Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best AV Receiver + Speaker System Package for Sony PS3

• 18-12-2010 3:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

I am looking for some advice regarding a AV Receiver + Speaker System Package best Suited for PS3. I have a 42" Samsung HD ready Plasma in a small living room. My budget is around 300 Euro.

What about ONKYO HT-S3305B for £199 @ Pixmania - http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/6711738/art/onkyo/ht-s3305b-3d-ready-5-1ch.html

Any other suggestions?

Have you seen any Sony PS3 + AV Receiver + Speaker System Combo deals anywhere?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 omr1976

It all depends of the budget.
    In mid-range I would recommend the Onkyo TX-SR608, or the Yamaha 667.
    Speakers, Monitor Audio RX6, or in a cheaper version the BX6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 futzbucket

Sup, net.

The best sound system for you depends upon two main factors.

1) What you plan to use it for.
    This will tell you what "languages" the reciever will need to know.

2) The area size needed to fill with sound
    This will give you a good indication as to the wattage needed.

Sounds like to me your system is comprised of only a PS3 and a HDTV. Being you described your livingroom as "small", and you're working with a budget of 300, I'm going to assume your set-up is a standard couch that can fit three people comfortably and it's loacated about six feet away from the HDTV.

You don't have much to work with, but the good news is you really don't need much. The 1,000 watts you desire would most defintly fill that area will plenty of sound, but you trully don't need that much wattage.

Also, an area that small...do you really want to fill it with speakers? Do you have the room?

If my assumptions are correct, I highly suggest you consider a 5.1 sound bar. When the bar is positioned directly in front of a small audience (perfect for a couch), it can deliver the illusion of 5.1 surround sound without surrounding the couch with speakers. No one sitting on the couch will be able to tell the difference, and most soundbars can deliver this kind of quality up to about eight feet from the bar.

The problem is anyone not directly in front of the bar, or sitting behind something in the bar's sound path, will think the sound is terrible.

When it comes to what "languages" the unit must know, to get the most from your PS3 without spending alot of money, all it needs to know is Dolby 5.1. Every single PS3 disc game supports Dolby 5.1, most DVD's do, and all Bluerays do. While it's nice to have something that can pump out all those other options, you simply can't find that kind of support without buying something that, frankly, is too much for the small area you have.

Besides, it sounds like to me this is your first system, so even one that just does Dolby 5.1 will blow your mind.

Sony just made a soundbar.
    http://www.amazon.com/PS3-Surround-Sound-System-Playstation-3/dp/B003WY86KM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1293799461&sr=8-1
    I'm not saying to go with this one, but something like this is (what I think) just right for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭net4hack

Thanks futzbucket,
    My living room is only 7 x 12 feet in size. So doesnt require too much power. But I still prefer a AV Receiver + Speaker System as the all in ones doesnt have capability to pocesss audio over HDMI.

Advertisement