Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

snow chains

Options
  • 18-12-2010 2:23am

Does anyone know where to buy a set of snow chains? We tried Halfords in Drogheda but they don't sell them. Don't want to have to go too far to get them this close to Christmas. My parents need a set and was going to get them some for Christmas, but if there is any more snow they might just get a used set since we have to get ourselves to Wexford Christmas Eve too!

If you know of anywhere in the Balbriggan area that has them, great, otherwise willing to travel as far south as Swords! :eek:We get nosebleeds being that far south.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I wouldn't recommend snow chains for use on Irish roads as the snow is never usuaally deep enough for them. As a result they badly damage the road surface.

You would be better getting a set of 'winter tyres' which are better suited to Irish winter weather conditions.

It may not be practical to get your folks a full set of tyres though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Hill Billy wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend snow chains for use on Irish roads as the snow is never usuaally deep enough for them. As a result they badly damage the road surface.

You would be better getting a set of 'winter tyres' which are better suited to Irish winter weather conditions.

It may not be practical to get your folks a full set of tyres though. :)

Providing your car isn't a 4Wheel Drive you should be able to get away with 2 snowtyres I'm told. You can expect to pay in excess of €75 per tyre brand new. The best value I've found is that tyre place on Convent Lane - sorry I can't remember the name of it at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

You need all 4 if getting snow tyres. Just go to YouTube to see what happens when you only use 2.

Basically in a front wheel drive with 2 snow tyres the back can loose grip when braking and step out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

You can get a thing called snow socks. Easier to put on than chaons and less damaging tothe.road. they are in b and q airside. On the left as you go in the door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Eoineo wrote: »
    The best value I've found is that tyre place on Convent Lane - sorry I can't remember the name of it at the moment.
    Glen Tyres

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A lot of people are confusing snow tyres with winter tyres. Snow tyres are quite difficult to get and usually have to be ordered in advance. They are specifically for driving on heavy snow and will wear out in days on clear roads. Most people who use them have additional wheels with the snow tyres fitted and simply swap the wheels when required.

Winter tyres are more readily available and are designed to be used when the temp is below 7 degrees. They can be used on clear roads but are unsuitable when temperature rise.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

There's a long thread about winter tyres over in Motoring, and they've further threads on snow socks also, might be of use OP for sourcing tyres/snow socks?

Thanks guys!

Advertisement