Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killiney Hill

Options
  • 17-12-2010 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Hi,

How do I get to Killiney Hill from the N11? (out of town)

I have heard it is a beautiful, romantic spot, which is what I'm looking for.
    Is it easy to get to even with the forecasted snow?

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

you will not get into the carpark if icy, its a very steep hill.
    other than that it should be ok

EDIT: the above map is wrong, doesn't actually quite bring you up to Killiney hill itself, rather just somewhere along the way
    simples-er is what you want

• Registered Users Posts: 22 mudbingo

you will not get into the carpark if icy, its a very steep hill.
    other than that it should be ok

EDIT: the above map is wrong, doesn't actually quite bring you up to Killiney hill itself, rather just somewhere along the way
    simples-er is what you want

Hi

Can you tell me about the proposal of the DLRD CoCo to introduce a parking fee in the public carpark Killiney/Victoria hill.
    A man has put a lot of effort into running the coffeeshop in the Victoria Park on Killiney Hill,-is it true that the DLRD Co Co are taking it off him???-to run themselves??

Can the council invilvement be protested against?

mudbingo wrote: »
    Hi

Can you tell me about the proposal of the DLRD CoCo to introduce a parking fee in the public carpark Killiney/Victoria hill.
    No, I can't but as long as it was cheap enough I'd fully support it, the parking up there at times is disgraceful and it if put the scumbags off driving up and hanging around at night I see no issue with it. If it allows for a little more funding to re-invest in the park it's a good thing.
    A man has put a lot of effort into running the coffeeshop in the Victoria Park on Killiney Hill,-is it true that the DLRD Co Co are taking it off him???-to run themselves??
    again, no idea. they do good coffee though :)
    That is something I would object to, but can't see the point of. The CC get rent and rates off him for the premises I'm sure so its money for no effort on their part.
    Can the council involvement be protested against?
    why? They are under obligation to manage the hill in the best interest of all. Nearly all of what they have done up there over the years has been good, look at the playground, cleaning up the obelisk and general good upkeep all round of the park :)

Councillor Donal Marron says that at present,there is no application for Parking meters for The Killiney Hill Park.
    The concession to operate the coffee shop still remains with the Mr Tom Doyle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

mudbingo wrote: »
    Councillor Donal Marron says that at present,there is no application for Parking meters for The Killiney Hill Park.
    The concession to operate the coffee shop still remains with the Mr Tom Doyle.

good. It is one of DLRCOCO's finest achievements and charging for it would he a crime. It would just lead to people parking on the surrounding roads, which would inevitably lead to them becoming pay and display.

I love Killiney hill and spend hours up there, I would rather see an annual council tax than see them ruin it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

No, I can't but as long as it was cheap enough I'd fully support it, the parking up there at times is disgraceful and it if put the scumbags off driving up and hanging around at night I see no issue with it. If it allows for a little more funding to re-invest in the park it's a good thing.
    again, no idea. they do good coffee though :)
    That is something I would object to, but can't see the point of. The CC get rent and rates off him for the premises I'm sure so its money for no effort on their part.

why? They are under obligation to manage the hill in the best interest of all. Nearly all of what they have done up there over the years has been good, look at the playground, cleaning up the obelisk and general good upkeep all round of the park :)

Might not be scumbags hanging about, possibly more to do with couples ;)

Councillors-,Donal Marron and Marie Bailey ,-have both confirmed that there is no application to the council for parking meters-and that this is now unlikely-given the popular outcry against the prospect.
    The concession for the coffee shop is until march 2011 and Tom Doyle ,the present operator would be considered in a pole position.
    at night .

As the park is Policed,-Rather than Gruff described scumbags,I agree that couples are in the park at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 double d

I am in shock that Tom's contract wasn't renewed in the coffee shop on Killiney Hill. He had a great local team employed. There was a great community gathering (mostly dog owners). I cant confirm, only Ive been informed 'Costa Coffee' were given the contract.
    Im hoping all dog owners will boycott this new coffee shop and show solidarity. The Council are a disgrace. Its also common knowledge the Council want to impose leads on dogs in the coffee shop vicinity. Killiney Hill was given to the people as a gift thus the council cant enforce dogs on leads. By imposing leads on dogs around the coffee shop at Victoria Gate, Killiney Hill, Its a sneaky back door approach to changing the title of the park thus imposing leads throught the whole hill.
    Shame on the Council. They applied their same ruthless approach to Margaret Dunne from the Heritage Center. She did all the ground work arranging historical guided walks on Killiney Hill only for the Council to remove contract and give it to a company which only stayed about a year. DEE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

If DLR Council had their way they would outlaw the owning of dogs all together.

Shame about the coffee shop, when did this happen?

• Advertisement

Its closed a little over a week. I believe the lovely stone wall adjacent to the coffee shop requires knocking to accommodate extending the building. The Council have already begun knocking trees.
    Tom and his staff created a real community on the hill. No corporate coffee company could ever create the same atmosphere. All the dog owners I spoke to have agreed to boycott the new Council 'Turncoat' coffee shop
    Its dog owners on the hill which keep the place safe. Without us, the place would become awash with unfortunate people sleeping rough, drug addicts ect. Elderly people feel safe walking alone on the hill because of the amount of dog walkers. The Council would sell their souls to the highest bidder at any cost to local welfare to make extra money. Dee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

double d wrote: »
    Without us, the place would become awash with unfortunate people sleeping rough, drug addicts ect.

Sorry but that is one of the funniest sentences I have seen in a long time.

Feel sorry for Mr Doyle. Seems bizarre to give it to Costa when there was already a coffee thing there.

Havin read it again, it does sound funny. (wht group shall I insult next eh!!!)
    Seriously though, if it is Costa Coffee getting the lease its a disgrace. The 'Mc Donalds' of coffee. Why not coat the interior/exterior of building with plastic, flashing neon lights and a compose a product jingle. Impersonal uniformed staff are another thing which always goes down well.
    Keep going Council, why not introduce people with white cars only allowed on hill Mondays. People with red cars only allowed on hill Tuesdays ect ect....
    Our society is slowly becoming a 'Police State'.
    Dee

Seriously though, if it is Costa Coffee getting the lease its a disgrace. The 'Mc Donalds' of coffee. Why not coat the interior/exterior of building with plastic, flashing neon lights and a compose a product jingle. Impersonal uniformed staff are another thing which always goes down well.
    Keep going Council, why not introduce people with white cars only allowed on hill Mondays. People with red cars only allowed on hill Tuesdays ect ect....
    Our society is slowly becoming a 'Police State'.
    Dee

LOL, you know McDonalds actually does really good coffee.
    It makes me laugh how many people on boards from Dalkey are so anti business, anti outsider crackpots who think the world revolves around Dalkey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

LOL, you know McDonalds actually does really good coffee.
    It makes me laugh how many people on boards from Dalkey are so anti business, anti outsider crackpots who think the world revolves around Dalkey

And yet, you thank a post on the thread entitled "Roadworks around Killiney Road/Glenageary" in which Seaswimmer said "I would suggest that as you live in Dalkey you should take the time to go for a walk or buy a bike and enjoy what is still a relatively unspoilt part of Dublin."

And yet, you thank a post on the thread entitled "Roadworks around Killiney Road/Glenageary" in which Seaswimmer said "I would suggest that as you live in Dalkey you should take the time to go for a walk or buy a bike and enjoy what is still a relatively unspoilt part of Dublin."

so?
    and that's not the entire post either, is it? So stop trying to twist it to suit your own agenda thanks.

so?
    and that's not the entire post either, is it? So stop trying to twist it to suit your own agenda thanks.

What agenda is this now? I don't have an agenda. I just make posts based on common sense.

What agenda is this now? I don't have an agenda. I just make posts based on common sense.
    Seaswimmer said "I would suggest that as you live in Dalkey you should take the time to go for a walk or buy a bike and enjoy what is still a relatively unspoilt part of Dublin."

so why not post the whole post rather than the bit that suits you. how do you know why I thanked the post or which part I agreed with?

so why not post the whole post rather than the bit that suits you. how do you know why I thanked the post or which part I agreed with?

Okay, I did jump the gun a bit. I apologize.:D I don't know what part you agreed to.

I agree with you that Dalkey is a haven for xenophobes and backwards people. DalkeyResident was one such poster and a text book example of this.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

We have everything within 30 minutes drive from dublin city centre.Hills,Rivers,sand & pebble beaches streams,lakes and whatever i've left out....So many Pubs you could fall out of one and into another before hitting the ground.(my orig.)

• Advertisement

Im not originally from Dalkey. I would be just as upset about any public amenity in Ireland which was becoming controlled like a police state. It just so happens I live here, yes I am privileged to live in such a lovely place.
    I find now we are in the middle of a recession, the state are inventing more and more 'police state' type governing in order to gain more revenue on fines. I bet if you look around where you live, this applies. The amount of people I know who have fines for the ridiculous ie. dog pooed in the woods, parked car wheel touching curb, owners of abandoned cars last year in the snow received parking tickets....... need I go on. Dont tell me these idiot decisions dont happen where you live.
    What are you doing about it????

Im not originally from Dalkey. I would be just as upset about any public amenity in Ireland which was becoming controlled like a police state. It just so happens I live here, yes I am privileged to live in such a lovely place.
    I find now we are in the middle of a recession, the state are inventing more and more 'police state' type governing in order to gain more revenue on fines. I bet if you look around where you live, this applies. The amount of people I know who have fines for the ridiculous ie. dog pooed in the woods, parked car wheel touching curb, owners of abandoned cars last year in the snow received parking tickets....... need I go on. Dont tell me these idiot decisions dont happen where you live.
    What are you doing about it????

You're absolutely right. Needless nit picking for a quick buck is also dishonest, especially when motorists leave their cars for safety reasons. Effectively, they are penalized for being cautious. The only exception I would make to this is if there was an obstruction on a road that is heavily used in rush hour. While I can understand fines for failing to clean up after the dog, I don't think people should have to clean up if it happens off the beaten track, in a bush or somewhere else people would ALMOST never set foot on!

Advertisement