wasn't cheap either. He bought the best fryer he could for the space he had to be fair.

ALL FOR YOU UNGRATEFUL B*STARDS!! :mad:

I remember when I sold the Chicken Hut their current fryer and the owner was very concerned about the difference in the way the chips were going to cook. You would think that the same chips + the same temperature were going to give the same outcome but they don't. Anyway I spent hours trying to ensure that the chips were the same way the always were which although wasn't perfect was what people liked. :o

It's the same fryer that's still in there right now actually. :D Pride of the fleet and it wasn't cheap either. He bought the best fryer he could for the space he had to be fair.

ALL FOR YOU UNGRATEFUL B*STARDS!! :mad:

the chips wouldn't be my thing berty, where else you sell to and we'll rate them

the chips wouldn't be my thing berty, where else you sell to and we'll rate them

Supermacs use the same Fryer. McDonalds use the same fryer but with a little twist and they called the LOVE fryers.

Or the Asylum Centre in Knocklasheen.

Fryers made by Henny Penny. Most places that do fried chicken use the Henny Penny Pressure Fryer but the Chicken hut bought ones maybe 15 years ago that are built like tanks which will last a lot longer yet I'd say. :D

• Advertisement

Supermacs use the same Fryer. McDonalds use the same fryer but with a little twist and they called the LOVE fryers.

Or the Asylum Centre in Knocklasheen.

Fryers made by Henny Penny. Most places that do fried chicken use the Henny Penny Pressure Fryer but the Chicken hut bought ones maybe 15 years ago that are built like tanks which will last a lot longer yet I'd say. :D

is that a single fryer just for chicken?

Advertisement