Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford taxi drivers

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

uncle-mofo wrote: »
    That's their job though?

Is it really. I would work in a take-away, but I wouldn't work at 2.30 in the morning.

I've no problem with them not working those hours, though I can see why you would be annoyed at their complaining about a lack of customers during the 'nice' hours.

Maybe there is a market for a plastic taxi. It would have Ryanair style plastic seats so if someone pukes in your vehicle you could hose it out in no time. Also maybe a separate compartment for passengers like in a London cab for security.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

uncle-mofo wrote: »
    That's their job though? I don't understand why they're saying theres too many taxi drivers when the last two weekends I've been waiting about 2 hours for a taxi. That place is an absolute gold mine. If anyones wondering the best way to get a taxi is to walk out past Harveys towards the Cork road and you've got a better chance of flagging one down.
    Walk up towards the Mansion house and you get the taxis that are coming back in from the Dunmore Road AND Johns Park area of town. Taxis prefer to pick up here because they don't have to navigate the chaos that is the middle of town at that hour. I've often seen a massive queue outside the Rapid Cabs office only to hop into one 2 minutes later outside the Mansion and seeing message alerts pop up on their dashboard displays pleading with everyone to drive back to the office for jobs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

seen a taxi driver dressed up as santy clause tonight parked in the apple market rank :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I know that some Taxi Drivers chose to avoid the night club run because either they get too much abuse, get their cars covered in vomit/takeaway or worse again ...urine. I know a taxi driver - and for him the biggest problem with the nightclub run is that at least once a month someone wets the seat. 99% of the time it is females between the age of 18-25. Takes time and money to clean that mess up and it's pretty embarassing for all concerned to have to call to their door for the soiling charge the next day.

Agree with poster above, if you want a cab after a nightclub at this time of year, easiest thing is to walk a little bit out of town and flag one down. Taxi's prefer that themselves because there tends to be a lot of fights breaking out at the ranks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

If a fare goes over the € mark, ie €6.05 or €6.30 etc are they entitled to round it up to €7

• Advertisement

danjo-xx wrote: »
    If a fare goes over the € mark, ie €6.05 or €6.30 etc are they entitled to round it up to €7
    No.

The regulator sets maximum fares. They can round it down. I don't know what obligation they have to carry change.

Anyway, I hope they all have a happy Christmas and Santa brings them what they want (maybe some pine air freshners :D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Serious problems with the taxi drivers in the train station blocking up the place. They literally drive as far as the pedestrian crossing and then sit there until another taxi pulls out of the designated taxi area, blocking the entrance for people coming in and going out and also blocking the pedestrian crossing. Because of the layout of the area outside the station you have no choice but to drive into the station and turn around in there, it's not as though if the entrance is blocked you can just reverse and pull up elsewhere.

Also, I live a 7 minute drive from the train station and have only once managed to get a taxi driver to bring me home from either town or the train station because they refuse to go out that way because it's very unlikely they'll pick up a fare on the way back.:confused:

Also, I got a taxi home (when I lived in Dublin) and when we got to the house the taxi driver didn't have change of €50, the fare came to €27, so he insisted we drive a further 10 minutes down the road to the garage and me go in and get change and then he would bring me back to the house. When I got back into the car after getting change he asked if I'd mind just walking back (it was lashing rain and i had two huge bags with me) and then when we got back to my house, he wanted to add on the fare from my house to the garage, had a huge argument with him and he eventually gave in and his parting words were "i'll never pick up the likes of you again you c***".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

he didnt have 23 euro on him? odd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Serious problems with the taxi drivers in the train station blocking up the place. They literally drive as far as the pedestrian crossing and then sit there until another taxi pulls out of the designated taxi area, blocking the entrance for people coming in and going out and also blocking the pedestrian crossing. Because of the layout of the area outside the station you have no choice but to drive into the station and turn around in there, it's not as though if the entrance is blocked you can just reverse and pull up elsewhere.

Also, I live a 7 minute drive from the train station and have only once managed to get a taxi driver to bring me home from either town or the train station because they refuse to go out that way because it's very unlikely they'll pick up a fare on the way back.:confused:

Also, I got a taxi home (when I lived in Dublin) and when we got to the house the taxi driver didn't have change of €50, the fare came to €27, so he insisted we drive a further 10 minutes down the road to the garage and me go in and get change and then he would bring me back to the house. When I got back into the car after getting change he asked if I'd mind just walking back (it was lashing rain and i had two huge bags with me) and then when we got back to my house, he wanted to add on the fare from my house to the garage, had a huge argument with him and he eventually gave in and his parting words were "i'll never pick up the likes of you again you c***".

You should have spat in his face.
    Stories like these make me feel not so bad for drunkenly kicking a taxi once :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I only have one negative story on a waterford taxi driver, the gardai were called to adjudicate (by the taxi driver) in our dispute which i found totally unnecessary but they were just as pissed off with the taxi driver for wasting there time as i was with him trying to overcharge me so they took my side and told him to cop on basically and not to ring them again unless it was serious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭Mooley22

My brother went to get into a taxi at the rank outside istanbul on sunday night and when he asked to go to ferrybank the taxi driver said he wasnt going to ferrybank he was waiting for a somone who wanted to go to woodstown or somewhere like that.He then refused to bring him and told him to get into another taxi.Now surely if a taxi is parked on the rank looking for a fare they can't refuse people just because they wont be making enough money off them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Mooley22 wrote: »
    My brother went to get into a taxi at the rank outside istanbul on sunday night and when he asked to go to ferrybank the taxi driver said he wasnt going to ferrybank he was waiting for a somone who wanted to go to woodstown or somewhere like that.He then refused to bring him and told him to get into another taxi.Now surely if a taxi is parked on the rank looking for a fare they can't refuse people just because they wont be making enough money off them?

Yes, if the fare is within I believe it's 20 miles they have to by law bring you. Next tine tell your brother to ask for their taxi number. I have had an awful time over the years getting a taxi out to Kilmacthomas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭newportwex

Mooley22 wrote: »

:eek::eek: How in God's name did he expect to get a taxi from Istanbul to Ferrybank? I'd understand if it was just to the airport but c'mon...surprised he'd even heard of Ferrybank to be honest...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭Mooley22

newportwex wrote: »
    :eek::eek: How in God's name did he expect to get a taxi from Istanbul to Ferrybank? I'd understand if it was just to the airport but c'mon...surprised he'd even heard of Ferrybank to be honest...

There's always one isnt there lol

Is there a complete list of Taxi phone numbers for Waterford?

I got a bit annoyed with a taxi driver today. I don't want to go through the hassle of reporting him (and I didn't argue with him, just gave some disinterested monosyllable responses to his ramblings), but I don't want to take a taxi with him again.

The only thing is he was with one of the 'big' local taxi firms, and most of the drivers with that company have been grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Rapid Cabs: 85 85 85
    A1 Cabs: 851000
    Premier: 373 373

They would be the largest anyway.

Thanks for that.

I find the vast majority of taxi drivers are grand. It would be a good marketing idea though for a firm to say 'all our drivers are trained to bring you to your location, and with boring you with their opinions on non-nationals and the last government'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

I use 331033 and never had any bother with them. Also found them pleasant and friendly. But I suppose each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Anyone notice the chaos with taxis on johns street when they are there early in the night, whole road is blocked by them.

Was it my imagination or did I spot a rank outside espresso

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭ILoveShoez

Nypd wrote: »
    Anyone notice the chaos with taxis on johns street when they are there early in the night, whole road is blocked by them.

Was it my imagination or did I spot a rank outside espresso

You are spot on - there is a rank there -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭daaave

alot of drivers will have their private phone which they work off and only sit at ranks when work is slack-if you get a cab with one of these guys and are satisfied with the service,you should get their number.

always have a 2nd number stored in your phone from a similar driver incase 1st driver is swamped.

i've never been waiting longer than 15 mins on a cab since i've done this-having said that,its rare i get out on a saturday night which is probably a different animal altogether.

i have to say i do a bit of hackney work in tramore and i have little sympathy for those crying for more work in town when they leave you stranded half a mile from your final destination/rounding up fares etc.

also since your cab is your no.1 asset why not have leather seats to ensure faster turn-around of your cab for business in the instance of soiling-also have a spare set of car mats and some cleaning agents etc. stored in the boot.

i've had one person get sick before but 20 mins later i'm back in action-and NO i didn't try enforce a soiling charge however the culprit did offer 40euro to compensate time lost and the horrible task of cleaning somebody's vomit.

tip. you are NOT obliged to use the first taxi parked at the rank if for whatever reason you're not happy with the look of the car/driver etc.
    people shouldn't have to put up with substandard services like what i've read from previous posts-contact the taxi regulator with the driver's badge no. if they have seriously under-performed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I won't go into my hatred for taxi's (not specifically the drivers), as it will take too long and i'll probably get banned (and yes, i realize they're not all like that).

However, i would like to add the following:
    A taxi driver may reasonably refuse:

To undertake journeys of more than 30km;
    To allow passengers to consume food or drink in the vehicle;
    To carry, or continue to carry, passengers who are acting in a disorderly, abusive or offensive manner; and
    To carry, or continue to carry, passengers who are likely to soil or damage the vehicle.

And don't get me started on how they think that they can just block a road... :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I think Taxi Drivers like truck drivers are by the mostly courteous to other drivers as they drive for a living. I do have a problem with so called taxi drivers who dont know where they are going. A taxi driver should need to pass a exam of local street and area knowledge, like London. Giving a taxi to anyone with a sat-nav is ridiculous and bound to cause trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭daaave

Max Powers wrote: »
    I think Taxi Drivers like truck drivers are by the mostly courteous to other drivers as they drive for a living. I do have a problem with so called taxi drivers who dont know where they are going. A taxi driver should need to pass a exam of local street and area knowledge, like London. Giving a taxi to anyone with a sat-nav is ridiculous and bound to cause trouble

you now do have to pass 2 tests-industry based exam and area knowledge exam for the area you intend to work. last year i remember reading that there was a 91% failure rate on area knowledge exams for people sitting the test for the first time.

however,those who already held psv licences before regulation was introduced do not have to sit the area knowledge exam.the arguement being that those in the business know it all already:cool:

Advertisement