Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1,500 trapped in mahon point

Options
  • 18-12-2010 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭

Hey a friend just told me he got a call from the RDF saying they may need to help 1,500 people get out of mahon point as its so bad up there with the weather atm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭SnowY32

Seloth wrote: »
    Hey a friend just told me he got a call from the RDF saying they may need to help 1,500 people get out of mahon point as its so bad up there with the weather atm.

are you for real????????:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I know the number 10 bus has stopped due to snow. But 1500 seems like OTT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

No idea myself,Im sitll up in college in UL but my mate just old me there hah.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Hogzy wrote: »
    I know the number 10 bus has stopped due to snow. But 1500 seems like OTT.

Have you not seen the queues of cars that go into that place?! Heard there was a crash there earlier and it was causing mayhem.

What actually is the RDF?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

The reserves.

Used to be called the FCA wasn't it?

:eek: went to the gym at about 6.30pm with a friend, came out at 8pm surprised to encounter fairly bad road conditions, under the snow was very slippy. Went from the Western Road to the Lough Church without incident, however just after the Church a car had skidded onto the other side heading down the hill, all traffic was stopped coming up the hill due to the obstruction. The lady driving the car that had skidded had L plates up and was in an awful state. I parked up and moved her car back for her (not without difficulty, it was like glass). The buddy also moved a car for another lady. Then 4 or 5 people who were stopped on the hill asked us to get them going too, so we obliged (like the nice chaps we are). Some cars needed a little push too along with starting in 2nd gear but everyone got going ok, many of them just wanted us to park their cars in the Church car park. I observed some right looney behaviour though, chap in a 3 series heading down the hill, front wheels turned fully towards the left hand side kerb and he standing on the brake and the car skidding down the hill, he pulled in (road that led to the car park of the now demolished Lough Tavern), turned it and then headed off back up the hill spinning the back wheels. Far easier to go down the hill I would have though. Was weird all these folks thanking myself and the buddy for helping them, we had a great laugh :pac: Off home down via Earlwood Estate, Connolly Road and Pouladuff Rd (collecting kids and dropping off a lady who decided to park up in the church) (all very very slippy but quite passable). Drove into town at 9.30pm and just home now, it's bad out there but not so bad that I could understand how folks can't get out of Mahon Point due to the weather, unless a crash has blocked the road completely or something.

Meant to go into work tomorrow for an hour or so to finish off some muck, don't fancy driving to Ringaskiddy and back though on a day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

im ringaskiddy direction rover. its lovely and white here but id say the roads will be fine. esp the main road. anyway to a man of your driving expertise ...no prob :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Fairdues

What's the news on The South Link Road? Is there much traffic on it today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

dawn-ofdead8i7214734.jpg

dawnofthedead.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Roads are a death trap out in the whites cross-glenville-carrignavar area.

Fairdues wrote: »
    What's the news on The South Link Road? Is there much traffic on it today?

Its fine. Its been gritted and salted heavily. The Park and Ride has been going as usual according to RedFM.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

How is Mahon today? I've tickets booked for the cinema tonight, would like to use them but worried how traffic/roads will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

The roads haven't been gritted in Mahon yet (unless they've been done in the last hour or so). Cars seem to be going up and down alright just a good bit of traffic as the cars are crawling. There were a few crashes last night alright and one or two this morning but MP still seems to be going!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Mahon was grand when I was in it earlier, at around 2pm. South Link was fine too. AS long as you drive slow there should be no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

It's not that bad is it?!?!:eek:

im ringaskiddy direction rover. its lovely and white here but id say the roads will be fine. esp the main road. anyway to a man of your driving expertise ...no prob :D:D

You were right :) Left home at twenty past ten or so and got to work at 11, left at 1pm, loads and loads of cars abandoned on cars hill. Was fine though, Shannonpark Roundabout to Ring was the worst part and that was fine too. Hardly any traffic, when 'tis busy if folks left the correct space between them and the car infront there would be few probs. Lovely and scenic though. The hill up to Loughbeg was potentially bad but I just crawled up it at 10mph or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I wonder if they are eating each other by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

id imagine theyd start eating from the nummerous restraunts, fast food outlets, cafes and tescos before eating eachother. Thats just what id do anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

I'd love to get trapped in Mahon Point (if there will be no zombies there of course) Thinking of venturing out there today, anyone any ideas what the roads are like out there this morning?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Trapped in Mahon Point .... My idea of Hell ....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

professore wrote: »
    Trapped in Mahon Point .... My idea of Hell ....

mine too!
    I was there this morning with the family (we went early) and the roads were fine. Really all this drama just because some people don't know how to drive slowly and allow space between cars, oh and some foresight would be handy too :rolleyes:
    We drove from Passage to Fota House at 9am today and roads were fine too. Take it nice and easy and it's happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Just back in from spending 2 hours clearing the road with the neighbours and pushing 20 cars out of the estate up a big hill. Time well spent. Estate is chronic but main roads fine.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Balmed Out wrote: »
    id imagine theyd start eating from the nummerous restraunts, fast food outlets, cafes and tescos before eating eachother. Thats just what id do anyhow.

I believe that they only had 3 months supplies hence the panic..... or so I heard from a friend of a friends best-mates sisters boyfriend who knows someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Cillerz

RoverJames wrote: »
    :eek: went to the gym at about 6.30pm with a friend, came out at 8pm surprised to encounter fairly bad road conditions, under the snow was very slippy. Went from the Western Road to the Lough Church without incident, however just after the Church a car had skidded onto the other side heading down the hill, all traffic was stopped coming up the hill due to the obstruction.

Lough Church grounds is a real dangerous spot for the ice. Last week, it was the worst spot walking to college, everyone was slipping!

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Mahon Point is definitley fine - was there last night. But you obviously need to take it handy and use common sense. Hard to believe there are still a few tail gaters out there and eejits rounding corners at speed.

If you are nervous, just park in the ground floor car park. Main roads around there are grand. If walking, watch the foot paths though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

poconnor16 wrote: »
    If you are nervous...

that is the problem right there, there should not be one nervous driver on our roads, ice or no ice. A nervous driver is a dangerous driver, just as dangerous as a cocky driver who speeds around the place. Pity the majority of people don't realise this.

that is the problem right there, there should not be one nervous driver on our roads, ice or no ice. A nervous driver is a dangerous driver, just as dangerous as a cocky driver who speeds around the place. Pity the majority of people don't realise this.

On the ball....nervous drivers are just as dangerous.
    I blame the testing system in this country, its too easy to get a full license and never test again. Same for elderly drivers....they never have to re-test.I know elderly people need to get around too, but I also know in Australia, drivers over a certain age have to re-test, get eye checks etc.

But such is planet Ireland, and everyone (with full license) has the right to drive. Including foreign nationals with no tax and insurance. :rolleyes: So we all need to have eyes on the back of our heads!

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

poconnor16 wrote: »
    On the ball....nervous drivers are just as dangerous.
    I blame the testing system in this country, its too easy to get a full license and never test again. Same for elderly drivers....they never have to re-test.I know elderly people need to get around too, but I also know in Australia, drivers over a certain age have to re-test, get eye checks etc.

But such is planet Ireland, and everyone (with full license) has the right to drive. Including foreign nationals with no tax and insurance. :rolleyes: So we all need to have eyes on the back of our heads!

This does happen in Ireland, Everyone over 65 must have a medical to say they are fit to drive from there doctor before they get there licence.
    The Doctor says how long you can drive for before being retested. from 1 -3 years.

the medical cover Eye, Ear, reflex and general heath. But i guess if you having hear of it, it doesnt happen in your world.

• Advertisement

This does happen in Ireland, Everyone over 65 must have a medical to say they are fit to drive from there doctor before they get there licence.
    The Doctor says how long you can drive for before being retested. from 1 -3 years.

the medical cover Eye, Ear, reflex and general heath. But i guess if you having hear of it, it doesnt happen in your world.

Is the check mandatory every 2 years? Or just a once off once you hit 65? In my world (which by the way is the same one you live in Region > South > Cork City) I dont know of anyone who has been subjected to this test every 2 years. If this does happen and I am misinformed, thanks for educating me.

Thats how it was done in Sydney when I lived there....just think it is a great idea.

Advertisement