Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What the hell!?

• 18-12-2010 1:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭

What the hell!?

Just watching South Park on MTV. Late night chill out session. Ad break came on. Very strange ad came on. At the end, some text. Scientology.org.

Seriously? This **** is being beamed into houses?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Seriously? You're ****ing joking me?

South Park on MTV...??

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Bloody hell..... run for cover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Xenu can track your IP address,be very afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Yeah i know, i hate South Park too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Senna wrote: »
    Yeah i know, i hate South Park too.

That's ok, South Park hates you, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

What the hell!?

Just watching South Park on MTV. Late night chill out session. Ad break came on. Very strange ad came on. At the end, some text. Scientology.org.

RTE, 6pm weekdays, angelus.

mad sh1t altogether

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

krudler wrote: »
    RTE, 6pm weekdays, angelus.

mad sh1t altogether

Controversial! Your so cool and the church is so like gay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Grimes wrote: »

My so cool what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Russia Today is by far my favourite news channel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

What the hell!?

Scientology is just another business looking for customers.

Let them advertise, you don't have to buy their junk.

The church does it too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭greenmachine88

TheZohan wrote: »

Imagine that 50 years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Say what you want about Scientology, but Tom Cruise has a great arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

No, just showing that it's the exact same thing being treated with a double standard.

Whats Controversial is the fact we don't even notice the Angelus anymore because it's been rammed into the belief/fear system of generations of people around the world. While the former is just dissmissed of hand because it's new when it's exactly the same thing. Imagine switching both around, would the same double standard hold up, most likely yes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Say what you want about Scientology, but Tom Cruise has a great arse.

It's toned, from all his running in movies.

Please let someone get that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

Rabies wrote: »
    Scientology is just another business looking for customers.

Let them advertise, you don't have to buy their junk.

The church does it too

Exactly. Have never understood the knee-jerk hatred that scientology seems to inspire.
    As you said, they're no different than any other religion or business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ascanbe wrote: »
    Exactly. Have never understood the knee-jerk hatred that scientology seems to inspire. As you said, they're no different than any other religion or business.

Not really.

There is an element of inter-fantastist slagging from mainstream religions, but in my experience Scientologists do prey on the weak and vulnerable in ways that other religions tend not to for moral reasons and that most businesses would shy away from.

I've seen how they operate. It's not nice.

Lumen wrote: »
    Not really.

There is an element of inter-fantastist slagging from mainstream religions, but in my experience Scientologists do prey on the weak and vulnerable in ways that other religions tend not to for moral reasons and that most businesses would shy away from.

Really? You might want to look into the lengths 'mainstream' religions have gone to in order to attract/co-opt converts/believers.
    And most of the worlds most successful businesses not only don't shy away from preying on the weak and vulnerable; doing so is their very life-blood.
    Being 'nice' doesn't come into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ascanbe wrote: »
    Really? You might want to look into the lengths 'mainstream' religions have gone to in order to attract/co-opt converts/believers.
    And most of the worlds most successful businesses not only don't shy away from preying on the weak and vulnerable; doing so is their very life-blood.
    Being 'nice' doesn't come into it.

My views are informed by personal experience.

I'm an atheist and I married a Catholic. As part of this process the priest spent a little time asking me about my faith and explaining his work. I asked around about the sort of work he did in the community. For the most part it was counselling people who'd had a really hard time in life, like a woman who'd only child had died who got some comfort and from his faith. For this he asked nothing in return, although obviously the Church does accept donations.

By contrast, my sister was once going through a really hard time with self-esteem issues and was suffering from a severe eating disorder. She got caught up with the Scientologists who relieved her of hundreds of pounds and only made her feel worse.

So, in my experience, priest = nice guy, Scientologists = nasty greedy manipulative assholes.

Maybe your experience differs.

• Advertisement

I'm an atheist and I married a Catholic. As part of this process the priest spent a little time asking me about my faith and explaining his work. I asked around about the sort of work he did in the community. For the most part it was counselling people who'd had a really hard time in life, like a woman who'd only child had died who got some comfort and from his faith. For this he asked nothing in return, although obviously the Church does accept donations.

By contrast, my sister was once going through a really hard time with self-esteem issues and was suffering from a severe eating disorder. She got caught up with the Scientologists who relieved her of hundreds of pounds and only made her feel worse.

So, in my experience, priest = nice guy, Scientologists = nasty greedy manipulative assholes.

Well, i certainly wouldn't dismiss your personal experience; and can see how that would influence your overall viewpoint.
    To be honest, i haven't had experiences of either that cut that close to the bone and i try to take an academic viewpoint; if i had, perhaps i wouldn't be able to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Say what you want about Scientology, but Tom Cruise hasis a greatshort arse.

FYP.:P

Not really.

Other older religions prey on kids from a young age, just look at most schools in the world.
    Scientology is a baby in the religious world. Wasn't even around in our grandparents time.
    They us different tactics to get in to people's heads, make them believe, and get small donations but in a mass amount.
    Other religions are more subtle about things, and take a little here and there but over millions of people and thousands of years it has made them powerful and rich.
    No matter the religion, cult or extremist group, there will always be people that had great positives experiences with them, others not so fortunate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i thought you were going to say you saw music on mtv, those were the days

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭MadPatrick

Gay for kids!!

Oh, Snap!!

i thought you were going to say you saw music on mtv, those were the days

they also had some crazy mtv adverts.
    Now its a sell out :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Xenu can track your IP address,be very afraid.

You can avoid this by turning away if the ad comes on or close your eyes.

As long as there's religion taught in school, then it's a double standard to complain about scientology adverts.

Christianity, Scientology and the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster all fall into the exact same bracket in my mind. I can't see any difference whatsoever because there's none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

By contrast, my sister was once going through a really hard time with self-esteem issues and was suffering from a severe eating disorder. She got caught up with the Scientologists who relieved her of hundreds of pounds

Nice of them to help her lose weight. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Reminds me of the Scientologist chiropractor I used to go to - very good at relieving you of money, not so good at pain relief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

Il Papa's fave vid.

FACT

Advertisement