Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R.I.P Captain Beefheart

Options
  • 17-12-2010 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭

Rolling Stone just confirmed on twitter
    http://twitter.com/RollingStone/
    Dec 17 2010 04:45 PM ET

Captain Beefheart, a.k.a. Don Van Vliet, dies at 69
    by Simon Vozick-Levinson
    Categories: In Memoriam

Avant-garde rock legend and visual artist Don Van Vliet, who performed under the name Captain Beefheart, passed away today at age 69. A representative of New York City’s Michael Werner Gallery, which hosted several shows of his paintings, confirms the sad news to EW. Van Vliet died of complications from multiple sclerosis at a hospital in Northern California.
    http://music-mix.ew.com/2010/12/17/captain-beefheart-dies/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

:( I'd just gotten into Captain Beefheart this year. I have Trout Mask Replica, Safe as Milk and Ice Cream for Crow, and was looking forward to investigating more of his stuff.

Obviously it's sad that he's gone but by all accounts he hadn't been well for a few years. So at least it's good that he's not ill anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Obviously it's sad that he's gone but by all accounts he hadn't been well for a few years.

This is true. Also, AFAIK, he had become a recluse in recent years and had only been seen by a handful of people in that time.

He will be sadly missed.

R.I.P. Captain .

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

RIP...may he go fast n' bulbous into the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12024652

Just saw this myself on the bbc website ,my brother got me into Captain Beefheart and HIS debt albuM , Safe as Milk is classic

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

There goes another one of the greats.

R.I.P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21voUGVzym4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Damn shame, picked up Safe As Milk earlier this year as an intro to his music, some seriously funky stuff on that album. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭higamos hogamos

RIP

The coolest musician who ever lived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭higamos hogamos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Orange Claw Hammer.A true classic.Sleep well Captain.You sailed good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

:( Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

indeed, this is bad news

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Real shame, I hope he wasn't in too much pain towards the end.

I remember coming across him in my teens, I didn't really "get it" but I liked it... a few years later when I did finally "get it" he became one of my all time favourites.

He left behind a fantastic body of work, timeless stuff too.

Moonlight on Vermont and Autumn Child stand out as two of the greatest songs ever written, im-very-ho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

one of the very greats .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

); how does it feel to be driftin away from your own steering wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

RIP Don.

Unconditionally Guaranteed was my fav album.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

:( Died on my birthday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQP9QjNjeR4&feature=related

Great song Rip
    I always liked the song about a vain girlfriend he once had: "She's too much for my mirror".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

RTÉ haven't heard about this yet... or maybe they have but just didn't know who he was... from an organisation that goes into a week's mourning if a boy band member says adieu...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Goddammit, I loved that man and his music, indeed a huge loss to music.

RIP Captain Beefheart... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Dan Dare

Teclo wrote: »
    RTÉ haven't heard about this yet... or maybe they have but just didn't know who he was... from an organisation that goes into a week's mourning if a boy band member says adieu...

RTE were exactly the same when Syd Barrett died in 2006 and Rick Wright died in 2008. In contrast to the BBC.

I have Trout Mask Replica and a copy of the (much derided by hardcore fans) From Moonbeams to Blue Jeans.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

I loved his voice in frank Zappa's song "Willie the pimp"
    R.I.P.

Teclo wrote: »
    Dan Dare wrote: »
    RTE were exactly the same when Syd Barrett died in 2006 and Rick Wright died in 2008. In contrast to the BBC.

Well whatever RTE do or dont do, they cant plead ignorance, as I have emailed them asking if they are going to do a tribute programme on him.

I'm not holding my breath though. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

BBC4 will be the channel to do the man justice.

R.I.P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭thenakedanddead

A brief mention on Rté ten yesterday ;)

Rigsby wrote: »
    Well whatever RTE do or dont do, they cant plead ignorance, as I have emailed them asking if they are going to do a tribute programme on him.

A brief mention on Rté ten yesterday ;)

Probably would not have even got that, but for my email. I'd say that is all, as far as RTE are concerned. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

The Guardian have been very good with Beefheart tributes, some wonderfully affectionate and detailed articles on their website this week.

Yes, he should be on every media outlet and next year should see a nomination to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but really, was it ever about that type of mainstream acceptance, it matters little, no more than when he was alive.

I’ve – understandably – been on Beefheart kick the last few days, today I’ve been playing Doc at the Radar Station, it’s so evident on that album that every decent "post-punk band" essentially ripped off/built on Beefhart's sound.

Considering that the bulk of the material on that album (1980) is based on ideas close to a decade old and that the Captain's voice was no longer as powerful as it once was (I do like that it took on this menacing weez) it’s startling just how good it is, I really enjoy the later-era magic band because amongst the usual brilliance of Beefheart they “rocked-out” too.

Angular guitars and "off-kilter" tempos might be commonplace in Rock music now, but this lad was doing it before guys like Keith Levene, Steve Albini and the Pop Group hit double figures.

Nothing – in a rock music context - stands up to Beefheart’s work.

If you have not got it already, I would recommend this book on the "Captain". I got it a few years ago, and it's a great read.

http://www.beefheart.com/zigzag/books/barnescomp.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ValJester

smokedeels wrote: »
    The Guardian have been very good with Beefheart tributes, some wonderfully affectionate and detailed articles on their website this week.

Yes, he should be on every media outlet and next year should see a nomination to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but really, was it ever about that type of mainstream acceptance, it matters little, no more than when he was alive.

I’ve – understandably – been on Beefheart kick the last few days, today I’ve been playing Doc at the Radar Station, it’s so evident on that album that every decent "post-punk band" essentially ripped off/built on Beefhart's sound.

Considering that the bulk of the material on that album (1980) is based on ideas close to a decade old and that the Captain's voice was no longer as powerful as it once was (I do like that it took on this menacing weez) it’s startling just how good it is, I really enjoy the later-era magic band because amongst the usual brilliance of Beefheart they “rocked-out” too.

Angular guitars and "off-kilter" tempos might be commonplace in Rock music now, but this lad was doing it before guys like Keith Levene, Steve Albini and the Pop Group hit double figures.

Nothing – in a rock music context - stands up to Beefheart’s work.

Pretty great article on him here
    http://www.scaruffi.com/vol1/beefhear.html#tro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭padz

aw rip, just found out great musician, bat chain pulller rocks, upon the my oh my.. thers too many to name great tunes

Advertisement