Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor EDGE Coverage Improving

Options
  • 17-12-2010 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

Getting EDGE in Tralee where I used to get GPRS. There's a small patch of 3G coverage so I assume the backbone of the network was improved. Many areas still have GPRS however...but there's alot more EDGE than 3G. Have there been any EDGE improvements in any of the GPRS areas eg. West Limerick, West Cork, West Clare, West Galway and Sligo?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Maental2000

Adro947 wrote: »
    Getting EDGE in Tralee where I used to get GPRS. There's a small patch of 3G coverage so I assume the backbone of the network was improved. Many areas still have GPRS however...but there's alot more EDGE than 3G. Have there been any EDGE improvements in any of the GPRS areas eg. West Limerick, West Cork, West Clare, West Galway and Sligo?

I was in the meteor store in Tralee a few weeks ago and the guy there told me that Tralee was finally getting 3g coverage from the 10th of December...I take it they didn't have it up and running by then or else you would have noticed this improvement sooner...

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

I was in the meteor store in Tralee a few weeks ago and the guy there told me that Tralee was finally getting 3g coverage from the 10th of December...I take it they didn't have it up and running by then or else you would have noticed this improvement sooner...

It wouldn't have been far off, noticed this last Wednesday. 3G coverage around town is still poor though. Probably only one site enabled so far.

Adro947 wrote: »
    It wouldn't have been far off, noticed this last Wednesday. 3G coverage around town is still poor though. Probably only one site enabled so far.

Oh really?? I'm on 3 at the moment and was thinking of switching back to meteor when I heard this but if it's not that great then I'd be going mad especially if I get a bill phone 'cos I'd be locked in a contract!
    Plus meteor haven't even updated their coverage map on their website, not a good sign really..

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

Normally after they upgrade the relevant town to 3g it will be a few months before meteor will the launch the service there.

For example Sligo had 3g for 2 months, Ericsson their vendor will test the equipment and drive test area for a number of weeks, once no faults are found Ericsson hand the sites over to meteor, could be a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Normally after they upgrade the relevant town to 3g it will be a few months before meteor will the launch the service there.

For example Sligo had 3g for 2 months, Ericsson their vendor will test the equipment and drive test area for a number of weeks, once no faults are found Ericsson hand the sites over to meteor, could be a while.

Any improvements in EDGE coverage in Sligo? And relevant or not the 3G coverage has improved alot today.

• Advertisement

Really? That's good to hear cos that's the way it should be. On the other hand though, the meteor store in Tralee has already started selling mobile broadband.
    On 3, it's free for me to browse on their homepage....is it the same on meteor? Or do they start charging for data from the second you launch the browser?

Advertisement